Retevis RT76P programming

slice155

Question

I picked up two of these radios.    I asked and have received the correct download program from retevis,   what i cant get past is the password it is asking for ????????    I have emailed Retevis but its a chinese holiday.     I have also tried Chirp  but they do not list the 76p under models...      

1)  anyone have the password  

2) or does anyone know a close enough model number that i could try on Chirp.   

Programmed via software and keypad.  Had some difficulty with inability to Read from radio so just input and did a Write.  Worked first try on one and had to reboot laptop to Write to 2nd HT.  Seemed like all was good.  Programmed other items via keypad.

Took both out in the field for testing using Wouxun 805G, Kenwood 3170.  One of the 76 worked fine, the other will TX but would not RX against any of the other radios.  Set SQ to 1, made sure CTCSS were identical and made several attempts with no RX.  If you have a suggestion I’m wide open.

I’ll play with it at home today but if I can't make it work will have to see about returning.  Fortunately, I bought them here so am confident I'll get taken care of. 

Honestly, these being my first dual-band HT, I’m not a fan and prefer the simplicity of the 805G/3170 using GMRS only.  For me, it's a must to Lock the keypad whenever in the field.

What are you trying to program?  Repeaters?

All GMRS + Repeaters including names instead of freq. Successful with one, thought I could read that one, plug in the second and write to that one.

Can't read either at this point so obviously won't allow names to be entered via software, and there's no provision to do it from the keypad.

Error message "radio not communicating" or similar.

Yup com port 7 and UV-R5 are correct.

Had to reboot laptop to get first one done but not helping now.

Glad these are not my radios.. Wouxun, Kenwood and Retvis took some learning but nowhere near this much hassle..lol

Thanks.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Oh wow! Plugged in THEN powered up radio, instead of what youtube showed me, and got it to DL from the radio.. shees

Stock freq config is way off from standard channels I've seen elsewhere. But I can manually edit to match my other junk.

Also notice there's no selection for Tone "OFF" in the software but can be set off manually these are all set to 88.5 where default is usually 67, eh?

Success!

1.    I have a Retevis RT76P.  I would like to figure out how to connect to a local GMRS repeater.  I have obtained permission, and the owner responded with "Dpl411. In and out."  Is this the CTCSS code, and is this the same as the D411N code drop-down choice  in the RT76P software?

2.   I have downloaded the Retevis RT76P software.  But, it is not clear how to proceed to set up my radio.

I do the similar process with UV-5Rs and Chirp without any issues.  But, the Retevis instructions are clear as mud.

I can run the RT76P.exe application.  It looks similar to Chirp.

I saw information that says don't waste time trying to Read from my radio.  Just use the default, make your changes, and Write it to the radio.  I have choices of COM1 or COM4.  I have tried writing to the radio.  But, the screen shows "Hand shake", and hangs there, either COM.

I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you for your help.

1. I have a Retevis RT76P. I would like to figure out how to connect to a local GMRS repeater. I have obtained permission, and the owner responded with "Dpl411. In and out." Is this the CTCSS code, and is this the same as the D411N code drop-down choice in the RT76P software?

2. I have downloaded the Retevis RT76P software. But, it is not clear how to proceed to set up my radio.

I do the similar process with UV-5Rs and Chirp without any issues. But, the Retevis instructions are clear as mud.

I can run the RT76P.exe application. It looks similar to Chirp.

I saw information that says don't waste time trying to Read from my radio. Just use the default, make your changes, and Write it to the radio. I have choices of COM1 or COM4. I have tried writing to the radio. But, the screen shows "Hand shake", and hangs there, either COM.

I would really appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you for your help.

Hit and miss for me loading to the radio with R76 software. I have the authentic Retevis cable coming Saturday so will see how that goes. Managed to get 2 radios loaded after many attempts and various sequences plugging in, power up, etc . Managed to setup using keypad but a PITA. I'll let you know how it goes with the new cable ( provided I get my laptop back from repair with a dead battery).

Still unable to Read from the 76P with the 'authentic' Retevis cable (Prolific) but inserting data into the spreadsheet, filling out 'options' like Weather button on the side worked fine and uploaded to the radio.  Weather channels are where they should be.  Saved .dat file and loaded into a 2nd HT.  The 76P has NO Wideband capability.

Did the Firmware update using this:  

https://www.retevissolutions.com/blog/How-to-upgrade-Retevis-RT76P-GMRS-radio-firmware-for-NOAA-function

Still unable to Read from the 76P with the 'authentic' Retevis cable (Prolific) but inserting data into the spreadsheet, filling out 'options' like Weather button on the side worked fine and uploaded to the radio.  Weather channels are where they should be.  Saved .dat file and loaded into a 2nd HT.  The 76P has NO Wideband capability.

Did the Firmware update using this:  

https://www.retevissolutions.com/blog/How-to-upgrade-Retevis-RT76P-GMRS-radio-firmware-for-NOAA-function

It does, but apparently they've disabled the edit field in the CPS for Wide/Narrow in the latest version 1.48 (why?), and of course, it's disabled modifying it via keypad.

But, you're a lucky guy after all....

