You just got your GMRS license, now you want your own repeater?

coryb27

31 minutes ago, WSAH452 said:

I'm New to all of this 
Me and a few Friends Go camping in and around the Tri-State and there are Repeaters in nearby towns But we get weak signals I figured if they made a portable How far of a range it would extend 

All depends on location. Same with every repeater. I've posted before on my repeater in my Motorhome. Was a GR1225 and switched to the RT97 before we sold it. Worked for a good mile around the camper with some places more. At the wide open race tracks it worked perfect for our use. While camping in the woods it covered most of the campgrounds we were at. If I were camping with that kit I'd grab a 15" antenna cable and stick in on a 10' pole and be done. 

3 hours ago, gortex2 said:

All depends on location. Same with every repeater. I've posted before on my repeater in my Motorhome. Was a GR1225 and switched to the RT97 before we sold it. Worked for a good mile around the camper with some places more. At the wide open race tracks it worked perfect for our use. While camping in the woods it covered most of the campgrounds we were at. If I were camping with that kit I'd grab a 15" antenna cable and stick in on a 10' pole and be done. 

I've heard Mixed reviews on the Revis 97s mostly good and a few not so good 
But for what I want to use it for I think it would be perfect Especially if the Kit itself is less than $500

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2024 at 7:35 PM, Santiam said:

I really like my RT97..Works great for what I need, which is occasional use in the mountains for communications. I can get about a 30 mile circle which is more than enough for my needs. 

antenna1.jpg

Some people on here don't recognize that their particular situation doesn't extrapolate evenly over the country.. Yes, you would like to have your own repeater, and it looks like you do for your needs. nice work..

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Guys, just a quick question... Similar to ham radio repeaters; is there any coordination involved to prevent interference from one repeater to another? I know you set PL Tones on the input/output but my question is more for permanent installations.  Sorry I'm new to GMRS.

4 hours ago, WSCU465 said:

Guys, just a quick question... Similar to ham radio repeaters; is there any coordination involved to prevent interference from one repeater to another? I know you set PL Tones on the input/output but my question is more for permanent installations.  Sorry I'm new to GMRS.

Nope none. Just listen to traffic on all repeater “channels” and pick one with least traffic.  But again I say if there are that many big strong good coverage repeaters in your immediate vicinity that this is a problem then why put up another one. Just use what’s there.  I’d bet most people that put up repeaters don’t need one 

12 hours ago, WRXP381 said:

Nope none. Just listen to traffic on all repeater “channels” and pick one with least traffic.  But again I say if there are that many big strong good coverage repeaters in your immediate vicinity that this is a problem then why put up another one. Just use what’s there.  I’d bet most people that put up repeaters don’t need one 

Some people don't agree with how repeaters should be used. I actually don't really care for these linked repeaters that give a lot of traffic from 2 people 8 miles apart in Indianapolis. For some reason I have to listen to that in the Chicago area. I might be compelled to put a louder one over top of it if I were independently wealthy... 

There are only 8 repeater channels and they fill in metro areas.

• 1 month later...

I went with a Retevis RT97S, 10 watt, 5 watts after the duplexer ($350).  Automatic Repeater ID $($70).  8.5 dB antenna at 20 feet ($120).  100 watt solar panel charges LifePo batteries that power the repeater and ID.  Best bang for the buck that meets my needs.

74163858917__1627F0B0-34EA-45F8-A6BF-0318B5B468B8.jpeg

On 7/3/2024 at 12:40 PM, WRFJ414 said:

I went with a Retevis RT97S, 10 watt, 5 watts after the duplexer ($350).  Automatic Repeater ID $($70).  8.5 dB antenna at 20 feet ($120).  100 watt solar panel charges LifePo batteries that power the repeater and ID.  Best bang for the buck that meets my needs.

74163858917__1627F0B0-34EA-45F8-A6BF-0318B5B468B8.jpeg

Nice.  What size battery are you using?

32 minutes ago, WSBT338 said:

My repeater just went live this week and I've been looking around to see if there is a way to monitor or even log the traffic. Just out of curiosity primarily. Is anyone doing this?

We have a Broadcastify feed for our 2-meter repeater. I'm not the one who administers it, but I do have a paid account so I can listen to the archives and document jammers, malicious interference and other shenanigans. My dubious understanding of it is that you interface a receiver with their system via your computer and the internet. That said, check it out. It might work for you.

5 minutes ago, WRQC527 said:

We have a Broadcastify feed for our 2-meter repeater. I'm not the one who administers it, but I do have a paid account so I can listen to the archives and document jammers, malicious interference and other shenanigans. My dubious understanding of it is that you interface a receiver with their system via your computer and the internet. That said, check it out. It might work for you.

Fantastic. Thanks for the lead!

43 minutes ago, WSBT338 said:

My repeater just went live this week and I've been looking around to see if there is a way to monitor or even log the traffic. Just out of curiosity primarily. Is anyone doing this?

Easiest way, IMO, is to hook up either an inexpensive digital voice recorder to an inexpensive HT radio like a UV5G with the appropriate cable, or plug the cable into the mic input of your computer and run Audacity in VOX mode.

39 minutes ago, WRQW589 said:

Easiest way, IMO, is to hook up either an inexpensive digital voice recorder to an inexpensive HT radio like a UV5G with the appropriate cable, or plug the cable into the mic input of your computer and run Audacity in VOX mode.

