Handheld antenna question

WQWI871

Question

Last week the SMA Female fitting on one of my handheld antennas got separated from the base of the antenna. I don't know what went on, I didn't lean on it, it just happened. I assume I fixed it, because I was able to reach repeaters I don't think I would've reached, and, radio checks were fine. Meter doesn't indicate anything, either. I threaded the fitting back into the antenna base, which, seems to be how the fitting was connected. But, I just wanted to be sure if anyone is familiar with how most SMA Female fittings are installed? The fitting on the radio seems fine.

13 answers to this question

Oh. You're implying to use a BNC to SMA F adapter to connect a BNC antenna to a radio with an SMA fitting? If so, sorry, I guess that's why I didn't understand, I thought you meant to use a BNC to SMA F adapter to connect a SMA F antenna, which didn't make sense to me. I have a couple BNC to SMA adapters, but, all of my antennas are SMA F, I don't often find any BNC antennas that I'm interested in for my wants and needs. I'd also like to avoid adapters to reduce bulk and loss. My current most used antennas have a small base that is about the size of the fitting that is threaded inside, so, most of what's exposed is just the whip, which can take a lot more than the base.

I wasn't saying that using an adapter was bulky, I was saying that I like to reduce bulk by avoiding anything unnecessary. Although It's not what I call overly large, It's not as using a direct connection, either. Even some whips I don't use for that reason. I do sacrifice aspects at time to accept the compromise which I gain, but, that depends if what I gain "I" feel is worth the compromise. For the situation of the fitting popping off rarely happening, and the odds of me needing to use a BNC antenna (and finding / purchasing a BNC just to use), the additional addon is just not worth it. Not saying that I lose a lot from it, but, I don't gain a lot that I would value to use it over that loss.

ok, in my case, all of my HT's have the BNC adapter on them, so around the house, "where our repeater is located" I use Low power and a Nagoya Nub "BNC" antenna, combined smaller than original antenna, and more gain, and allows me to swap out to a piece of LMR400 coming from a UHF antenna on my tower for Dx'ing. and still allow for quick deployment when I get in my truck. It's a convenience thing. It may not be a "thing" for you or your application. did my best explaining. since I could not seem to up load pic's.

Edited by Logan5

Bulk? It added no bulk at all. And It is much easier to break down for packing up in my EDC.

Not sure how to add a photo, but here's a link to my BaoFeng 

http://imgur.com/qc29tAc

agreed adds no bulk and quick deployment and as referenced, quick break down. not to mention having quick change out of HT antennas. For me BNC is a Win/Win

Does anyone know of an industry chart detailing losses in various types and styles of RF connectors?    That might be a good resource to refer to - and if one can be found, the staff would be happy to pin it to the top of the Technical Discussion area.

We were able to locate a chart for frequency cut off, but didn't come up with anything in a simple search about losses.

Thanks...

https://www.amphenolrf.com/frequency-range-chart/

ok, in my case, all of my HT's have the BNC adapter on them, so around the house, "where our repeater is located" I use Low power and a Nagoya Nub USB antenna, combined smaller than original antenna, and more gain, and allows me to swap out to a piece of LMR400 coming from a UHF antenna on my tower for Dx'ing. and still allow for quick deployment when I get in my truck. It's a convenience thing. It may not be a "thing" for you or your application. did my best explaining. since I could not seem to up load pic's.

Oh, okay. Well, that's nice. And I understand how quick BNC connectors are. I just thought, for me, When I am home, I use my shack and no need for a handheld unless there's a power outage as I don't have another power source aside from batteries, so, handhelds would be nice. I just use handhelds when I'm away from home, which is not often. I'm home most of the time. For the times I am out, usually It's just comms with someone else not far (family that may split up at a shopping center, or, me just walking to a local shop a couple minutes away). I rarely need to swap antennas, I mostly keep the same antenna on as it suits my needs for It's size. But, again, I do see the value of it for those that could / would / do make use of it, but, for me, I don't have much use.

Does anyone know of an industry chart detailing losses in various types and styles of RF connectors?    That might be a good resource to refer to - and if one can be found, the staff would be happy to pin it to the top of the Technical Discussion area.

We were able to locate a chart for frequency cut off, but didn't come up with anything in a simple search about losses.

Thanks...

https://www.amphenolrf.com/frequency-range-chart/

Thank you, G.

I've been curious about that. I try to use direct connections on all of my equipment when I can, rare times when I want to measure handheld SWR and power I use adapters. I'm not saying that the loss from some adapters are too much to use them, but, It's not worth it for me when I would rarely need to use an adapter.