Brand Name radios Pros/Cons thread. (Used/New)

gman1971

Yep, the TH-D74a is a nice radio, indeed. But you're limited to NXDN only AFAIK,

G.

The radio is D-Star, not NXDN. It's also a tri-band with two RX sections.

https://www.kenwood.com/usa/com/support/pdf/TH-D74A.pdf

The problem with digital radios in general, at least the hand held ones, is they support typically just one digital mode. So if you have an interest in several digital voice modes you're stuck having to carry around several radios, one specific for each mode.

Oh, its D-Star, I thought it was NXDN, my fault. (since its Kenwood)

The NX-5xxxx series has the option to purchase up to two digital modulations, DMR or P25, on top of NXDN I think. However, I am not sure how good those are in terms of scanning performance... the Motorolas are worthless in terms of scanning, you're limited to 16 channels per scan list... I think the VXD-720 portable (the Vertex version of the XPR6550, has unlimited channels per zone from what I've heard... but I didn't corroborate this myself as I don't have an VXD-720 to verify)

Yeah, the TH-D74a is the successor of the TH-F6a, which I still have a couple, also tri-band and have HF to 1.2 ghz in all modulations,... not a bad little radio. :)

G.

Lscott covered it earlier, but it worth repeating again: one often overlooked advantage of Part 90 and 90/95 radios that many will work in 70cm ham band. With 128-256-more channels one can have all GMRS, local repeater pairs and few simplex freqs programmed in, without the need to have VFO or front-panel programming ability.

On the other hand, Btech V1, Midland and Wouxsun GMRS radios will not allow programming 70cm frequencies.

Kenwood mobiles:

Kenwood TK-880H-1, 40W, Part 90 95A
250 channels
140 × 40 x 173 mm
KPG49D software
ALH24593210

Kenwood TK-880-1, 25W, Part 90, 95A
same as TK-880H, just 25W and a bit smaller heatsink
140 x 40 x 145 mm
KPG49D software
ALH24593110  

Kenwood TK-860G-1, 25W, Part 90 95A
128 channels
140 x 40 x 145 mm
KPG29D software
ALH29383110

Kenwood TK-860HG-1, 40W, Part 90 95A
128 channels
KPG29D software
ALH29383210

Kenwood TK-862G-1, 25W, Part 90 95A
8 channels: no alphanumeric display, numbers only
140 x 40 x 145 mm
KPG29D software
ALH29383110

Kenwood TK-862HG-1, 40W, Part 90 95A
8 channels: no alphanumeric display, numbers only
KPG29D software
ALH29383210

Kenwood TK-8180H-K, 45W, Part 90 95A 22 74 90.210
512 channels, remote head (KRK-10 kit)
K4437313210

Kenwood TK-8180-K, 30W, Part 90 95A 22 74 90.210
512 channels, remote head (KRK-10 kit)
K4437313110

Michael, I think when this thread was created was meant for radios that are not CCRs, I understand that people think Wouxun radios are awesome... but simply put, they are not very good compared to XPR LMR grade radios.

G.

Wouxon KG-805G Handheld Portable

Pros:

FCC Part 95e Certified
FCC ID: WTWWOUXUN16
5w and .5w power settings.
Wideband and Narrowband capable.
Pre-programmed for 22 simplex channels and 8 repeater pairs.
128 Software programmable programmable memories.
Interoperable with FRS on all channels, Rx and Tx.
CTCSS and DCS squelch code support, usable in any Rx/Tx combination.
Replaceable/upgradable antenna.
Usable in vehicle with mobile antenna.
Ability to customize channel names (6 alpha-numeric characters).
Display channel info by Name, Frequency or Memory (channel) number.
Scan all memories.
Software programmable scan channel skip.
Backlit LCD display, usable outdoors in bright sun or a night.
High and low capacity batteries.
Subjectively high-quality receive and transmit audio quality.
Bright indicator to visually identify if a channel is in use (even when current squelch code does not match radio squelch code).
Software programmable Busy Channel Lockout.
Front panel lockout capability, including auto-lock feature.
Time out Timer to limit transmit duration.
FM radio for those that find this beneficial.
3-Channel Scan Modes.
Sufficient audio level, even when operating in closed vehicle.
Multiple battery capacity sizes available.

Cons:
Flawed Firmware. Radio not properly locked down to prevent unauthorized Tx on other services.
Rotating channel knob does not increment one channel per click unless rotated slowly. A real problem when high-memory count is used.
Signal level meter inaccurate.
No built-in repeater talk-around feature; must be user programmed as a channel instead.
No ability to switch from high and low power in the field to reduce power consumption when high power is not needed.
No NOAA support for those that truly desire that in an HT.
Scan stops and holds on channels even when receive signal does not contain the squelch code set in that channel.
Would not likely survive a drop on solid ground from 6’. Not going to test.
Range could be improved with better receiver.
No ability to scan for squelch codes.

Overall Impression.

