power supply survey

piggin

Question

Please post the power supply you use for your home station. And if you can the voltage and current supplied.

I have various supplies here but primarily use Astron 35m power supplies. I have a couple of them for ham and gmrs use.

I heavily prefer linear supplies because I can service and repair them. YMMV so what do you use?

10 answers to this question

On 9/22/2024 at 2:57 AM, piggin said:

Please post the power supply you use for your home station. And if you can the voltage and current supplied.

I have various supplies here but primarily use Astron 35m power supplies. I have a couple of them for ham and gmrs use.

I heavily prefer linear supplies because I can service and repair them. YMMV so what do you use?

I use a Samlex SEC-1235P-M: 

https://www.gigaparts.com/samlex-30-amp-switching-power-supply-sec-1235p-m.html?utm_term=sku-zsx-sec-1235p-m&gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAAD_py5G3Q-Q2eOlI8fLnlgFs9AnfE&gclid=Cj0KCQjwgL-3BhDnARIsAL6KZ68TS4vz1CjA9wsIyptiCwjRbU8ypB2GThTm6P2B9wP3CRI0OUKR-d4aArG-EALw_wcB

13.8 volts at whatever current the radio plus other accessories plugged into a powerpole distribution panel require at the time (up to 30 A continuous).  It’s small and lightweight. When my ham radio is set to 100 watts the power supply current meter shows 23 amps.  It has a fan that comes on sometimes that is louder than I would like (any fan would be) but that’s a minor whine.

I am running a R&L Electronics 30 Amp power supply for my GMRS and dual band radios and a Tel-Power 50 amp power supply for my 100 watt HF radio and LDG auto tuner.

I leave both set at a constant 13.8 V output. The 30 Amp power supply is fine for both 50 watt radios since I never transmit on both radios at the same time. I had to go with the 50 amp power supply for my HF setup. I was running a n Astron 30 amp power supply but it wasn't enough for the radio and auto tuner and would go into protection mode.

For those looking at getting a power supply, remember that most manufacturers rate them at the maximum amp draw and not the constant amp draw. So a 30 Amp power supply will really only give you between 22 and 24 amps of continuous  power.

I would like to switch to linear power supplies but they are definitely more expensive.

80amp continuous rv power supply. Adjustable voltage from 12-16volts. I run it at 14.1 all day. I can transmit on a 50w a 40w and a 20w radio all at the same time as well as a 12v led light strip and have no loss of power.  Been running it for years, good clean power zero noise.  and at $100 I can toss it in the garbage if something happens to it. 

Alinco DM-30tr here...it has a switch for straight 13.8v or variable that I leave set to 13.8. rated for 20a continuous, 30 peak; it's been powering my shack since 2020, and at one point had 3 radios hooked up (2 single band Vertex for 2m & 70cm, and a BTech for GMRS).  Currently I just have a dual band yaesu hooked up. I also occasionally use the power poles on the front, either adapted to a 12v socket or direct, for low power needs.

It's also not quite enough to run the HF radio at full power (which wants 22a, per the manufacturer), but I haven't gotten around to setting up a permanent antenna for that so I don't use it indoors anyway; have a couple batteries I use for that.

As @WRYZ926 mentioned, watch the ratings; most manufacturers just list the "peak" rating, and the continuous is a bit lower once you dig into the specs (and they vary how much lower), but a few actually list the continuous number.

54 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

Alinco DM-30tr here...it has a switch for straight 13.8v or variable that I leave set to 13.8. rated for 20a continuous, 30 peak; it's been powering my shack since 2020, and at one point had 3 radios hooked up (2 single band Vertex for 2m & 70cm, and a BTech for GMRS).  Currently I just have a dual band yaesu hooked up. I also occasionally use the power poles on the front, either adapted to a 12v socket or direct, for low power needs.

It's also not quite enough to run the HF radio at full power (which wants 22a, per the manufacturer), but I haven't gotten around to setting up a permanent antenna for that so I don't use it indoors anyway; have a couple batteries I use for that.

As @WRYZ926 mentioned, watch the ratings; most manufacturers just list the "peak" rating, and the continuous is a bit lower once you dig into the specs (and they vary how much lower), but a few actually list the continuous number.

You can figure that the continuous power output is between 75% and 80% of the advertised peak output. This will differ from one manufacturer to another. Some are 75% while others are 80%.