mainehazmt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQNI 696
  • Ham Callsign:KC1DRW

Posted 01 September 2016 - 01:23 PM

they were on GMRS Simplex. Example: 462.700.

. Hey that's not fair that's a channel even having a license. I can't use

#22 Durake

Durake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationRowlett, Texas.
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXR714
  • Ham Callsign:K5DUR

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:16 AM

. Hey that's not fair that's a channel even having a license. I can't use

Interesting..

Drake Robinson | "Motoballa"

EMS Dispatcher @ Mount Hope, WV

Dallas County REACT183

#23 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 03 September 2016 - 10:29 AM

That's because you are near Canada, where that frequency is commercial usage... B)

• mainehazmt likes this

#24 jwilkers

jwilkers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWK521
  • Ham Callsign:KD8DVR

Posted 08 September 2016 - 09:55 PM

The bubblepack radios, however CANNOT be used on those shared frequencies without a GMRS license. Remember, FRS is narrow band and GMRS is wideband. Those bubblepack radios are set for wideband on all but the FRS-only frequencies.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

#25 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationCastleton, Virginia
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYC236
  • Ham Callsign:KN4LIX

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:12 PM

About 2:00 AM one morning I over heard two guys planning a break in several miles away using their bubble pack radios. I started answering their transmissions, which produced stunned silence, followed by the statement "Go to the secret channel".  I turned on the scanner and found the "secret" channel in about 10 seconds. I then pretended to be a hidden observer who would "keep them in sight" until the police arrived. Panic ensued and the nefarious activities were abandoned for the evening.

• chiefeis likes this

De Oppresso Liber

#26 chiefeis

chiefeis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationFt. Belvoir, VA
  • GMRS Callsign:WQXW684
  • Ham Callsign:K0ZJD

Posted 09 September 2016 - 06:44 AM

For clarification - Bubble pack radios *can* be used on shared frequencies without a license, provided they don't exceed .5W.  Even the little Talkabouts I first bought for use around the farm had that option.

ref: https://www.fcc.gov/...io-service-gmrs

Pro Patria Vigilans

#27 jwilkers

jwilkers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:29 AM

For clarification - Bubble pack radios *can* be used on shared frequencies without a license, provided they don't exceed .5W. Even the little Talkabouts I first bought for use around the farm had that option.

ref: https://www.fcc.gov/...io-service-gmrs

FRS is narrow band. Those bubblepacks transmit in 25kHz. wideband, which violates FRS regulations that require 12.5 kHz.

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact.

#28 jwilkers

jwilkers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:32 AM

About 2:00 AM one morning I over heard two guys planning a break in several miles away using their bubble pack radios. I started answering their transmissions, which produced stunned silence, followed by the statement "Go to the secret channel". I turned on the scanner and found the "secret" channel in about 10 seconds. I then pretended to be a hidden observer who would "keep them in sight" until the police arrived. Panic ensued and the nefarious activities were abandoned for the evening.

I would have called police and directed them to the criminal activity, rather than thwarted their efforts. Now They will continue their activity elsewhere. Plus, it may have been more fun to hear their reaction when the cops came, and then taunt them 😃

#29 Sasquatch

Sasquatch

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • LocationCastleton, Virginia
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYC236
  • Ham Callsign:KN4LIX

Posted 10 September 2016 - 02:25 PM

I would have called police and directed them to the criminal activity, rather than thwarted their efforts. Now They will continue their activity elsewhere. Plus, it may have been more fun to hear their reaction when the cops came, and then taunt them

AntiSquid disclaimer: All information provided is personal opinion only and may or may not resemble actual fact

That's a great idea but I was receiving their transmissions from the side of a mountain facing West (about 1600 ft elevation). I knew what they were planning but never heard a land mark or name of the place.

De Oppresso Liber

#30 chiefeis

chiefeis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:07 PM

FRS is narrow band. Those bubblepacks transmit in 25kHz. wideband, which violates FRS regulations that require 12.5 kHz.

Well huh.  Guess someone needs to the the FCC that all those radios that the FCC has certified for 95A and 95B are out of compliance with FCC rules for 95A and 95B.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pro Patria Vigilans

#31 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 09:01 AM

That's not entirely accurate. Those FRS frequencies shared with GMRS are 25kHz wideband.

#32 SteveC7010

SteveC7010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationNorthville, NY in the southern Adirondacks!
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPG808
  • Ham Callsign:KD2IAT

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:16 AM

That's not entirely accurate. Those FRS frequencies shared with GMRS are 25kHz wideband.

The FCC is contradictory on this.

On their info page for FRS all FRS frequencies are narrowband 12.5 KHz.https://www.fcc.gov/...dio-service-frs

On their info page for GMRS, all frequencies, including the 7 interstitials are wideband 25 KHz. https://www.fcc.gov/...io-service-gmrs

I skimmed Part 95, but it is so inconsistent that I could not find clear statements on this. Stuff is buried where you least expect to find it. I gave up looking. Someone far more AR than me might find it.

