tone settings

cardaddy73

Question

I am trying to set up using Chirp my Baofeng UV5R's, it's going well so far. The GMRS repeaters all give a transmit and receive tone and Chirp does not have a place for this. I have researched it but have not found a definitive answer. By now most of you will realize i am fairly new to this. Thanks for anyones help.

5 answers to this question

I am trying to set up using Chirp my Baofeng UV5R's, it's going well so far. The GMRS repeaters all give a transmit and receive tone and Chirp does not have a place for this. I have researched it but have not found a definitive answer. By now most of you will realize i am fairly new to this. Thanks for anyones help.

had to actual pull up Chirp to work it out (working from a uv5r image too, actually). 

working with the memory slot in question, it was a little finicky with chirp trying to second guess me. it seemed to take the settings if i set the "Tone Mode" Column to "Tone" first, then set both "Tone" (your tx tone) and "ToneSql" (your rx tone) to the appropriate tones, and the "Cross Mode" column changed, as did the "Tone Mode". 

You should end up with "Tone Mode" set to "Cross", "Tone" and "ToneSql" with the appropriate tones for the repeater, and "Cross Mode set to "Tone->Tone"

that said, you don't actually NEED the receive tone set to use the repeater; since it works as a filter, not setting a receive tone will let you hear everything on the channel, both traffic from the repeater and everything else, where setting the tone only lets you hear traffic with the appropriate tone (such as the repeater).

Thank you I also came up with a similar conclusion, the more I learn about the settings the “more” I learn the way it is worded is what confuses me, So the tone on receive is only to hear what is coming from the repeater which is actually a squelch setting.lol thank you for your advice and time.

Thank you I also came up with a similar conclusion, the more I learn about the settings the “more” I learn the way it is worded is what confuses me, So the tone on receive is only to hear what is coming from the repeater which is actually a squelch setting.lol thank you for your advice and time.

I think part of the issue is the different manufacturer names for the same features.

A simple way to think of tones is keys to get through a filter. The repeater only listens for signals with the right tone, and ignores everything else. Setting your radio with a tone squelch is the same for your received signals....ignoring everything without that tone. If you leave your tonesql blank, you'll hear everything on that channel.

For example, I have 2 repeaters in range on ch18. I have separate entries (with appropriate tone squelch) in my programmable radios for each, so I CAN only listen to a specific repeater...or I can just listen on channel 18 with no tonesquelch set and hear both, and anything else on simplex (since the repeater output and simplex are on the same 462 frequency)

It does. Are you dealing with a single CTCSS tone, a single DCS tone, split CTCSS tones, split DCS tones, DCS to CTCSS crossover…?

If you’re only using a single tone, you don’t need to enter the mode… it’ll do it automatically once you enter a CTCSS or DCS tone. If you’re using split tones, you’ll have to go into Cross under mode and you may need to select the cross mode before you put the PL tones in (e.g., CTCSS - CTCSS, DCS - DCS, DCS - CTCSS, CTCSS - DCS).

What hemmed me up the first time I tried using Chirp for programming a repeater was how you dial in the offset. With commercial radio software, proprietary BaoFeng software, etc., you enter the transmit and receive frequencies separately. With Chirp, you enter the receive frequency, then you go to offset, choose +, then you enter the actual offset in the column next to it, not the frequency. So if you were programming for a 600 repeater, you’d enter 462.600, choose + in the duplex column, then in the offset column, you’d type in “005.000”, rather than typing in 467.600.