Retevis RT76P programming

slice155

Question

I picked up two of these radios.    I asked and have received the correct download program from retevis,   what i cant get past is the password it is asking for ????????    I have emailed Retevis but its a chinese holiday.     I have also tried Chirp  but they do not list the 76p under models...      

1)  anyone have the password  

2) or does anyone know a close enough model number that i could try on Chirp.   

Regarding the last part.

I would like to put in a couple receive frequencies out of bad. But it doesn't look like the radio will let you do that.

Regarding adding additional GMRS channel slots, though legal, I don't think it has the ability to do so.

Basically a lot of the discussion based on the CCR/low parts count radios.

The Wouxon will let you add additional frequencies, but it costs twice as much, and has more filters in the hard coding to prevent out of band transmission.

The RT76P also has fewer keypad menu options (such as scan add/del), but is available in the program. Compare that to the GMRSV1 which has it in the menu on screens, but again, costs a few dollars more.

Also, I can't figure out how to get the weather stations programmed.

If you're looking for a CCR with those capabilities, the Radioddity GM-30 can do so now, with the latest firmware update (v2.06). It could not do some of those things before.

It offers 250 memory slots, so 1-30 are the usual GMRS "channels" including 8 repeater channels. I've added 8 additional repeater slots (same frequencies, different PL tones), and a few ham repeaters to the programming on my radio, and it will transmit on all but the ham frequencies.

The GM-30 is definitely not on par with the Wouxon GMRS handhelds, but I'd say it's very similar to the Retevis, but with added capabilities, especially with the new firmware.

It's also comparable to the Retevis on price (about $40-45 at present).

If you're looking for a CCR with those capabilities, the Radioddity GM-30 can do so now, with the latest firmware update (v2.06). It could not do some of those things before.

It offers 250 memory slots, so 1-30 are the usual GMRS "channels" including 8 repeater channels. I've added 8 additional repeater slots (same frequencies, different PL tones), and a few ham repeaters to the programming on my radio, and it will transmit on all but the ham frequencies.

The GM-30 is definitely not on par with the Wouxon GMRS handhelds, but I'd say it's very similar to the Retevis, but with added capabilities, especially with the new firmware.

It's also comparable to the Retevis on price (about $40-45 at present).

I saw that today. Seems interesting.

I have quite a bit of stuff on my birthday wish list, so will see how that goes next week. That, and I plan to take my HAM test in the next couple weeks, so that is adding more stuff to my radio plate at the moment.

Lots of stuff to do, and not enough money and time to do it all. Haha.

Any links sent to you direct from Retevis are only valid for a limited number of days and then expire. As for the issues, I have never run into any problems when using the Retevis software and I own six different models. My guess is that since the RT76 family of radio is so newly released that they brought to market too soon and ended up with bugs still remaining but will correct this over time (one reason I never buy the newest model of ANYthing).  As far as CHIRP goes, I almost ALWAYS have issues with their programming software whether using it on Kenwood, Baofeng, Motorola or Retevis so unless as a last resort, tend to stick with the manufacturer's software.

I just got my RT76P and tried programming the bandwidth changes with the latest software.  It wouldn't do it, but I followed an earlier tip to load the old software, v1-4-5 setup, and it worked fine in that version.  Also, Retevis is apparently updating the software and Lucy sent me a newer version (using one of their apparently temporary links) with 'developing' in the name.  It appears that version will also let you add channels.  Here's the link to the 2MB field download that expires in 5 days.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/9c259b5366e356b01cd5b630a3bb35d420210525101916/cc4ea3ba70abd74e27276f8a21b9273520210525102016/34bb46?utm_campaign=WT_email_tracking&utm_content=general&utm_medium=download_button&utm_source=notify_recipient_email

I can report that the 'developing' program seems to work OK.  It does allow bandwidth change and adds a couple of options, though they may be more for Ham devices.  On the RT76P, you cannot add channels above 30.  You program them and when you read the device back, it shows they are on the device.  However, when you try to dial to them, you just go from 30 back to 1.  So additional channel capability in the software must be for other Retevis devices.

Just to add to more info about programming the RT76P...

The software I have (Vers. v1.0.1) allows me to enter channels 1-128.  I can enter 2m Ham, 70cm Ham, GMRS and FRS frequencies in any of these slots and write to the radio.  But I can confirm when operating the radio, the channel selectors (both knob and up/down arrows on front panel) only roll through GMRS/FRS channels 1-30, and no way to get to 31-128.

So, to use this radio for 2m or 70cm Ham, I borrowed the mostly unused FRS channels (8-14) and put in my 2m & 70cm Ham stuff (repeater capable).  RX works very well, but haven't been able yet to test TX. 

I have emailed Retevis support about how to access channels 31-128 (if even possible).  If/when they reply, I will report back.

Thomas

On 8/27/2021 at 10:59 AM, Citizen said:

The software I have (Vers. v1.0.1) allows me to enter channels 1-128.  I can enter 2m Ham, 70cm Ham, GMRS and FRS frequencies in any of these slots and write to the radio.  But I can confirm when operating the radio, the channel selectors (both knob and up/down arrows on front panel) only roll through GMRS/FRS channels 1-30, and no way to get to 31-128.

So, to use this radio for 2m or 70cm Ham, I borrowed the mostly unused FRS channels (8-14) and put in my 2m & 70cm Ham stuff (repeater capable).  RX works very well, but haven't been able yet to test TX. 

I have emailed Retevis support about how to access channels 31-128 (if even possible).  If/when they reply, I will report back.

Reporting back...

Retevis responded asking for my order information so they could report to their after-sales service support.  I replied accordingly and will await another response.