FWIW, I've always set up my gear with the shared channels at 12.5 and the GMRS exclusive channels at 25. It may not be the precise letter of the regulations, but I'm comfortable that it follows the spirit of the regs, and that it will cause the least interference possible in either service. This is also my advice to others and for these same reasons.

• chiefeis likes this

Rochester-Monroe County E911 1976 to 2003 - Dispatcher II #7010
Northampton Ambulance - Unit 2829

Tactical Call Sign: Spider Man

#33 jwilkers

jwilkers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:05 PM

GMRS is wideband. FRS is not. If you operate wide on the shared frequencies, you are operating as a GMRS user. If you operate narrow, you are an FRS user. The radios would have both FRS and GMRS approval, because they can operate on both services. The rules aren't contradictory.. The frequencies don't determine if they are wide or narrow, the radio service you are using the frequencies for are what makes that determination.

I hope that clarifies.

• Unit 460 likes this

#34 chiefeis

chiefeis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

If you operate on the shared frequencies above .5W you are a GMRS user. If you operate at .5W with the integral antenna you are an FRS user. The FCC clearly states that on their website.

The bubble pack radios, therefore, are approved, authorized, allowed, etc on the shared channels.

Pro Patria Vigilans

#35 SteveC7010

SteveC7010

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  • LocationNorthville, NY in the southern Adirondacks!
  • GMRS Callsign:WQPG808
  • Ham Callsign:KD2IAT

Posted 12 September 2016 - 03:00 PM

GMRS is wideband. FRS is not. If you operate wide on the shared frequencies, you are operating as a GMRS user. If you operate narrow, you are an FRS user. The radios would have both FRS and GMRS approval, because they can operate on both services. The rules aren't contradictory.. The frequencies don't determine if they are wide or narrow, the radio service you are using the frequencies for are what makes that determination.

I hope that clarifies.

I didn't say that the absolute rules are contradictory. I said that their two information pages were. And I said I wasn't AR enough to spend time hunting part 95.

OK, but still doesn't affect your original claim in post #27 that the bubble pack radios are in violation because they are 25 KHz only. I'm pretty sure that the FCC grant for type acceptance shows 11k3 or 11k0 for FRS freqs and wider for GMS freqs. Not having any bubble packs, I don't have any FCC ID's at my fingertips to go look them up. Perhaps you do.

If the radios are properly type accepted (which I suspect they are), there's no way to prove your claim unless they are actually tested with a service monitor. Absent that evidence, I am of the opinion that the bubble pack radios do meet the emission standards for both radio services, otherwise, the FCC would not have allowed sales to continue over many years.

• chiefeis likes this

Rochester-Monroe County E911 1976 to 2003 - Dispatcher II #7010
Northampton Ambulance - Unit 2829

Tactical Call Sign: Spider Man

#36 jwilkers

jwilkers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:21 AM

If you operate on the shared frequencies above .5W you are a GMRS user. If you operate at .5W with the integral antenna you are an FRS user. The FCC clearly states that on their website.

The bubble pack radios, therefore, are approved, authorized, allowed, etc on the shared channels.

Well, that too. I didn't want to get rambling.

#37 jwilkers

jwilkers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:24 AM

I didn't say that the absolute rules are contradictory. I said that their two information pages were. And I said I wasn't AR enough to spend time hunting part 95.

OK, but still doesn't affect your original claim in post #27 that the bubble pack radios are in violation because they are 25 KHz only. I'm pretty sure that the FCC grant for type acceptance shows 11k3 or 11k0 for FRS freqs and wider for GMS freqs. Not having any bubble packs, I don't have any FCC ID's at my fingertips to go look them up. Perhaps you do.

If the radios are properly type accepted (which I suspect they are), there's no way to prove your claim unless they are actually tested with a service monitor. Absent that evidence, I am of the opinion that the bubble pack radios do meet the emission standards for both radio services, otherwise, the FCC would not have allowed sales to continue over many years.

I'm not saying the radios are in violation. I'm saying the USERS are. If the shared channels are wide band, then the user must get a GMRS license..or stick to the 7 FRS only narrow channels.

#38 chiefeis

chiefeis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:45 AM

Note: for some reason this computer will not allow me to quote or copy/paste.

As I noted above, if the *user* is using a bubble pack radio that only allows .5W and a non-replaceable antenna then ALL FRS channels, including the interstitial channels, are available for use.

Pro Patria Vigilans

#39 jwilkers

jwilkers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:46 AM

Note: for some reason this computer will not allow me to quote or copy/paste.

As I noted above, if the *user* is using a bubble pack radio that only allows .5W and a non-replaceable antenna then ALL FRS channels, including the interstitial channels, are available for use.

If all 14 channels operate with 12.5 kHz narrow spacing, per FRS regulations, then yes. If any of those frequencies are 25 kHz wide band, then no.

#40 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:51 AM

It is entirely possible for an FRS user @ 12.5kHz to communicate with a GMRS user @25kHz. The audio won't be great, but communications are still possible.
  • jwilkers likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users