New to GMRS Radio Suggestions

wrongturn74

Question

Im new to the GMRS radio world. I have been active on CB for 30 years I have had $50 radios and $400 radios. I have been researching GMRS radios and I guess as always with the internet you get more information then you need or want. I picked up a cheap BTech radio to get my feet wet. I have had no issues with transmitting or receiving and have hit two local repeaters. Looking for a good handheld that would be repeater capable and programmable by the end user. Thanks in advance.

13 answers to this question

Well, first are you interested in only new radios or would taking a chance on buying a used one? The answer to that would narrow down the recommendations a bit.

There are a few new models while there is a forest of used commercial grade radios available. Some of those are Part 95 certified so are legal to use. Some people only want FCC part 95 certified equipment. Others are OK with the Part 90, the typical certification for commercial radios. There are by the way some commercial radios certified for both Part 90 and 95.

So far the FCC seems to ignore people using Part 90 only certified radios, but one should not assume that will continue to be the case.

I recently picked up a Wouxun KG-805G and it’s works pretty well. It receives much better than any Baofeng I’ve tried, especially with a Nagoya 771G antenna.

I’ve also used several Midland micro mobiles and they’re solid but the only one that can be programmed is the MXT-400 and there’s only 7 channel slots available for programming.

I just received a Retevis RT76P yesterday but so far programming has been a much greater learning curve than other radios I’ve used. Hoping to do some testing tomorrow.

Hope that gives you some help in your search. Best of luck!

Great...  As for the RT76P is that the repeater or walkie talkies?  If repeater would like to hear more of your experiences.  

Jack

I recently picked up a Wouxun KG-805G and it’s works pretty well. It receives much better than any Baofeng I’ve tried, especially with a Nagoya 771G antenna.
I’ve also used several Midland micro mobiles and they’re solid but the only one that can be programmed is the MXT-400 and there’s only 7 channel slots available for programming.
I just received a Retevis RT76P yesterday but so far programming has been a much greater learning curve than other radios I’ve used. Hoping to do some testing tomorrow.

If you are new to radio, then I would just start with a Baofeng BF-888s. it doesn't get any cheaper than that, like 9 dollars, so If you don't like radio or GMRS then you can smash the 888s with a hammer.

But, if you like it, I would advice not to buy a single more CCR. I would invest on a quality Part 90 radio made by Kenwood, ICOM, Motorola, Harris.

G.

Great...  As for the RT76P is that the repeater or walkie talkies?  If repeater would like to hear more of your experiences.  

Jack

Yes - HT or walkie talkie. I like to purchase radios to see if they're worth recommending to family and friends. I've tried several of the Baofeng radios and they've all worked pretty well, for the price. I've seen a lot of buzz about the Retevis HTs and ordered one. I initially had the same issue as most folks were complaining about, where they were unable to change CTCSS codes from the front keypad on the unit. Without playing around too much, found a firmware update that seems to have changed the radio into a dual band ham radio. I was at least able to test it and it seems to be working fine, even in the GMRS range but now can program VHF and UHF frequencies.

I'll be reaching out to Retevis this week to see if i loaded the wrong firmware. The Retevis software works ok. Can't download from the radio but can easily upload the config that is created.

The radio itself, so far, seems to work about the same as any other low cost HT. TX and RX seems a tid bit better than Baofeng. I love the size of it, as it feels a lot bulkier than other HTs ive used. I noticed the antenna is removable but it's a male connector, unlike the Baofeng's. If you want a better one, make sure you do your research.

Not sure if all my rambling helped your decision but let me know if you have any questions.

The MXT-400, if you buy the DBR1 cable and ask Midland support for the programming software download, has a few options that can be changed.

1) On power up, mine displays my call sign

2) I have the four local repeaters programmed into CH 8-11, they were empty due to unused FRS not permitted by FCC.

3) You can program display names into your channels.

4) Bandwidths that can be programmed into the channels are: 12.5kHz (narrow), 20kHz (medium) and 25kHz (wide). The factory had the repeater channels set for 25kHz on mine.

5) I can also program the repeater frequencies for which no repeaters are in use in my area for "talk-around" operation as a preset.

