Welcome!

rdunajewski

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy from Oklahoma City. I'm a retired truck driver who has used CB radio (legally, of course) for decades. My adult son and I were recently discussing alternate communications for the day when internet and cell phones go dark. My investigations led me to the world of GMRS, something about which I knew nothing until a couple of weeks ago. I sent the FCC $35, and in return they kindly gave me a call sign (WSEG265). A pair of TidRadio TD-H3 GMRS hand held units arrived from Amazon five hours ago. So, here I am, starting from scratch and trying to learn whatever I can about this strange, new world.

14 minutes ago, TrucksNCoffee said:

Howdy from Oklahoma City. I'm a retired truck driver who has used CB radio (legally, of course) for decades. My adult son and I were recently discussing alternate communications for the day when internet and cell phones go dark. My investigations led me to the world of GMRS, something about which I knew nothing until a couple of weeks ago. I sent the FCC $35, and in return they kindly gave me a call sign (WSEG265). A pair of TidRadio TD-H3 GMRS hand held units arrived from Amazon five hours ago. So, here I am, starting from scratch and trying to learn whatever I can about this strange, new world.

Welcome!  

8 hours ago, TrucksNCoffee said:

Welcome, and let me unpack a little of what I believe are your thoughts and concerns. How far apart are you and your son? You can't count on two handheld radios being able to communicate with each other for more than a half mile. Of course, there will be times when the distance will be further but, I said guaranteed being able to communicate. Just as with CB, you both will need to be on the same channel in order to talk whether or not it is a simplex channel or through a repeater on the repeater pair. 

Right out of the box, the two radios will be able to communicate over the simplex channels but probably not over any repeater. You will most likely need to include tones on your repeater transmit channels to access (unlock) any repeaters which may or may not be in your area. Additionally, you will need to upgrade the antennas used on your radios to improve the distance over which you can talk. Antenna improvement is a deep subject I'm not going to get into but I will state height ground is the major factor. 

The next item you may want will be mobile radios which can be used in your vehicles or as home base stations. There are a great number of brands available and, like CB, they all will talk to one another. My advice here is don't overspend. Home-based units will need a separate power supply, and again, don't overspend. I use power supplies from Mean Well (also Meanwell) available on Amazon for a third of the price asked for "radio" power units. Many public safety agencies also use these supplies rather than the manufacturer's units or other "radio" supplies. A home based unit also means an antenna and coax. The coax cable needed is not the same one for CB. You will need coax that meets the same specifications as Times Microwave LMR-400 or better. Buying LMR-400 quality cable from Amazon is more miss than hit.

Other than that, welcome to the rabbit hole.

Greetings,

New member and licensee, I carried radios most of my adult life (retired peace officer) from the bricks of the 80’s to modern day. Never cared how they worked before and now I’m in learning mode. Really appreciate all the great videos out there and this forum which I intend to read through in detail. I’m Northeast San Antonio area and have a pair of TidRadio H3 to start with.

1 minute ago, WSEI278 said:

Greetings,

New member and licensee, I carried radios most of my adult life (retired peace officer) from the bricks of the 80’s to modern day. Never cared how they worked before and now I’m in learning mode. Really appreciate all the great videos out there and this forum which I intend to read through in detail. I’m Northeast San Antonio area and have a pair of TidRadio H3 to start with.

Welcome!  I hope you enjoy it here. 

Greetings!  I'm located in Schaumburg, IL and just received my GMRS license! 

I got into kayaking recently and discovered if you're more than 50 feet away from the wife or kids, no one can hear each other.  Arrive, three GRMS radios.

So I placed one of my three handhelds on the kitchen table, went outside and my first broadcast was to my wife who she immediately reply transmitted, "You're a dork".  Hopefully I'm in good company here...

3 hours ago, WSEI278 said:

Greetings,

Greetings from a former resident of The Great Northwest along Culebra Rd. Left SAT in 89 for Florida, then to DC and the MD 'burbs before retiring to NC. You'll be busy for a while trying to get your head around all the information here and on the 'net.

2 hours ago, WSEI509 said:

Greetings!  I'm located in Schaumburg, IL and just received my GMRS license! 

I got into kayaking recently and discovered if you're more than 50 feet away from the wife or kids, no one can hear each other.  Arrive, three GRMS radios.

So I placed one of my three handhelds on the kitchen table, went outside and my first broadcast was to my wife who she immediately reply transmitted, "You're a dork".  Hopefully I'm in good company here...

You’re in great company and it sounds like we’d like your wife too! Welcome!