#1 roggom

roggom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJX801
  • Ham Callsign:NA

Posted 21 November 2020 - 01:15 PM

I have a Midland MXT275 with a magnetic mount. I have it sitting on a ditch light bracket on my hood and I get pretty good range. It uses the stock magnetic antenna, I have it RTV'd to the base to secure it a bit better. I was thinking to convert it to NMO for a more permanent mount, I have a Midland 3db ghost antenna and have a base. The coax is 1/8 from the factory at about 14' that I have payed out back and forth in the trimwell. 

Can I just cut the cable and solder in the new NMO mount. or does it require a certain thickness/ impedance cable for NMO. The current configuration gives me enough range for my purposes, but I would like something that is fastened to the bracket. 

Also If I do cut the cable, should I reduce the length? I currently only have a SWR meter that I used with my CB's back in the day. Not sure if I need another type of meter. 

Thanks

IMG-1105.jpg

#2 mbrun

mbrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRHS965
  • Ham Callsign:KE8PLM

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:03 PM

Yes, you may cut the cable and solder it to a new mount. Yes, you may reduce the length of the cable to suit your needs. You merely need to make sure are properly terminated and the end of the coax is adequately protected from moisture ingress.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • SteveC7010 likes this

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

#3 kb2ztx

kb2ztx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationEast Coast
  • GMRS Callsign:WQLY948
  • Ham Callsign:KB2ZTX

Posted 22 November 2020 - 07:17 AM

Or just order an nmo mount with the cable. You will spend almost as much just for the mount

#4 n4gix

n4gix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 628 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WQWU626
  • Ham Callsign:N4GIX

Posted 22 November 2020 - 10:39 AM

Not mentioned yet, but you cannot use a "CB" meter for a UHF radio!

#5 Jones

Jones

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationBetween 2 large corn fields
  • GMRS Callsign:WQYM541
  • Ham Callsign:KB0HAW

Posted 22 November 2020 - 11:26 AM

Just buy an NMO mount with pre-installed RG-58u coax cable. You would be surprised at how much power you are losing in that cheap 1/8 inch coax from Midland.

...and as N4GIX just said, don't try to use a CB type SWR meter on UHF.  1/4 wave antennas and "ghost" style antennas aren't tunable anyway, so you won't need a meter.

#6 roggom

roggom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • GMRS Callsign:WRJX801
  • Ham Callsign:NA

Posted 22 November 2020 - 12:48 PM

Thanks everyone for the responses. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users