New to GMRS

xplorer313

Hey everyone, so I'm new to GMRS and I just finished the install of the Midland MXT115 into my overlanding rig last night. My overlanding partner and I bought the radios for truck to truck coms during our trips. I'm a bit confused as to what I'm required to do before broadcasting. I know that using the GMRS is a bit like HAM but being that I'm more knowledgeable with CB and that I haven't ever used GMRS or HAM before, I'm kinda lost. Anyone wanna point me in the right direction? Maybe a thread or website I can read the procedures on how to use the airways properly? Thanks in advance!

https://midlandusa.com/product/mxt115-micromobile-2-way-radio/

Congratulations, and welcome to the GMRS community. The first thing to know is that you must identity with your FCC issued call sign. At the beginning of your transmission, then about every ten minutes. The ham world has a whole world of protocols some of which apply only to certain bands. GMRS is much simpler. Just remember to ID when transmitting.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Congratulations, and welcome to the GMRS community. The first thing to know is that you must identity with your FCC issued call sign. At the beginning of your transmission, then about every ten minutes. The ham world has a whole world of protocols some of which apply only to certain bands. GMRS is much simpler. Just remember to ID when transmitting.

So basically I just say "this is WQYY816, do xxxxxxx copy"? And then if I'm transmitting for longer than 10 minutes I just say "this is WQYY816 on the air"? Lol like idk exactly what to say. I know I'm suppose to use my call sign but is there a certain thing I should say with it?

Interesting choice in radios. Let us know how they do when you hit the open road.

We're making our big trip during Easter weekend. So the radios will get some use, close distance and possibly long distance of one of us need to split off for any reason.

If you have Facebook or Instagram, look us up and follow along if you'd like; Mid-Atlantic Expeditions

So basically I just say "this is WQYY816, do xxxxxxx copy"? And then if I'm transmitting for longer than 10 minutes I just say "this is WQYY816 on the air"? Lol like idk exactly what to say. I know I'm suppose to use my call sign but is there a certain thing I should say with it?

Close. The accepted radio procedure-not a rule but a way to keep everyone on the same page-. Is to say the station you are calling then your own call sign. For example if I were trying to contact you, I would say

"WQYY816, WQYQ485"

You would answer by saying

"WQYQ485, WQYY816 go ahead"

Then every 10 minutes....

"WQYY816"

Then when you are done with that conversation..

"WQYY816, clear"

You can review protocols and what is required as listed in Part 95A of the Commission Rules located in the link below.   Welcome to the Forum and welcome to GMRS radio.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=72b61b708f0ce25ea78b21b0aed4e95b&node=47:5.0.1.1.5&rgn=div5

If I remember correctly, your radio package MAY HAVE included a magnetic mount low profile antenna. Is that the antenna that you will be using in your mobile installation?

There are mobile GAIN style magnetic mount antennas that may give you better performance (range)  by increasing both transmit Effective Radiated Power and receiver capabilities - this is just one of many:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRS-GMRS-4-5dB-MAGNET-MOUNT-ANTENNA-PL-259-KIT-/311666948584

Also, for members here - please review data for the 40 watt version of this radio , Model MXT400

https://midlandusa.com/product/mxt400-micromobile-2-way-radio-2/

Close. The accepted radio procedure-not a rule but a way to keep everyone on the same page-. Is to say the station you are calling then your own call sign. For example if I were trying to contact you, I would say

"WQYY816, WQYQ485"

"WQYY816"

"WQYY816, clear"

Got it! Thank you for that.

You can review protocols and what is required as listed in Part 95A of the Commission Rules located in the link below. Welcome to the Forum and welcome to GMRS radio.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=72b61b708f0ce25ea78b21b0aed4e95b&node=47:5.0.1.1.5&rgn=div5

If I remember correctly, your radio package MAY HAVE included a magnetic mount low profile antenna. Is that the antenna that you will be using in your mobile installation?

There are mobile GAIN style magnetic mount antennas that may give you better performance (range) by increasing both transmit Effective Radiated Power and receiver capabilities - this is just one of many:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRS-GMRS-4-5dB-MAGNET-MOUNT-ANTENNA-PL-259-KIT-/311666948584

Also, for members here - please review data for the 40 watt version of this radio , Model MXT400

https://midlandusa.com/product/mxt400-micromobile-2-way-radio-2/

Thank you for the links and welcome. I do plan on using the magnetic mounted antenna for now. I'm a little iffy about drilling holes in my roof for a NMO mount (from what I've researched online reguarding a different antenna). After I upgrade the front bumper of the 4Runner to a metal bumper, I'll most likely move the antenna to it utilizing a NMO mount.

This is the recommendation as posted in the owner's manual for MicroMobile radios regarding antenna location.  A UHF antenna needs a metal surface to 'radiate' off of. The larger, the better. Your bumper choice may not provide enough surface area.

