zello app linking

sonnyguz920

Does anyone know if it's legal to link GMRS repeaters to the Zello app and create a channel? I'm starting to see owners all over doing that here in the USA and Canada. However I do think it's a good idea. If it's mainly ment to be used by family members it's great to stay in touch when out of range and in the event of anemergency.

I will allow someone else to step in and answer the legality of it. I know in past discussions, linking via RF is prohibited. But I don't recall anything over the internet. I've already got my project parts coming in for my link. The last thing I need to order is a directional antenna, since I don't have quick access to my site and I'm still experimenting with Zello, I'd like to keep it at home for a bit and play around with it. Hope your question gets answered! 

Does anyone know if it's legal to link GMRS repeaters to the Zello app and create a channel? I'm starting to see owners all over doing that here in the USA and Canada. However I do think it's a good idea. If it's mainly ment to be used by family members it's great to stay in touch when out of range and in the event of anemergency.

Well, there is a risk of an unlicensed person getting on the zello channel and using the repeater.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

Well, there is a risk of an unlicensed person getting on the zello channel and using the repeater.

AntiSquid Disclaimer: All posted content is personal opinion only and may not imply fact or accusation.

Depending on what permissions you have set. In my case its only being used by me and my buddy if either of us are out of range or don't have a reliable signal. The repeater we're on is about 15 miles away in a rough spot putting out 40 watts, its not the highest spot in the area. I'm within range most of the time, but for those rare times him or I am not, we still have a way to communicate with the users on it. The Zello Channel is passworded as well as Zelect+ were only Admins, Mods, or Trusted Users can talk and listen. So its pretty secure as far as that goes. 

Depending on what permissions you have set. In my case its only being used by me and my buddy if either of us are out of range or don't have a reliable signal. The repeater we're on is about 15 miles away in a rough spot putting out 40 watts, its not the highest spot in the area. I'm within range most of the time, but for those rare times him or I am not, we still have a way to communicate with the users on it. The Zello Channel is passworded as well as Zelect+ were only Admins, Mods, or Trusted Users can talk and listen. So its pretty secure as far as that goes.

Yeah....that's true.

After some unsuccsessfull attempts on an RF link, I have been giving some thought on this as well. There are a few repeaters in my area using Zello.  

i think its a great idea if you can link local repeaters together to gain more coverage. Myself, I'm not into the phone app stuff, I'm into radio's, if i have to use my smart phone to make a contact, why dont i just call you on the cell.....just my thought

• 2 weeks later...

After some unsuccsessfull attempts on an RF link, I have been giving some thought on this as well. There are a few repeaters in my area using Zello.  

i think its a great idea if you can link local repeaters together to gain more coverage. Myself, I'm not into the phone app stuff, I'm into radio's, if i have to use my smart phone to make a contact, why dont i just call you on the cell.....just my thought

A way around the cell phone while driving laws....

• 5 weeks later...

UPDATE:I called the FCC to ask this question and they said its NOT elegal. Only if you connect a phone to the repeater. zello is considered data that is a gray area and their are NO rules on that at this time. So until they come up with some kind if law on it it's perfectly legal to link Zello with GMRS repeaters says the FCC.