Bubble pack question GMRS channel question

Guest GUEST

Guest GUEST

Hello,

I just purchased some Motorola MT350R. The purpose for these is for hiking/camping/outdoor use for the family. I went ahead and purchased a GMRS license so I would be "legal".

My question is this... Which channel can I use that is GMRS but not on a repeater? I don't want to accidentally get on someone's repeater (at all, but especially without permission). I just want to know which GMRS channels I can use when I am out in the woods with my kids without getting in trouble... Thanks.

Hello,

I just purchased some Motorola MT350R. The purpose for these is for hiking/camping/outdoor use for the family. I went ahead and purchased a GMRS license so I would be "legal".

My question is this... Which channel can I use that is GMRS but not on a repeater? I don't want to accidentally get on someone's repeater (at all, but especially without permission). I just want to know which GMRS channels I can use when I am out in the woods with my kids without getting in trouble... Thanks.

I looked over the manual for that radio, and it doesn't appear that it can do repeater frequencies. Channels 15 to 22 are GMRS simplex channels. Feel free to use any one of them. Generally, pick one that no one else in your area is using to avoid interference.

I would encourage you to read the manual and get familiar with all the features that radio has to offer.

In addition to Steve's comment, I also want to point out that you're also welcome to use the FRS channels (Channel's 8-14) and Channel's 1-7 are FRS and GMRS shared. If you're not very far, FRS is still nice. Sometimes when I walk to a local shop that is about a six minute walk away from home, I use FRS with my family back home for shopping lists (just a few items that I don't feel the need for a vehicle) and FRS has clear transmit and receive for me handheld to handheld. I understand in case of an emergency when communication is dependent, you may not want to use FRS if you doubt your distance. I'm just answering the question about which channels you can use with no GMRS repeaters. So, technically any and all.

Guest GUEST

Ok. Thanks for the info... I have read through the manual and am getting more comfortable with the features but I just don't understand the channel well. If there is no interference - do all channels transmit the same or will I find that some channels transmit better than others based on location? For example is it possible that Channel 16 is more clear than Channel 18 in my area? Do I just have to play around with the different channels to find one that works best?

Thank you for all the help...

Ok. Thanks for the info... I have read through the manual and am getting more comfortable with the features but I just don't understand the channel well. If there is no interference - do all channels transmit the same or will I find that some channels transmit better than others based on location? For example is it possible that Channel 16 is more clear than Channel 18 in my area? Do I just have to play around with the different channels to find one that works best?

Thank you for all the help...

All the channels are very close together so it it highly unlikely that there will be much difference from channel to channel. Find a quiet channel and have at it.

Just understand that your radios transmit at 0.5 watts for the FRS only frequencies and about 1.5 watts for the GMRS and GMRS/FRS frequencies. That means that you should be able to reach out further on any of the GMRS or GMRS/FRS channels.

Just remember that terrain and buildings can be obstacles to radio signals. Elevation matters, too. Woodlands can impair them, but you'll have to experiment in your particular settings to be sure.

• 1 month later...

Your radio would be set up like this:

CH01 462.5625 *
CH02 462.5875 *
CH03 462.6125 *
CH04 462.6375 *
CH05 462.6625 *
CH06 462.6875 *
CH07 462.7125 *
CH08 467.5625
CH09 467.5875
CH10 467.6125
CH11 467.6373
CH12 467.6625
CH13 467.8874
CH14 467.7125

15 through 22 use the following frequencies, though channel designators do not follow in order, depending on the model of radio used:

Please bear in mind, use of any channel *except* channels 7-14 require an FCC GMRS license   

https://www.scribd.com/doc/122353140/GMRS-Frequencies-to-Channels-Chart

I thought channels 1-7 only required a GMRS license if being used above the legal FRS power limit considering those channels are FRS/GMRS shared and a lot of "bubble pack" radios have low/high power to select on those channels to comply?

Well those channels transmit in wide band, which is GMRS only. FRS only permits narrow band use under current Rules.

Sent from my LG-D631 using Tapatalk

Okay, I see. Anyone know why those channels are shared?

The original 14 channel frs only radios did have those channels as narrow band. When they created frs, they dropped the frs channels in and between some pre existing GMRS frequencies.

When the New regulations take effect, sometime in the coming couple months, all 22 channels on bubble pack radios will be legal for frs users with a 2 watt limit. Frs users will be able to use the wide band channels.

The original 14 channel frs only radios did have those channels as narrow band. When they created frs, they dropped the frs channels in and between some pre existing GMRS frequencies.

When the New regulations take effect, sometime in the coming couple months, all 22 channels on bubble pack radios will be legal for frs users with a 2 watt limit. Frs users will be able to use the wide band channels.

Oh, interesting. I never looked into those old FRS only radios. I did look through the new regulations, but, mostly CB as I was too lazy to read that much. I wonder if some manufactures will put out some new handhelds to work with those new regulations. Thanks.