The MXT400 isn't very versatile in programming from the front panel.

I think I am going to try one of those Wouxon KG-1000G's.

I'd like to try one of those old rigs, Kenwood or Motorola, if I can get the software legally and it is 95A certified. I have a deep respect for Motorola products, but I don't want any risks in getting on the FCC's bad side. I get a ticket EVERY time I do more than 5mph over the speed limit... It's like they're just waiting for me to make a misstep!

To the OP.

What BTECH HT do you currently have?

Sticking to HTs, the next step up would be a Part 90 programable radio.

Even the current GMRS part95e radios are mid-level.

Then a full commercial radio (Motorola, ICOM, Kenwood and others) , but the radios and CPS are higher costs, but the quality is much better.

All depends of your goal and budget.

Just my .02, only been into GMRS for a year, but been through about a dozen radios.

8-)

To the OP.

What BTECH HT do you currently have?

Sticking to HTs, the next step up would be a Part 90 programable radio.

Even the current GMRS part95e radios are mid-level.

Then a full commercial radio (Motorola, ICOM, Kenwood and others) , but the radios and CPS are higher costs, but the quality is much better.

All depends of your goal and budget.

Just my .02, only been into GMRS for a year, but been through about a dozen radios.

8-)

I have the btech GMRS V1, also just picked up a Btech 50x1..

The MXT-400, if you buy the DBR1 cable and ask Midland support for the programming software download, has a few options that can be changed.

1) On power up, mine displays my call sign

2) I have the four local repeaters programmed into CH 8-11, they were empty due to unused FRS not permitted by FCC.

3) You can program display names into your channels.

4) Bandwidths that can be programmed into the channels are: 12.5kHz (narrow), 20kHz (medium) and 25kHz (wide). The factory had the repeater channels set for 25kHz on mine.

5) I can also program the repeater frequencies for which no repeaters are in use in my area for "talk-around" operation as a preset.

The MXT400 isn't very versatile in programming from the front panel.

I think I am going to try one of those Wouxon KG-1000G's.

I'd like to try one of those old rigs, Kenwood or Motorola, if I can get the software legally and it is 95A certified. I have a deep respect for Motorola products, but I don't want any risks in getting on the FCC's bad side. I get a ticket EVERY time I do more than 5mph over the speed limit... It's like they're just waiting for me to make a misstep!

Yours sir is one of the best posts I have read on this forum!  Thank you.  I purchased an MXT400 before totally understanding the full utility of the GMRS band.  My long sleeping interest has been rekindled.  Reading on this forum and others, I feel quite badly for having "inferior" equipment.  I don't particularly like buying Chinese products since I have too many already and I enjoy good quality enough to be willing to pay a premium.  A used radio would be okay if I was sure I could use it and not run afoul of the rules.  I value a good receiver section and have some experience with electronics and radios to at least partly understand impedance, cable losses and frequency matching of the antenna.  Soldering a pl239 was like learning all over again but I still had a silver plated Motorola one in my junk drawer.

what's a guy to do? A lot of criticism is thrown around on any of the commercial GMRS radios I can find to purchase.  With an unlimited budget what should I buy that is new and legal? I have owned Icom and Standard Marine and Air Band radios.  I am not trying to be a cheapskate and I want good equipment that I can use , enjoy and even be proud to own.  What are my choices?  I hate to admit having purchased an Wouxun HT and the programing cable.  It wasn't expensive and functions well but it isn't a Motorola or even a Kenwood.

I am all ears on recommendations and I'll suffer the ridicule of my junkie radios until they can be replaced.  Mean while, I'll be getting back to Midland for the programming cable and software because you just addressed many of my bigger concerns.  So far I seem to be getting decent performance from the equipment I own but I will always want better.