I find this be a good entry level HT in the world of GMRS repeater-capable radios, and am glad I purchased it.

Subjectively I find the simplex performance (with stock antenna) only marginally better than the 5-watt early generation Midland GXT1000 radios I have, which suggests similar real-world sensitivity and selectivity. However the audio quality is noticeably better and range is improved to some degree with a premium aftermarket antenna so the ability to upgrade antenna, as well use external antennas is a real plus. It was worth its purchase price when compared to the GXT1000 simplex-only radios.

The power output measured was on par with manufacturer published values.

Would I buy it again if I needed more radios? Yes.

All else being equal but bugs were fixed, I may spend twice for this exact same radio if it featured substantially improved sensitivity and selectivity performance that translated into 2x or more real-world simplex distance when compared to the current generation KG-805G. I would expect some additional features would be necessary to sway others.

Just one man’s opinion.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Michael, I think when this thread was created was meant for radios that are not CCRs, I understand that people think Wouxun radios are awesome... but simply put, they are not very good compared to XPR LMR grade radios.

G.

There was no intent whatsoever to assert the radio better or worse than another. It was a “Pros/Cons” opinion of one author according to the current title of the thread. The post was made in an attempt to leverage the “existing” pros/cons thread referenced elsewhere on this forum in recent days/weeks in-order to spur others to do the same. Perhaps the title of the thread should be changed to clarify which brands are permitted to be commented on this thread. I deleted my post so no one else will get the wrong idea.

Respectfully,

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

I apologize if I came too strong Michael. I am sorry. If you think there was a better way to word what I said, please let me know.

And this is why Berkinet was so right about the pro/con radio thread. We would need a whole forum section dedicated just to radio comparisons, or tables, etc. Ideally a fixed table with specific important parameters, like effective sensitivity, battery life, weight, size... and managed by a small group of people. With that said, several members here have great measuring equipment, and potentially those people, if willing, could offer to do it.

I am thinking the following parameters to start.

Radio Brand/Name, Type, Size, Battery life (portable), Connector Type, Remote mount Kit, Channels, FPP?, RF Band 1, Effective Sensitivity Band 1, RF Band 2, Effective Sens Band 2, etc...  CPS price, Cable Price, Radio Cost. Then a short personal comments section afterwards.

G.

And that is the reason that I started the other thread, to get that discussion going. This forum could provide a great service to current and future members if it could curate facts about radios presently authorized by FCC for on use on GMRS in one place.

I love reading all the posts, contributing my own and helping folks out. But too easily good factual information gets buried in a mound of forum BS to be lost to all but the best forensic forum scientist to uncover. Because it takes months for some to find the information they really needed, out of now where it is suddenly to late for them.

I am currently of the opinion that it will take a moderator/administrator to set up the framework. I am also of the opinion that certain rules would need to be followed/enforced by said moderators. Perhaps its doable, perhaps not. I know not who the moderators are, nor what their capabilities are.

I will jump over to the thread I started and offer more opinion there.

Regards

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

I wish I had the tact you have, Michael... 

:)

And that is the reason that I started the other thread, to get that discussion going. This forum could provide a great service to current and future members if it could curate facts about radios presently authorized by FCC for on use on GMRS in one place.

I love reading all the posts, contributing my own and helping folks out. But too easily good factual information gets buried in a mound of forum BS to be lost to all but the best forensic forum scientist to uncover. Because it takes months for some to find the information they really needed, out of now where it is suddenly to late for them.

I am currently of the opinion that it will take a moderator/administrator to set up the framework. I am also of the opinion that certain rules would need to be followed/enforced by said moderators. Perhaps its doable, perhaps not. I know not who the moderators are, nor what their capabilities are.

I will jump over to the thread I started and offer more opinion there.

Regards

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

gman1971, I do not see that this post excludes CCP, it says.....  Brand Name radios Pros/Cons thread. (Used/New)

Started by gman1971, Oct 24 2020 07:37 PM

I do acknowledge your kind words of respect to Micheal and taking the high road is very honoring and I do respect all your post...  So where did Michael post go as new to GMRS and owner of two entry level CCP KG-805G wanted to tell others an issue I found in putting in the CTC codes and the use of the CHIRP software not transferring CTC setting.

gman1971, keep informing us newbie... glad we found this site and nice guys to get their knowledge you are willing to share...

G.

The post of 31 is your reply... post 30 shows it was removed or moved...  

That is fine, I will just go to KG-805G post to help others with some pro/cons...  In all my years never found a perfect product, life is a trade off.  Keep pushing us with your knowledge or we will learn and not be dead in the water.  

The original post is quoted on post #31

G.

Yes, but I quoted the entire deleted post. So you can read it there.

The post of 31 is your reply... post 30 shows it was removed or moved...  

That is fine, I will just go to KG-805G post to help others with some pro/cons...  In all my years never found a perfect product, life is a trade off.  Keep pushing us with your knowledge or we will learn and not be dead in the water.