#1 Mikeam

Mikeam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationWashington State
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFF390

Posted 11 March 2020 - 03:40 PM

Attached File  Annotation 2020-03-11 133825.png   25.57KB   12 downloadsSo my newbie question is about tones. Some repeater sites state only one tone say 141.3 tone in no tone out given another repeater will show tone 141.3 in and tone 141.3 out or another tone, So I look at Chirp for the Btech GMRS V1 and I am not sure where to put the second tone number? Attached is an example of one tone but not the second one?

#2 Jones

Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYM541
  • Ham Callsign:KB0HAW

Posted 11 March 2020 - 04:15 PM

I don't have a GMRSV1, but if it is like other Btech rigs with CHIRP, then you would select 'TONE' for transmit tone only, and if you want tone on receive as well, then you would select 'TONESQ' which will allow you to set both tones separately.

If you want to receive everything, there is never a need to set a receive tone on your radio.

• Mikeam likes this

#3 Mikeam

Mikeam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

If the tone is for send but there is a second tone number for receive and I only put in tone for send then I would still hear traffic on the repeater is what I understand you to mean? Thanks in advance. Mike

#4 JJM

JJM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFF706
  • Ham Callsign:N5JJM

Posted 11 March 2020 - 10:16 PM

You only need to program the input tone unless you want to set your squelch “wide open” and let the repeaters output tone open up the receive in your radio.

By setting input and output tones you basically make your radio deaf to anyone else transmitting. Unless they have the same tone programmed. People can still hear you but your radio won’t open up unless they broadcast the same RX tone you’ve set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Mikeam likes this

#5 Mikeam

Mikeam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:18 AM

Thanks it makes sense now!!

#6 JJM

JJM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 11:47 AM

Thanks it makes sense now!!

Are you sure?? I had some beers before I replied to you and I’m not sure I understand what I wrote haha

• Mikeam likes this

#7 JB007Rules

JB007Rules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WDRU235

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:54 PM

This was very helpful!  This solved my other problem here:  https://forums.mygmr...mit-cw-message/

#8 WRFN403

WRFN403

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFN403

Posted 05 April 2020 - 09:26 AM

So, in summary, to use a repeater that operates on frequency 'A' and tone code 'B', not using the tone code 'B' does not prevent one from transmitting/receiving via the repeater, so long as it is in range?

The repeater in question for myself has no tone out, but it does have a tone in. Does this mean it only recevies/relays transmissions using the specified 'tone' on the specified frequency?

#9 JJM

JJM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 April 2020 - 10:40 AM

So, in summary, to use a repeater that operates on frequency 'A' and tone code 'B', not using the tone code 'B' does not prevent one from transmitting/receiving via the repeater, so long as it is in range?

The repeater in question for myself has no tone out, but it does have a tone in. Does this mean it only recevies/relays transmissions using the specified 'tone' on the specified frequency?

It means you have to set a TX pl tone on your radio or the repeater won’t listen to you.

• WRFN403 likes this

#10 WRFN403

WRFN403

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFN403

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:10 PM

Thank you!

I am currently using a basic GMRS radio that does not allow individual in/out codes for each channel, so I can transmit but not hear, or I can hear but not transmit.

"Gonna need a bigger boat"

8^)

#11 Jones

Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYM541
  • Ham Callsign:KB0HAW

Posted 05 April 2020 - 12:13 PM

Thank you!

I am currently using a basic GMRS radio that does not allow individual in/out codes for each channel, so I can transmit but not hear, or I can hear but not transmit.

"Gonna need a bigger boat"

8^)

That's problem #1 with the Midland Micro Mobile series.

#12 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 04 May 2020 - 06:25 PM

Thank you!

Not quite. You can transmit through the repeater, but you will hear everyone on the receiver, whether they are going through the repeater or just talking direct simplex! wink.png

#13 kaz

kaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRFR764

Posted 06 May 2020 - 06:47 PM

hmmmm, did not know that about RX settings for repeaters. I might just open up some settings. Right now I apparently have 6 channels programmed for rx only to a certain code, blocking me from some un-coded simplex reception. If I read that right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users