Comet GP-1 or Diamond X50A

krvw

Question

I think I've found 2 viable candidates for an antenna that will suit my needs (attic configuration due to HOA):

- Comet GP-1

- Diamond X50A

Any first-hand experiences here with either, good, bad, or otherwise? Price is similar. Diamond is a little longer. Both seem to get excellent reviews.

One other deployment option is to run either antenna outdoors on my deck using a pole I can extend during emergencies. If I keep it low, but still outdoors, the HOA won't be able to see it and I won't need to worry about them.

(To recap, I'm in northern Virginia in a fairly suburban setting. Terrain is largely flat with a few rolling hills. Primary goal is to be able to reliably hit a repeater in Alexandria, but my secondary goal is to be able to communicate in simplex to my wife at her office, roughly 3 miles from home. I can reach her now via repeater only. I can reach the repeater from home, especially if I step outside. Hoping to improve indoor coverage as well as simplex to wife.)

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ken van Wyk

8 answers to this question

Both are goo antennas for ham radio use, however I believe both are tuned for 440-450 where GMRS is 460-470, you may have SWR issues due to frequency mismatch which could lead to damage of your radios. There are some antennas with wider bandwidths but usually they are single band rather than dual. I'll defer to other more experienced hams on this as I'm still a little new when it comes to antenna tuning and matching.

I think I've found 2 viable candidates for an antenna that will suit my needs (attic configuration due to HOA):

- Comet GP-1

- Diamond X50A

Any first-hand experiences here with either, good, bad, or otherwise? Price is similar. Diamond is a little longer. Both seem to get excellent reviews.

One other deployment option is to run either antenna outdoors on my deck using a pole I can extend during emergencies. If I keep it low, but still outdoors, the HOA won't be able to see it and I won't need to worry about them.

(To recap, I'm in northern Virginia in a fairly suburban setting. Terrain is largely flat with a few rolling hills. Primary goal is to be able to reliably hit a repeater in Alexandria, but my secondary goal is to be able to communicate in simplex to my wife at her office, roughly 3 miles from home. I can reach her now via repeater only. I can reach the repeater from home, especially if I step outside. Hoping to improve indoor coverage as well as simplex to wife.)

Thanks.

Cheers,

Ken van Wyk

i posted this a while back, the DB-404 is an amazing antenna for the attic. Living in a CONDO i know all about the HOA as I am the president of ours. I am able to work simplex 15 to 20 miles and repeaters 45 to 50 miles away. If you scroll down I included some photos.   https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/1367-antenna-for-base-in-apartment/

i posted this a while back, the DB-404 is an amazing antenna for the attic. Living in a CONDO i know all about the HOA as I am the president of ours. I am able to work simplex 15 to 20 miles and repeaters 45 to 50 miles away. If you scroll down I included some photos.   https://forums.mygmrs.com/topic/1367-antenna-for-base-in-apartment/

At 400 smackers, it ought to perform :)

I have a Diamond X50a on the roof of my house. It's been up there on the original install for close to 20 years and it runs great.

I'll hook up the antenna analyzer when I get home so you can see what it does on GMRS.

I have a few Comet antennas for the mobile radios, but not for a base. Can't help there.

Thanks Marcspaz,

I'm far from expert, but this seems to me that the X50a would perform acceptably well on GMRS? I really appreciate your guidance. I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a newbie in the RF world. Just want to have a good emergency comms plan in place with my wife. (And enjoy a new hobby at the same time.)

Cheers,

Ken