CHIRP question

citizensoldier16

Question

5 answers to this question

'Tone' transmits the tone to open the repeater receiver, but your radio doesn't require the tone to be transmitted back in order to open your squelch. 'Tone Squelch' will open the receiver of the repeater and require the tone to be embedded in signals you receive in order to open your squelch.

Normally, I don't use tone squelch so I can hear everyone, instead of just repeater traffic... assuming the repeater passes or transmits a tone to begin with.

Okay, I have the radio and the cable all hooked up.  Computer is talking to the radio.  I have my frequencies set as the receive frequencies for the GMRS Repeaters in my area.  TSQL is selected so that the tone will be used on transmit and receive.  Tones are all correct.  I have duplex set for +.  Offset set at 5.0000.  Mode is FM.  Power is set to high.  

Here is my problem:  I upload to the radio and everything works as it should, except I cannot hear any audio from the repeater on the BaoFeng.  I hear the repeater kick, or "kerchunk" at the end of a transmission but I do not hear any audio when I perform a test using my mobile radio.  I also cannot hear anyone else on the BaoFeng.  They can hear me, but I cannot hear them.  All I get is the kerchunk from the repeater, or the morse code of the repeater ID'ing itself.  

What have I done wrong?  Please help!

... but I do not hear any audio when I perform a test using my mobile radio ...

I assume you perform this test in the close proximity of your mobile, right? Your mobile radio overloads your HT's frotnend. When you stop transmitting on the mobile, overload is gone, and you hear the repeater "tail". Now, give HT to someone, drive the block away, or behind the big building, and repeat the test.