KG1000 mic extension cable

SkylinesSuck

Question

Just in case anybody was wondering, a standard CAT5 network cable extension works just fine to extend the cable from the faceplate to the mic. As if the remote faceplate wasn't easy enough to mount lol. I had called B2WRs and asked if it would work but they didn't know, so I chanced a few bucks to find out myself. I'm planning to mount the faceplate inside my center console in the Jeep and have the mic hanging from the usual TJ spot to the right of the steering column.

19 answers to this question

Photos please on completed installation by putting link to your post in jlwranglerforum, thanks.  Jack

Just in case anybody was wondering, a standard CAT5 network cable extension works just fine to extend the cable from the faceplate to the mic. As if the remote faceplate wasn't easy enough to mount lol. I had called B2WRs and asked if it would work but they didn't know, so I chanced a few bucks to find out myself. I'm planning to mount the faceplate inside my center console in the Jeep and have the mic hanging from the usual TJ spot to the right of the steering column.

I have better luck in posting photos in jlwranglerforum then in myGMRS.  I have not installed theTapatalk.  

I'll be happy to post up pics. That's what I was hoping to do in the Jeeps and Radios thread. Are you saying I can use that forum to host pics I can embed on here?

Oh, yeah, gotcha. Yes, most forums are more pictures friendly nowadays. I'm not super interested in registering on a new forum just to share pics of that install though, sorry. Hopefully a way presents itself to do that on here. I did upload a couple pics of my current setup on the Jeeps and Radios thread using Flikr, but you have to click the links. They aren't embedded. I'll do the same with new pics when I get it installed.

MacJacK and Skyline,

I use the TapaTalk app on my iPad and iPhone for this forum. Photo’s can be embedded easily with the app. Click Image, select Images, click done. The app makes working this an many others I belong to super friendly. IMHO it is worth the .99 cents a month fee.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Thanks and I'll take a look. I certainly don't mind paying for it. Actually I think I have already got a different forum. I just didn't like the interface at the time. This was years ago though. Does using it raise the image size limit?

It often prompts for a reduction of image resolution to one of three different sizes. I always choose the largest of the three and have been content with the outcome.

Michael

WRHS965

KE8PLM

Thanks for the endorsement for TapaTalk... I wish I had enough to contribute that requires uploading photos... You do as you are our "go to guys" as you supply photos were called for... e.g. your antenna test.  Keep it up and will paypal you a few dollars for TapaTalk.. joking.

Jack

MacJacK and Skyline,

I use the TapaTalk app on my iPad and iPhone for this forum. Photo’s can be embedded easily with the app. Click Image, select Images, click done. The app makes working this an many others I belong to super friendly. IMHO it is worth the .99 cents a month fee.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Aha, something I can contribute to on this forum! :)

As long as the topic shifted to “how to post pictures” I can contribute this:

There are generally two ways to put pictures in a forum post:

1. Uploading to the forum itself

2. Linking to photos hosted elsewhere

#2 usually always works and is done either using a “button” on the forum editor where you copy in a URL or you can “hand code” it by using tags

Tapatalk is using a hybrid method I think where they host the images and then create the tagged reference.

Method 1 has to be enabled by the forum and is less common because it costs money to store everyone’s photos.

Here’s a test at hand-coding (even though I’m using Tapatalk)

1*0KFB17_NGTPB0XWyc4BSgQ.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, worked.

I typed “img” enclosed by square brackets followed by the url for the image. (https://cdn-images-1.medium.com/max/1200/1*0KFB17_NGTPB0XWyc4BSgQ.jpeg) Then closed it with “/img” enclosed in square brackets

The trick is you need a photo hosting service. I use image shack (paid subscription) but there are free options as well. As long as you can get the url of the image you can use this method. You just can’t control the sizing of the image as it is displayed in the forum.

It’s a bit tedious but this method generally always works on forums!

And now back to the original topic. I have a KG-1000G on order and will definitely use this method as I am in a Jeep JKU but all my usual mounting options for a remote transceiver are taken and my wife won’t tolerate a footwell installation on the px side. I may end up with the transceiver mounted somewhere way in the back...

I used the brackets in my first post and it no worky. Maybe it's the hosting service I used?

If you can paste the url in a browser and have it show up it should work. Make sure you’re using square brackets. [ and ]

I don’t like the hosting services. When a user deletes something or changes their hosting services is messes up the links in the threads they are used within. Having done this myself in the past, I prefer to upload to the forum site.

Ah... a veteran of the Photobucket debacle. :D BTDT myself. It’s why I now use a paid service. A free forum is probably no more likely to persist image storage in perpetuity than a free photo hosting service.. at least that’s my assumption.

Back to the OT:

For remote mounting the mic with a Cat6 extension cable, this might come in handy (Cat6/RJ45 bulkhead mount):

https://www.amazon.com/Installerparts-Shielded-Industrial-Bulkhead-Coupler/dp/B01D0N79K2

2021-03-21_11-10-34.png

Very nice. I like that one a little better then the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MRZAN3R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_JZNEG88YR0RBBK9DB3RB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And yes, I am also a veteran of the photobucket debacle and am very familiar with bb code and the correct square brackets. I prefer using the board's native uploader as well for that reason and just ease of use. Unfortunately this board has a very small upload size limit and after trying Tapatalk again, I still hate the interface. I just turned off notifications in the app and only use it to post pics when I need to. I think the reason it didn't work for me was the hosting site I used, but I'm over it.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk