How to use the "TONE" settings correctly

Mikeam

Question

post-2812-0-73542800-1583959169_thumb.pngSo my newbie question is about tones. Some repeater sites state only one tone say 141.3 tone in no tone out given another repeater will show tone 141.3 in and tone 141.3 out or another tone, So I look at Chirp for the Btech GMRS V1 and I am not sure where to put the second tone number? Attached is an example of one tone but not the second one?

12 answers to this question

I don't have a GMRSV1, but if it is like other Btech rigs with CHIRP, then you would select 'TONE' for transmit tone only, and if you want tone on receive as well, then you would select 'TONESQ' which will allow you to set both tones separately.

If you want to receive everything, there is never a need to set a receive tone on your radio.

You only need to program the input tone unless you want to set your squelch “wide open” and let the repeaters output tone open up the receive in your radio.

By setting input and output tones you basically make your radio deaf to anyone else transmitting. Unless they have the same tone programmed. People can still hear you but your radio won’t open up unless they broadcast the same RX tone you’ve set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So, in summary, to use a repeater that operates on frequency 'A' and tone code 'B', not using the tone code 'B' does not prevent one from transmitting/receiving via the repeater, so long as it is in range?

The repeater in question for myself has no tone out, but it does have a tone in. Does this mean it only recevies/relays transmissions using the specified 'tone' on the specified frequency?

So, in summary, to use a repeater that operates on frequency 'A' and tone code 'B', not using the tone code 'B' does not prevent one from transmitting/receiving via the repeater, so long as it is in range?

The repeater in question for myself has no tone out, but it does have a tone in. Does this mean it only recevies/relays transmissions using the specified 'tone' on the specified frequency?

It means you have to set a TX pl tone on your radio or the repeater won’t listen to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you!

I am currently using a basic GMRS radio that does not allow individual in/out codes for each channel, so I can transmit but not hear, or I can hear but not transmit.

"Gonna need a bigger boat"

8^)

That's problem #1 with the Midland Micro Mobile series.

Thank you!

I am currently using a basic GMRS radio that does not allow individual in/out codes for each channel, so I can transmit but not hear, or I can hear but not transmit.

Not quite. You can transmit through the repeater, but you will hear everyone on the receiver, whether they are going through the repeater or just talking direct simplex! wink.png

hmmmm, did not know that about RX settings for repeaters. I might just open up some settings. Right now I apparently have 6 channels programmed for rx only to a certain code, blocking me from some un-coded simplex reception. If I read that right.