Anyone do any mobile installs in 19+ Silverado

WRFV510

Just bought a 21 Silverado 2500HD Diesel.  Im going to install my Motorola XPR5550e in it. The only place i can see is on top of the dash in the pocket. It has a sunroof So im not going to be putting a hole in the roof. i bought a Back Rack and a 12" plate for a ground plane. ill do a install post after i get everything. Just wanted to see if anyone else has photos of there installs on 19+ Silverados. I hope my Back Rack is grounded. 

A remote mounted head would be a big help. There's very few options for a traditional install. Most of the dash & console are plastic, with no good options for mounting a heavy brick.

You can also get an advanced mic option RMN5127 - or the full tilt PMLN7131 Hand Held Control Head mic (costs darn near as much as the radio - but makes mounting a breeze.)  Either one of those allows you to hide the brick under a seat or behind the seat, and then control the radio via the mic. Having voice announcement enabled helps a bunch with the more limited RMN5127.

If you go with the hidden radio - then you're probably going to need a mic extension cable - Motorola makes a few in different lengths - the PMKN4033 at 10ft  or the PMKN4034 for 20 ft. are the ones we use most often.

I looked into getting a remote head kit but there's no place to put that either. the head is too big for the slot next to the wireless charger and i would be in my leg room or the passengers if i put it anywhere but above the dash. If I put it above the dash id have to cut a big hole to fit the connecter through and i might as well just put the whole radio up there. there's plenty of room.   The PMLN7131 would be ideal but $479 is just not worth it for me. Id like to see the console plate but i use the wireless charger and i guess that covers that up. I have the safe in the storage compartment.  this is my install on my 17 Silverado

post-3241-0-01219100-1597396561_thumb.jpg
post-3241-0-33791900-1597396575_thumb.jpg

Phantom antennas suck. Do a simple test:  Put on the Phantom antenna, run your VSWR test, then step back 10 ft. from the vehicle & tilt your head 10 degrees to the right.  Now, screw on a standard 6 inch hatpin UHF quarter wave antenna, measure VSWR again, and then step back 10 ft. and tilt your head 10 degrees again, this time to the left.

I'm thinking the 1/4 wave hatpin will look much better after running your test. The 10 degree head tilt is optional.