• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCM718
  • Ham Callsign:KU4FL

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:26 AM

… Those exist?

Dunno, but if not it should. The technology exists.

#22 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCH569

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:44 AM

Dunno, but if not it should. The technology exists.

I was sort of imagining a civilianized version of the military radios that share a common backplane a while ago -- something that'd fit in a double-DIN stereo slot, with separate radios, and a shared screen and mic.  Seems like it has potential to work really well with an auto-voting mic like you're imagining.

• RCM likes this

#23 RCM

RCM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • LocationNorth Alabama
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCM718
  • Ham Callsign:KU4FL

Posted 03 February 2020 - 01:03 AM

I was sort of imagining a civilianized version of the military radios that share a common backplane a while ago -- something that'd fit in a double-DIN stereo slot, with separate radios, and a shared screen and mic.  Seems like it has potential to work really well with an auto-voting mic like you're imagining.

I just looked through the MFJ catalog to see if they have something like that. They don't, although they do have some manual mic/radio selector boxes.

I don't think it would take all that much to do it. Just some latching semiconductor switches, controlled by the COR from each radio. LEDs on the box to show which radio is active, and some momentary pushbutton override switches.

• Ian likes this

#24 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRCH569

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:54 AM

Truth be told, in my initial imagination of something that worked for me, that was the use case I had envisioned.

That was when I didn't have any handheld GMRS radios, or rather, enough to go around, and was heavily dependent on some old Motorola Spirit business radios running MURS 4&5.

• RCM likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users