It just so happens that I have a copy of RT76P.exe version 1.45, which does allow you to modify W/N.

(I actually broke my Retevis programming cable, so I replaced it with a generic one from Amazon for $9.99 - no big issue.)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjoUJvZyt8o5iOIgB8Bx6ElB3Hz9DA?e=BqVkCZ

post-3748-0-87786000-1613853967_thumb.jpg

I'll have a beer....

It does, but apparently they've disabled the edit field in the CPS for Wide/Narrow in the latest version 1.48 (why?), and of course, it's disabled modifying it via keypad.

But, you're a lucky guy after all....

It just so happens that I have a copy of RT76P.exe version 1.45, which does allow you to modify W/N.

(I actually broke my Retevis programming cable, so I replaced it with a generic one from Amazon for $9.99 - no big issue.)

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjoUJvZyt8o5iOIgB8Bx6ElB3Hz9DA?e=BqVkCZ

//forums.mygmrs.com/public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif Wide.jpg

I'll have a beer....

Installed and opened and sure enough, can modify N/W.  Haven't plugged a 76 in to play with but sure it will work.  Odd that they'd remove that from an 'updated' version.

Thank you sir!

Maybe I'll have a beer, too.

Edited by WRAF233

So, I again downloaded the setup file, used my baofeng programming cable, attempted to write to radio, does not come up with a password, but it does say to "please link radio". The baofeng cable should work for the RT76P, correct? Or should I order a cable from Retevis? Thanks in advance...Clint

Normally, I would think that A Baofeng "Kenwood- type" smart cable, would work. It's possible the driver for that cable your PC isn't quite behaving in a manner acceptable to the RT76P. It wouldn't hurt to pick up a Retevis cable.

WRCY896, I too, can turn them off, in frequency mode, but not in channel mode.  On my Baofeng , I can set the ctcss to match the RT76P, and they will communicate with each other, until I turn the Baofeng off, then its back to square one. I was able to get the FM radio to work on both of my RT76P radios. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance WRDR980.

Did anybody ever figure out (1) what "root" is or (2) how to get it working? I tried it, but the updater timed out waiting for a handshake from the radio.

My guess is there's a sequence on the radio (e.g., a keyboard+power on sequence) that puts the radio in a mode that lets it be "rooted", whatever that does for you.

A couple observations:

- If reading from the radio doesn't work for you but everything else does, try running the RT76P program as Administrator; that fixed my reading problem.

- If anyone comes up with a way to change the frequencies in a memory channel, that would be awesome. Without it, you can't, for example, put two GMRS repeaters on the same frequency but with different tones into memories [i live in a town with 7 million people; we have lots of GMRS repeaters], and you can't put a receive-only non-GMRS frequency in a memory. Both of those features are legal and would be very nice.

Did anybody ever figure out (1) what "root" is or (2) how to get it working? I tried it, but the updater timed out waiting for a handshake from the radio.

My guess is there's a sequence on the radio (e.g., a keyboard+power on sequence) that puts the radio in a mode that lets it be "rooted", whatever that does for you.

A couple observations:

- If reading from the radio doesn't work for you but everything else does, try running the RT76P program as Administrator; that fixed my reading problem.

- If anyone comes up with a way to change the frequencies in a memory channel, that would be awesome. Without it, you can't, for example, put two GMRS repeaters on the same frequency but with different tones into memories [i live in a town with 7 million people; we have lots of GMRS repeaters], and you can't put a receive-only non-GMRS frequency in a memory. Both of those features are legal and would be very nice.

Regarding the last part.

I would like to put in a couple receive frequencies out of bad. But it doesn't look like the radio will let you do that.

Regarding adding additional GMRS channel slots, though legal, I don't think it has the ability to do so.

Basically a lot of the discussion based on the CCR/low parts count radios.

The Wouxon will let you add additional frequencies, but it costs twice as much, and has more filters in the hard coding to prevent out of band transmission.

The RT76P also has fewer keypad menu options (such as scan add/del), but is available in the program. Compare that to the GMRSV1 which has it in the menu on screens, but again, costs a few dollars more.

Also, I can't figure out how to get the weather stations programmed.

Hello all, so I was able to figure out some of the problems. After finding the comm port on my new computer, I was able to use the Baofeng cable. I was able to change the opening message, but that is about all. Unable to turn off ctcss/dcs codes. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance...WRDR980

Double click on each code and scroll to the top.

Also, I discovered for in the field, changing codes is pretty easy(at least ctcss). Menu 12 and 14. Then click menu. "0" turns off the ctcss codes and you can just type in the code as well rather than having to scroll through. I jave not messed with dcs codes.

The "3rd party" version of the RT76P program will allow:

- wideband on GMRS channels

- programming any [doable] frequency in any channel (so you can put the same GMRS repeater channel in 8 different channels on the radio with, e.g., different PLs, and you can program Part 90 stuff RX-only).

While the program indicates 128 channels, the radio only takes 30 (according to both my experimentation and Retevis). Similarly, the "3rd party" software offers options like "Encryption" (which I'm guessing is voice-inversion scrambling), but I couldn't make it work in my radios.

Still no idea what "root" does to these radios, or how to enable it.

...R