Midland Data:

" Installing the Antenna

To get the best range from the MXT400 an external antenna (50Ω) should
be used. The antenna is intended to be attached to the vehicle’s roof,
  trunk or similar location. Specific installation requirements vary between
  vehicles. Use the following guidelines to install the antenna.
*     Where you locate your antenna does make a difference.   *

1 Metal surfaces covered by fiberglass or vinyl may affect radio range.
      Avoid these locations.
 2. Mount the antenna as high on the vehicle as possible. The higher the
     better.
 3 . If possible, mount the antenna in the center of whatever surface you
choose.
 4 . The antenna cable is 19.7 feet (6 meters) long. Be sure the mounting
          location will allow for connection of the cable to the radio.
 5. Be sure the mounting location is clean and dry before installing the
       antenna.
 6. Route the antenna cable through an accessible entry point, such as a
      rear door or trunk opening.
 7. When routing the antenna cable inside the vehicle, keep the cable
         away from noise sources, such as the ignition system, gauges, etc.
 8. Exercise care to prevent cable damage. Make use of existing gaskets,
        grommets and weather stripping to protect the cable along its route."

Good luck with your project.

Thank you for the links and welcome. I do plan on using the magnetic mounted antenna for now. I'm a little iffy about drilling holes in my roof for a NMO mount (from what I've researched online reguarding a different antenna). After I upgrade the front bumper of the 4Runner to a metal bumper, I'll most likely move the antenna to it utilizing a NMO mount.

Mounting a UHF antenna on the bumper of any vehicle will yield very poor performance. The body of the vehicle will block the signal for 180 degrees and there will be almost no ground plane for the other 180 degrees. This is not a good idea. UHF behaves much differently than the lower frequency bands.

It is a proven fact that drilling a hole and mounting an antenna will not detract from the resale value of the vehicle. There are caps available for the NMO mounts or you can remove the mount and seal the hole with a rubber plug. Both are specifically marketed for this purpose.

You will get drastically improved performance by simply mounting the NMO in the middle of the roof and using a 1/4 wave antenna which is only about 6" long. Moving to a gain antenna can further improve performance, but at the cost of a much longer antenna. I'd recommend trying the 1/4 wave spike first.

Wow, what a small world. I just received my license a few days ago, and also bought a Midland MXT115 to install on my Toyota 4Runner. Even weirder, I vaguely know the OP (either Leon or Phil) from Instagram and the Overland Bound group (@explore_the_usa and "Steve", respectively.) And like @xplorer313, I'm completely new to GMRS, coming from CB back in the '70s as my only previous two-way radio experience.

So thanks for all of the information so far in this thread to help another beginner.

Steve

"WQYY816, WQYQ485"

"WQYY816"

"WQYY816, clear"

I will just add that for GMRS, the ID interval is 15 minutes, not 10. 10 minutes is a HAM requirement. 

There is an almost daily "community rag chew" on the Joliet, IL GMRS repeater that sometimes lasts over two hours... Everyone identifies with their call even more frequently than absolutely required, just to be on the safe side... ;)

It's a phenomenal repeater now that the owner has the stick at ~500' on a new tower location. Previously the repeater had been located on top of a 17 story building... that unfortunately was at a much lower elevation; pretty much in a hole! :unsure:

There is an almost daily "community rag chew" on the Joliet, IL GMRS repeater that sometimes lasts over two hours... Everyone identifies with their call even more frequently than absolutely required, just to be on the safe side... ;)

It's a phenomenal repeater now that the owner has the stick at ~500' on a new tower location. Previously the repeater had been located on top of a 17 story building... that unfortunately was at a much lower elevation; pretty much in a hole! :unsure:

What kind of range are you getting with the repeater at 500 ft. in all that Indiana flat land?

What kind of range are you getting with the repeater at 500 ft. in all that Indiana flat land?

I am 47 airline miles from the tower and can easily get into the repeater from my mobile (both the TH-7800 dual band and my CS800 DMR in analog mode).

I've also manage to get in from my 4 watt XPR7550 DMR in analog mode, albeit not full quieting.

Prior to the relocation, I could barely get into it from my radio room using a hi-gain rooftop mounted antenna. From what the owner told me the other day, with the ground elevation taken into consideration, the "height" now is equivalent to around 560'. The repeater is a venerable Micor that's been around for a very long time. Motorola equipment from that era doesn't want to die...  B)

I am 47 airline miles from the tower and can easily get into the repeater from my mobile (both the TH-7800 dual band and my CS800 DMR in analog mode).

I've also manage to get in from my 4 watt XPR7550 DMR in analog mode, albeit not full quieting.

Prior to the relocation, I could barely get into it from my radio room using a hi-gain rooftop mounted antenna. From what the owner told me the other day, with the ground elevation taken into consideration, the "height" now is equivalent to around 560'. The repeater is a venerable Micor that's been around for a very long time. Motorola equipment from that era doesn't want to die...  B)

That's fantastic! Thanks for the update.  Sounds like you may have a lot more people using the repeaters in your area than we have in our area.