Motorola CDM 1250 Programming

WRFF247

Question

12 answers to this question

Software is still available from MSI. Any quick google search can get you the latest PN and valid subscribtion price.

I use the standard MSI part number RKN4081C. It is a serial cable woth built in RIB. I also use the IOGear USB adapter. This is what MSI recommended back in the shop days. I tried some cheap usb cables and never was able to get reliable communications.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/FTDI-USB-Programming-Cable-Support-Motorola-CDM1250-CDM1550-RKN4081/153254242963?hash=item23aeaa2a93:g:aj4AAOSwWelfZB5W

I trust this guy, bought many cables from him and ALL of them have worked with no problems.

As for software, you will likely need to go to MOL and see if you can find it there, or talk to a radio shop to see if they can sell a copy. I believe Motorola cracked down on many sites that were selling older RSS/CPS files.

Do not install any version newer than R06.12.05. The newer versions only allow NB (12.5) programming without a Motorola issued EID which allows WB (20 & 25 kHz). You want 20 kHz for GMRS and 25 kHz for ham in both VHF High and UHF. Tons of details to be found on RR and the batboard.

Here's what I've found so far. With Motorola, they are proprietary in their programming software. Do a quick search on Chirp, nothing shows there. You can official buy a subscription to the software direct from Moto but for the cost you could buy a new radio set up for GMRS, no programming needed. 

Not to mention, you would need a computer running NOTHING newer than Win 8 to run the software. Too many hurdles, headaches and work arounds for me. I contacted usedradios.com and luckily caught them before finishing my radio. They did some additional programming for me (no charge) and it shipped today. This is going to be a simple base station unit and I don't need to be making changes to the programmed "channels" or frequencies. If I do, I'll eat the cost and time to ship it back to them and have them take care of it. 

Looking back (hindsight is 20/20) I wish I would have gone with a Kenwood. It seems that programming for that is much simpler. Oh well, for what I have into the Motorola, my intended use and it is a solid radio, it should work fine. It shows up on Saturday. I'll post and update after I get it connected and on the air. 

I'd agree that trying to set up the software and program a CDM radio can be a daunting task for someone new to radios. Heck, I remember getting a call from a guy with 40+ years radio experience because he couldn't figure out the "Personality assignment to zone" feature Motorola tossed in at the bottom of the CDM programming tree (it's not a bug - it's a FEATURE!).

I'm glad you found your way to used-radios.com  The stuff they sell is pretty decent at prices comparable to what you might see on Ebay - but as you found out, they'll also do the programming, which can save you some money and some hassles if you really just wanted to buy a radio you can count on right away.

Older Kenwood software can have some of the same issues running on newer Operating systems, but in general the Kenwood stuff is easier to acquire and use.

If there is a plus, the CDM has some pretty good audio quality - and their reliability is also good. Most of the times I've seen a CDM with problems, it was because somebody was hacking around with the software. You probably won't regret your purchase once you're using the radio and making clear contacts.

You can official buy a subscription to the software direct from Moto but for the cost you could buy a new radio set up for GMRS, no programming needed. 

Not to mention, you would need a computer running NOTHING newer than Win 8 to run the software. Too many hurdles, headaches and work arounds for me. I contacted usedradios.com and luckily caught them before finishing my radio. They did some additional programming for me (no charge) and it shipped today. This is going to be a simple base station unit and I don't need to be making changes to the programmed "channels" or frequencies. If I do, I'll eat the cost and time to ship it back to them and have them take care of it. 

Professional Series CPS runs fine with W10. Yes subscriptions cost money, but the CDM is a real radio and not a CCR in a box. You want good results you pay to play.

Professional Series CPS runs fine with W10. Yes subscriptions cost money, but the CDM is a real radio and not a CCR in a box. You want good results you pay to play.

You are exactly right and thank you for posting!

Yup, the Pro Series is a steeper learning curve than some, but it’s a well- built and highly functional family of radios. There’s hundreds of thousands of them still in daily service.