If you just want to give the radio hobby a try then just get a Baofeng BF-888S: its a 9 dollar radio. It programs with CHIRP, and the cable is like 9 dollars: in short, it should be the simplest and cheapest thing to get going. If you don't like the hobby, or for whatever reason you decide this is not your thing, then you can smash the thing with a hammer, set it on fire, blow it up with tannerite... and not much will be lost. All other CCR radios mentioned here, the Wouxun, the Retevis, et. all, all those will have similar low performance to the Baofeng BF-888S, except they cost a ton more (rip off??) and are equally bad in terms of receiver performance. Yes Yes... I know... here are the buzzwords to be aware of: Superhet, Hyperhet, Megahet, Turbohet... etc all those buzzwords are designed to sell overpriced cheap radios without the most important component: a proper TUNED FRONT END (to filter all the unwanted signals out there) which is what most LMR Part 90 radios will have... so the radios will work inside Best Buy and not blank out due to all the electronic noise present.

But, OTOH, if you do like the radio hobby, the next radio should be a quality LMR radio, not a cheap china radio (CCR). Personally, I would chose a Motorola, the HT1250 is a fairly inexpensive radio, or the Motorola XPR6550, or the Vertex Standard EVX-539 etc, but also Kenwood, or Icom LMR radios are pretty decent too. Remember that GMRS is NOT Ham radio, so, you don't need a VFO, nor the ability to transmit in 100 bands, or in fifteen different modulations. All you need for GMRS is a FM UHF radio that transmits and receives from 462.5 to 467.8 MHz, can store at least 22 channels, do repeater offsets and have the ability to set PL tones. That's about it. Most commercial grade radios will suit your needs.

G.

You're welcome, NCRick.

Which one of the radios you asking?

The HT1250 software is been EOL for a while now, I am sure it can be found on eBay for very cheap. The CPS you probably want for the HT1250/CDM radios is called "Professional Radio CPS" and the version you want is probably R06.12.02, which is what some of the people I know use while still allowing for 25/20 wideband operation. These are really great radios, most people don't think much of those, but they are absolutely bargains... and the receivers are really really good. They make those in a variety of frequencies, from 29 MHz all the way to 800 MHz I think.

The XPR6550 is a FM/DMR radio, and the sotware used is called MotoTRBO CPS16 which is EOL, and can be found on eBay for very cheap, although you can also get a Motorola subscription which will get you 3 years of firmware upgrades for all the newest MotoTRBO radios, etc... probably not what you need for just GMRS... I personally find CPS16 a far better product than the newest CPS 2.0 contraption.... which IMO, is a huge step back, almost to the point of being as clumsy as the clunky-a$$ ancient Professioan Radios CPS from two decades ago... so...  The cables for XPR6550 portables runs from 30-80 bucks, depending on if you want a genuine cable or the BlueMaxers49 eBay one, which works too... I have both... so if you just need to get by, the 39 dollar one will work.

The EVX-539 CPS the software was free from VSOL (Vertex Standard Online) It can still be found if you look around, and worst case you just buy it for a few bucks. There are two versions of this radio, which use different CPS, so, for the older segment LCD version you'll need CE142 and for the newer, Dot Matrix display you'll need CE151. The cable is the same for both, however, you'll probably need to get a genuine FIF-12, b/c I've tried a couple of the cheaper ones and none worked... so, the FIF-12 will set you back ~100 dollars, but its guaranteed to work. The EVX-539 have a fairly good receivers, but IMO, after trying the Motorola Professional Series, including the HT1250/CDM750 combo, I think the HT1250 is a better radio in terms of overall FM performance, easier to tune and I think better audio. I also found that the CDMxxxx mobile radios to be absolutely spectacular in terms of receiver performance, too, on par with the mighty XPR5550e I've ISO-teed... so... if you don't need digital, my vote goes to the CDM750/1250/1550 mobiles and for the HT750/1250/1550 portables (walkies) (The nomenclature is 750 = no screen, 1250 = screen with limited keypad, 1550 = screen with full numeric keypad) 

EDIT:

I think there is an option to make an HT1550 FPP, (front panel programmable) but I would ask around for more info. The 1250 not sure if there is an FPP since it has a minimal set of keys), the 750 is just a rotary switch with a couple of buttons, so that one you'll need the CPS. 

I've seen on Youtube people doing FPP with the 6550, so I know there is a way to make it FPP, but I am not sure how to do it.

The EVX-539 I don't think there is an FPP option, or at least not that I am aware of, so you'll need the CPS for this radio.

Good luck!

G.