Can I get a nudge?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Ok, so I have some knowledge of radios and usage and have been studying for my Technicians license......then Covid-19 happened. I have been intrigued by GMRS for a number of years and like the idea of utilizing repeaters to extend range. I also like the 10 year license duration and that my wife and I can have communication even in emergency situations (after a hurricane, etc.). I also like the data and gps possibilities, future use it looks like. And, GMRS is gaining popularity that may fast track advancements from Motorola and others. 

So now, the nudge. Can someone just give me that push? I mean, seriously, is this the perfect arena for family/emergency/group communication? It seems like it, but I am still pretty new to it. 

Is the repeater network like the amateur network, able to talk across the state or country?

How expensive is it to set up a repeater? Do you need a permit to put one up? I am a tinkerer and love to build things so if not too outrageous I would like to do that here. 

I will still pursue my Technicians license, after the lockdown is over, but I really think the GMRS license would be a prefect complement to an amateur license. 

Thank you for this resource and all of the information. If anyone wants to reach out to me you can do it here: edburke313@gmail.com 

Line of sight 8 to 12 miles with ideal antenna and height, some repeaters are linked. On special days you can talk hundreds of miles. no permit, cost of repeater: a few hundred to several thousand, depending on your requirements. If you like to tinker consider building from two old motos. Height is King, higher power in watts seldom improves a less than ideal situation.

The family aspect of the licensing (vs individual) is a definite plus, as is the fact that you can find some decent plug and play equipment off the shelf.

Similar situation here, was eyeing ham, but the family aspect made gmrs a better fit for an immediate need; finding how much is really out there looks like a great complement alongside ham, which i still plan to pursue

If you wish to put up a repeater, keep in mind that location and height is king. Getting the height (180' minimum for decent coverage) isn't cheap - even if you can find such a unicorn at all...

Several years ago I had invested in an off-the-shelf repeater (Bridgecom). I should have checked out possible locations first though. The least expensive I could find was a 332' tower about fifteen miles across the Indiana/Illinois border at "only" $1/foot. The only spot open was at the very top for a bargain cost of $332/month. Ouch!

On the other hand a friend of mine has a lovely setup at his mobile home park (he's the owner!) on a 185' tower he erected himself. His repeater has about a 30 mile footprint for mobiles, about 15 miles for HTs.

What's the range needed and budget? MURS will give greater range than GMRS HT-to-HT. MURS allows mobile and base antennas which can yield several miles of coverage. The downsides are a 2 watt limit, no repeaters and no real mobile rigs on the market.

That is not always true, especially given the fact the antenna for MURS needs to be longer than that for GMRS in order to me efficient. In my area I have tested both, and generally speaking, we get better range with GMRS, even though theoretically MURS should work better since we have hills. I love MURS, but with the shorter antennas on hand held, I am getting better range with GMRS. Now, with a longer antenna, MURS may give better range, but I don't want one on my handheld.