In the mean time, I did test TX on 2m & 70cm Ham on the borrowed FRS channels.  As reported, RX works great, but no TX.

On 8/27/2021 at 8:59 AM, Citizen said:

Have you tried to manually enter the channel number? I know on the Baofeng and Radioddity radios I'm familiar with, you can enter a channel number from the keypad. They require three digits so anything less than 100 requires one or two leading zeroes.

11 hours ago, WyoJoe said:

Have you tried to manually enter the channel number? I know on the Baofeng and Radioddity radios I'm familiar with, you can enter a channel number from the keypad. They require three digits so anything less than 100 requires one or two leading zeroes.

I had not tried that.  Good suggestion, thank you.

But now after trying on the RT76P, I can only enter two digits from the keypad, from 01-30.  If I enter anything over 30, it reverts back down to 30.

1 hour ago, Citizen said:

after trying on the RT76P, I can only enter two digits from the keypad, from 01-30.  If I enter anything over 30, it reverts back down to 30.

Citizen,

I have this radio, and I'm able to operate it above 30. However, I was given firmware by Retevis (WT_CD_RT76P _20210713(PIC).binX) and a tool to apply it (RT76P_Bootloader固件升级工具.exe).

In the new software they'll also give you (RT76P developing software.exe which is very buggy), you will see two #30 entries. Just keep adding entries, as many as you need. Then write to the radio. On the radio, it moves on from 30, 31, etc.

Ask for the firmware update from Retevis.

7 hours ago, pcradio said:

Citizen,

I have this radio, and I'm able to operate it above 30. However, I was given firmware by Retevis (WT_CD_RT76P _20210713(PIC).binX) and a tool to apply it (RT76P_Bootloader固件升级工具.exe).

In the new software they'll also give you (RT76P developing software.exe which is very buggy), you will see two #30 entries. Just keep adding entries, as many as you need. Then write to the radio. On the radio, it moves on from 30, 31, etc.

Ask for the firmware update from Retevis.

pcradio, thank you very much.  I did as you suggested: contacted Retevis and they responded with links to the firmware update.  I followed the directions and it worked, as I can now go above channel 30 with the keypad arrows or the dial.  I have not yet tested TX & RX (wanted to come online & give you an update right away).

Just another note:  I did not see two channel 30's, but notice there are two channel 36's, and NO channel 37 (I'm assuming the 2nd ch 36 is actually ch 37--will test that).

Thank you again!

Thomas

On 9/8/2021 at 5:52 PM, Citizen said:

pcradio, thank you very much.  I did as you suggested: contacted Retevis and they responded with links to the firmware update.  I followed the directions and it worked, as I can now go above channel 30 with the keypad arrows or the dial.  I have not yet tested TX & RX (wanted to come online & give you an update right away).

Just another note:  I did not see two channel 30's, but notice there are two channel 36's, and NO channel 37 (I'm assuming the 2nd ch 36 is actually ch 37--will test that).

Thank you again!

Thomas

Can you post the files?  They told me to download them but didn't provide active links.  It wants me to log into my account, and it'll only let me download software for radios I've purchased __directly__ from them.  Amazon purchase?  No such luck.  Suuuuper customer-hostile and baffling move.

I don't think I can in good conscience buy any more Retevis products, and it's making me reconsider their lunchbox repeater.

On 4/16/2021 at 5:24 AM, WyoJoe said:

If you're looking for a CCR with those capabilities, the Radioddity GM-30 can do so now, with the latest firmware update (v2.06). It could not do some of those things before...

I second Joe's suggestion in this regard with my GM-30 clone, the Pofung P15UV, which also accepted the Radioddity firmware update Joe suggested (thank you again, Joe!).

OffroaderX has reviewed both the GM-30 and the clone TIDRadio TD-H5 on his YouTube channel

5 hours ago, Ian said:

Can you post the files?  They told me to download them but didn't provide active links.  It wants me to log into my account, and it'll only let me download software for radios I've purchased __directly__ from them.  Amazon purchase?  No such luck.  Suuuuper customer-hostile and baffling move.

I don't think I can in good conscience buy any more Retevis products, and it's making me reconsider their lunchbox repeater.

Weird. I really like the radio and will soon have three of them. Software is a problem and I don't know why. Private message me and I'll see how I can get the files to you.

13 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

I second Joe's suggestion in this regard with my GM-30 clone, the Pofung P15UV, which also accepted the Radioddity firmware update Joe suggested (thank you again, Joe!).

OffroaderX has reviewed both the GM-30 and the clone TIDRadio TD-H5 on his YouTube channel

You're quite welcome!

16 hours ago, Ian said:

I am not a fan of the "you must create an account" mentality of some of these companies. Unfortunately, Tidradio does the same as Retevis in this regard, and requires you to do so in order to download their software. I don't mind creating accounts for sites where I expect I'll make multiple purchases over time, but I don't like it when I just want support for a product I bought through Amazon.

Fortunately, though, the TD-H5 is essentially the same radio as the GM-30 and P15UV, so you can use the GM-30 software from Radioddity to program it. I tried it when I got a pair of TD-H5 radios, but already had the GM-30 software installed. The software from Radioddity can be readily accessed without the need to create an account.

On 9/24/2021 at 12:58 AM, MichaelLAX said:

I had to register at Retevis today to request a download of their manual on a product I did not buy from them. 
We’ll see if they comply with my request 

Just a note....

I didn't buy my RT76P from Retevis directly, but instead ordered it through Amazon.  Upon submitting my request to Retevis for the firmware update, they asked for my Amazon order number first.  After I provided the Amazon order info, Retevis provided the links that I needed.  So I think all someone needs to do is provide proof they actually bought a Retevis product.

Ian, were you able to get access to the firmware?