B-Tech 50X1 vs QYT KT-980 plus from Nat. net convo

aj22185

Question

From the conversation after national net tonight (8/2/20 around 22:00 EST) around BTech 50X1 vs QYT KT-980 Plus. Based on one account these radios are essentially the same, but the QYT has different software and will tune to VHF @ 75W and UHF @ 55W (which will include GMRS) and is a few dollars cheaper.

If anyone is looking into a QYT KT-980 Plus, I found one on amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/QYT-136-174mhz-Transceiver-Quad-standby-Programming/dp/B0721KKVHT/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=KT-980+plus&qid=1596419853&sr=8-1

I am definitely considering this unit as I will eventually merge into HAM as well. While it seems like a somewhat limited HAM machine it will surely get me started at least in VHF/UHF. That is, before i jump into something much more capable and, of course, much more expensive as well. :)

If anyone would like to share additional information, I (and I'm sure many others) would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

WREW975

4 answers to this question

Who cares, they are both mediocre radios at best. And for the money you sink in any of those two, you can easily buy a much better performing used LMR radio, from Motorola, Kenwood, Icom... and yes, there are part 95 LMR radios too.... but I wouldn't harp much on that "legality" as its been stated that it won't be a problem to run Part 90 gear on GMRS.

G.