Cable types and losses

JohnE

Question

been meaning to put this out there for a while,since I have had a few conversations about this w/various members.
first pics,cables from L-R w/associated N male connectors.
RG8/213 LMR400 type, 1/2Inch superflex, 1/2inch hard line also known as Heliax, 7/8inch hard line.

[ MyGMRS STAFF EDIT:  3 Photos no longer available from linked source.]

now lets talk about the losses in Db and how much power that is.
Cable type                                  loss at 100Mc                          400Mc

RG8/213                                      2.0dB/100'                              4.7dB/100'
LMR400                                       1.2                                         2.5

Hardline type                                       150Mc                              450Mc

1/2" superflex                                    1.3dB/100'                         2.3dB/100'
LMR600                                             1.0                                   1.7
1/2" Heliax                                         0.85                                  1.5
7/8" Heliax                                         0.44                                  0.8
1-1/4" Heliax                                      0.3                                    0.6

dB loss            power loss in %
0.5                        10                        100W in 90W out
1.0                        20
1.5                        30
2.0                        37
2.5                        44
3.0                        50
3.5                        56
4.0                        60

all of the above loss specs are manufacture specs, I strongly suggest that you measure your line loss w/watt meter if possible to know exactly what you are getting at the antenna.
IME most of the book specs are on the money for hard line ,RG8/213 can be a crap shoot depending on manufacturer. I've had some really bad and some pretty good.
LMR I've had a love/hate relationship w/, good cable but seems to be prone to moisture issues. wish I had pic of the 7yr old cable that pretty much self destructed.
hope this is of some help to those looking to put up a machine or control station in the future.
JE

***EDIT***

found this very useful

http://www.arrg.us/pages/Loss-Calc.htm

post-14-0-48825500-1584905103_thumb.jpg

post-14-0-03354700-1584905125_thumb.jpg

CONNECTOR CROP.jpg

CONNECTORS.jpg

Edited by JohnE

Stupid question....

I picked up 300ft Commscope LDF4-50A Andrew HELIAX at heck of a deal for a new antenna and 40ft tower. The tower is approx 100ft away from the radio room on the other end of the house. I can run the coax under the eave of the roof or underground but part of the roof is flat so no attic access. Distance would be equal. The game plan is to run two lines to the tower just incase or future use (I see a beam coming from Santa).

In looking at Commscopes spec sheet for the cable it doesn't mention anything about being under ground rated. Looking at retail shops online at the cable I see this statement:
"All HELIAX® coaxial cables are jacketed for direct burial or for corrosive environmental conditions."

I'd like to bury it for aesthetic reasons but would like to confirm if it is really rated for direct burial. Can anybody confirm?

Thanks!

I have never done direct burial on LDF. I always run it in conduit. 1/2" is pretty stiff so I'd use at least 1 1/2 or 2" conduit and I'd probably load as I go vs trying to pull after especially if you have any bends. Also remember LDF doesn't bend tight so if you have turns use a couple 45' angles vs a 90. 

Messi & Paoloni Ultraflex 7 verse Messi & Paoloni Ultraflex 10

Seems 7 would be easy to work with on a 45 foot run what are we talking in the real world anyone have experience in this?  

Why I'm considering 7? Cheaper, more flex, and in stock, in stock....that 10 Im looking for 

5 minutes ago, WRYN359 said:

I've been looking at this cable. Let me know how you like it.

It’s very good cable. I’ve used it and M&P Broadpro 10, which only differs from the Ultraflex by having a solid inner conductor. 
If you intend to shorten it be sure you can get the Evolution connectors. The very similar XCRD connectors from Amazon have too small of a hole to accept the stranded center conductor of the UltraFlex. 
Two US dealers carry it: Gigaparts and Buytwwayradios.com. Or you can get it directly from Italy. 

Gigaparts and Buytwwayradios.com.  has been out of stock for awhile, these are the same company I think as I went to Gigaparts next and talked to the same rep...  I ordered direct from Italy and had them install  the weather proofing, on 3 of the pl259 fittings, one fitting I was going to disassemble/shorten anyway, and was to be indoors unlike the other 3 end pieces.  received in 3 days WOW! 

50 foot run and VERY flexible, the fittings are such high quality and dissemble in seconds, It you order from Messi Italy they can also weather proof the ends.  Im hitting all the repeaters in my area 

link goes to my video, its 9 min, I also have a YouTube SHORT thats 1 min that is essentially the same. 

IMG_3819.jpeg

1 hour ago, Doggorunning1 said:

Gigaparts and Buytwwayradios.com.  has been out of stock for awhile, these are the same company I think as I went to Gigaparts next and talked to the same rep...  I ordered direct from Italy and had them install  the weather proofing, on 3 of the pl259 fittings, one fitting I was going to disassemble/shorten anyway, and was to be indoors unlike the other 3 end pieces.  received in 3 days WOW! 

I bought 50 feet of Ultraflex 10 just last week from Gigaparts. It’s popular. 

7 minutes ago, Doggorunning1 said:

Yes, 50 foot sections are in stock, matter fact never went out of stock; but thats about it, I needed a 12 and 25 foot premade. 50 feet is still in if thats what's needed.  

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/messi-paoloni-mp-uf10-jmp-uhfm.html

I got the 50 foot one and I’ll cut it where I need it and put two new ends on. That’s where I put the alpha delta lightning arrester. Then the remaining piece runs up the mast to the feed point. 
The ends are in stock at Buytwowayradios, but they’re almost twice the price there compared to Gigaparts. As far as I can tell I got the last ones Gigaparts had in December. 

If you watch my video, you can see the nice job they do at the factory with the silicone sleeves.  Very thick00888-MP-SILICONESEAL-S-Accessori-per-CSmall1.jpg.51293259969362256c7254ccbe761b6c.jpg silicon, really thick, when ordering it gives you this option.  Very impressed; think the option is around $7 

The fittings are very easily removed, sure its not your first time, it was for me, just a great design 

https://messi.it/en/messi-calc.htm