I already have a BTech APRS-K1 Audio cable. I’ll look into this option as well. Does the UV5G do Repeaters better than the UV5R? I had issues with that radio remembering RX and TX with an offset. Definitely operator error. 

8 minutes ago, WSBT338 said:

I already have a BTech APRS-K1 Audio cable. I’ll look into this option as well. Does the UV5G do Repeaters better than the UV5R? I had issues with that radio remembering RX and TX with an offset. Definitely operator error. 

Shouldn't matter. If you can configure an inexpensive radio to be listening on your repeater, you're done. Plug it into the recorder or computer, set up VOX mode, check back later.

I use the UV5G with Chirp, and it's pretty easy to configure.

1 hour ago, WRQW589 said:

First time I've ever heard of someone using Audacity.  I use it on occasion, great program.  Never knew it had a VOX mode.  I was running 2.3.3 and updated just now to 3.5.1.  I don't see where this VOX mode is.

50 minutes ago, LeoG said:

First time I've ever heard of someone using Audacity.  I use it on occasion, great program.  Never knew it had a VOX mode.  I was running 2.3.3 and updated just now to 3.5.1.  I don't see where this VOX mode is.

edit|preferences|recording|sound activated recording -> enable.

Set the Level (dB) to something low enough that "full quieting" hiss is enough to keep it open when squelch is open.

I haven't fired up my raspberry pi in awhile, but I bet you could even run Audacity under an older pi.

I'm using Audacity 3.4.2 on an Ubuntu laptop.

3 hours ago, WRQW589 said:

edit|preferences|recording|sound activated recording -> enable.

Set the Level (dB) to something low enough that "full quieting" hiss is enough to keep it open when squelch is open.

I haven't fired up my raspberry pi in awhile, but I bet you could even run Audacity under an older pi.

I'm using Audacity 3.4.2 on an Ubuntu laptop.

I can't believe my MacBook Pro's audio port does not work for Line-In. I had Audacity setup and my BTech GMRS Pro plugged in and ready to rock. Nothing 😐 I suppose I could fire up my Windows 11 gaming PC just to try it.

[UPDATE] Audacity works great for recording repeater activity on my Windows 11 gaming PC 😆 I press Record and it sits there until it hears something. Then it records and stops then starts again when necessary. Perfect! I just need something super small form factor that can be the Windows 11 host that has Line-In. Maybe a Tablet? I could put it next to my repeater...

3 hours ago, WSBT338 said:

I can't believe my MacBook Pro's audio port does not work for Line-In. I had Audacity setup and my BTech GMRS Pro plugged in and ready to rock. Nothing 😐 I suppose I could fire up my Windows 11 gaming PC just to try it.

[UPDATE] Audacity works great for recording repeater activity on my Windows 11 gaming PC 😆 I press Record and it sits there until it hears something. Then it records and stops then starts again when necessary. Perfect! I just need something super small form factor that can be the Windows 11 host that has Line-In. Maybe a Tablet? I could put it next to my repeater...

Also extremely useful when doing range testing on simplex. Drive around and record to listen how you sounded, later.

No truly active repeaters in my area. They seem to be too far away for me to hit even outside after multiple radio checks and a couple of accidental kerchunks because I momentarily forgot my call sign. No nets either within my reach.

I am still glad to have the license and radios because they encouraged me to finally test for technician grant very recently (within the last 7 days) and I passed so just waiting for the FCC grant now. Hopefully ham will help fill in the GMRS gaps for me at least a little bit.

In my searching, it seems as though there are a fair bit of ham repeaters available near me and if that pans out well enough after some listening, I will be seeking a club to possibly join.

Damn you, GMRS! You got me back into seeking radio licenses again and I grumble in your general direction!

• 1 month later...

Well, I scanned the entire thread, and could have missed it, but I see one use that no one else has mentioned the use I intend (that I could see).

Where I live there is NO repeater.  There are also NO users active on GMRS.  Why did I get it?  Useful emergency comms with my family - what I consider an emergency - not what the FCC says one is.  So, 3-4 licenses handle me and all of my adult kids who live 12 miles away (as the crow flies).  

So, I've set up a parrot simplex repeater using one GMRS HT connected to an SR-112.  This allows me to do a few things:

1. Map out the xmit/rcv locations on a map - how far I can reach, etc., etc.
  2. Test various antenna mobile against various antenna at base - see what works best on what radio, and at what distance for MY area.
  3. This test will occur at the same height/location that one would be holding the HT at my base
  4. Test various setups and variations of what HT at the base seems to work best with what mobile HT - brand and model.  (I suspect that brand-brand with same model probably works "best", but we'll see)
  5. This isn't expensive, and if all HTs work "equally well", then they get handed out to the family.
  6. I don't need to involve someone else who isn't all that interested, and will be THERE to answer (wife has a habit of doing "other things" for "just a minute", and 30 minutes later...)
  7. Eventually, this could lead into more of a "proper" base station mobile, with antenna mounted on my roof, etc.  

This is NOT a permanent repeater - just for my use for these purposes.  I guess I could take it out with me traveling, and set it up somewhere to extend reach - but most likely I won't.  It was a cheap setup to do testing and see what actually happens vs. theoretical what should happen.  If it doesn't do what I think it should, then I can research that.

While there will be some variations in ground (different people, different ground), and the way that it is held - it should be more reflective than many other things I can think of.  And most importantly - it COVERS THE AREA I INTED TO USE IT IN.

Sorry, if someone mentioned this earlier - but I missed it if they did.