Power requirements for base shack

WRKS279

Hi all, need some clarification for base power requirements. Guy in a Facebook group thought I could only run my BTech 50X1 at 15 watts for base. I did a google search and found this citing at Cornell Law.

(a) 462/467 MHz main channels. The limits in this paragraph apply to stations transmitting on any of the 462 MHz main channels or any of the 467 MHz main channels. Each GMRS transmitter type must be capable of operating within the allowable power range. GMRS licensees are responsible for ensuring that their GMRS stations operate in compliance with these limits.

(1) The transmitter output power of mobile, repeater and base stations must not exceed 50 Watts.

(2) The transmitter output power of fixed stations must not exceed 15 Watts.

I guess the question goes to what's the difference between a "base station" and a "fixed station(s)"? Anyone got the goods on this? Thx

Hi all, need some clarification for base power requirements. Guy in a Facebook group thought I could only run my BTech 50X1 at 15 watts for base. I did a google search and found this citing at Cornell Law.

I guess the question goes to what's the difference between a "base station" and a "fixed station(s)"? Anyone got the goods on this? Thx

Think I found my answer at: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/95.303

Base station. A station at a fixed location that communicates directly with mobile stations and other base stations.

Fixed station. A station at a fixed location that directly communicates with other fixed stations only.

I think the important lingo there is "communicates with other fixed stations only." :)  So, a mobile radio attached to a power supply used as a Base that is communicating to other mobile units can definitely transmit at 50 watts. Do I have agreement??

I believe your conclusion to be correct. This topic has been discussed and debated many times before, and I do believe someone on this forum, perhaps even within the last 60-90 days, provided some very useful information that provides clarification.

My takeaway for years has been that there is a relative rare case in GMRS where a need can exist to establish a permanent point-to-point link between two transceivers that will always and forever only communicate between themselves for as long as they exist. (Think two microwave-like dishes pointed at one-another on towers 50 miles apart). When such condition exists the links are then limited to 15w.

My currently understanding is that the terminology stems from terminology that exists (or did exist) in the land mobile radio service from which GMRS evolved. And since there are grandfathered licenses out there that date way back in time, the language remains and continues to add confusion to modern-day GMRS licensees. The circular reference in the Fixed Station definition reference grossly adds to the confusion.

As always, I am willing to be educated. Yet after near twenty years I have yet to learn anything more credible than that.

Do a search on Wikipedia for the terminology and you will end of with a few more nuggets of both clarity and confusion.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Think I found my answer at: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/95.303

I think the important lingo there is "communicates with other fixed stations only." :)  So, a mobile radio attached to a power supply used as a Base that is communicating to other mobile units can definitely transmit at 50 watts. Do I have agreement??

The reality is that there are no "fixed stations" in the GMRS world. Period. Oh, I suppose there might be an instance where two GMRS licencees might only communicate with each other on a simplex channel from house to house, but how realistic is that? To even imagine that they would never talk even once to someone else is too much of a stretch!  :lol: