Chickened out on truck install

Doctnj

Was just about to drill antenna hole then started looking for ways to run the coax back up front.  It was at this point I decided to have a pro install done. I know it's not the same but they have done some good work when they replaced my factory radio.  

Now the house... I got that. 

Was just about to drill antenna hole then started looking for ways to run the coax back up front.  It was at this point I decided to have a pro install done. I know it's not the same but they have done some good work when they replaced my factory radio.  
Now the house... I got that. 
Not hard to route the coax. Just a little problematic if you have curtain airbags and such.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

And honestly don't know that.  It's Hummer H2 pickup so there is a real nice flat spot on bed cover between back glass and the flip up part of cover.  

Very exciting news that my radio shipped Friday so probably here today or tomorrow. For the time being ill swap the radio in and out to house.  After they start shipping regularly I'll get a second one to keep in the car. 

I have a few options being delivered, cant quite decide on how I am going to install the GMRS. The truck is less important than the camper having a really good base station in it, so I also dont think I am going to drill any holes. I got one of the fender mounts from Rugged Radios to try. We'll see how that goes. 

AA

On 5/10/2021 at 5:29 PM, aadoby said:

I have a few options being delivered, cant quite decide on how I am going to install the GMRS. The truck is less important than the camper having a really good base station in it, so I also dont think I am going to drill any holes. I got one of the fender mounts from Rugged Radios to try. We'll see how that goes. 

AA

I'm interested to hear more about your camper install. Please and thank you.

AA
Have a fender mount from Walcott for the 02 burb. I've had to tack weld a support and tack weld it to the mounting location. The type I am using mounts to the hinge location.

Keeping in mind the support was due to the usage of a 10m hamstick (70"). When the 4 foot antenna it was fine. The 70" would rock side to side and when it whacks a tree cause the mount to tilt backwards.

Should of bought the other hood mount further down the hood. Would of stayed squared, but had the rocking.

Why 70", close to 1/4 wave 1st. 2nd didn't want 100 wants blasting me in the face. 3rd 3/4 of the antenna is above the roof line plus with the hamstick it is top loades.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Well I started the truck install today. The antenna mount is browning br-1258.  Routing the coax was the challenge I wasn't sure about. I have 08 h2 sut with bed cover.  There is flat spot in front of part of bed cover that hinges up.  I drilled the hole for the nmo part to pass through.  But the cover is about quarter inch thick so mount won't come through enough. Have to hollow out some of fiberglass to get it through enough to screw on antenna. The wall dividing bed and cab folds down and RG - 58 coax passes through the gasket without much pressure. So hard part is mostly over for now. 

I bought a used truck, to my surprise there was evidence of a radio install. The hole needed for the power supply was already there, I used a magnetic mount antenna and ran the wire down the weather stripping into the cab on the passenger side up in the dash over to the radio. When I search for some install advice on this truck people had commented on factory holes of possible use, looking for those helped me find the previous owners. I didn't skimp on the few items needed and took the time needed for a professional install. Even if removed you'd have to know what to look for to see any damage caused. I never mounted a handheld bracket, that would always be evident if removed. Dash has a niche, I use that.

The antenna is the 30 inchish one with a spring in the middle, it does what it claims and gives when it comes in contact with obstructions...I live in a woods, it's always growing, always trying to reclaim control. lol

7 minutes ago, gf66 said:

I never mounted a handheld bracket, that would always be evident if removed. Dash has a niche, I use that.

If you ever get the want to be able to mount without leaving too much of a trace. I would suggest looking at pro clips.  I used one for a while with my HT, I needed somewhere to clip the hand mic to. It now has a magnetic amp pattern mount on it to clip a cellphone to for APRS.

https://www.proclipusa.com/product-finder/vehicle

Ok so not real sure what the problem is.  Although there could be a few at the same time.  This is where I had in mind to mount antenna.  It's a hummer so front hood folds out and then most of back cover comes up. My old hummer had cover on bed w skin of aluminum. This is all fiber so zero ground plane.  Now on to potential problem 2.  I brought the coax in via the gap between the fold down back wall the separates bed and cab. I feel like it's not impinged but it's could be.  Trying not to drill a hole after seeing how thick the pillars are.  I serpentine the remaining coax side to side then into the HT.  Now possible problem 3.  About to hook radio up when I noticed I needed an adapter I didn't have.  Thought I had it covered. Ok so no problem I'll get my handy swr meter and it will bridge the gap. 

Now that is probably a big signal loss I would imagine.  The coax could be damaged in a pinch and the antenna is partly blocked and no ground plane. 

This particular antenna is supposed to come perfectly tuned for gmrs. So when I turned on swr and transmitted, I was a bit surprised to see such a big swing in numbers. On the same channel and no other physical issue changed.  I got as good as 1:1, then 1:4 then 1:10.  I'm not even sure these numbers mean anything with this set up either. 

Well I got it done today. 

I started with checking coax at entry point through gasket and it looked fine.  But I was getting a 1:9 swr with it on bed cover close to cab.  

First thing I tried was using some aluminum brackets to see if setting up a ground plane would change things.  The answer was no. 

Next I decided to try a new location up by luggage rack.  I just wedged it in there and it was unbelievable what difference that made. Swr went down to 1:1.01 so antenna is fantastic.  Could have had some signal cancelation bouncing off the cab in its previous location. 

So next I set out to fabricate a mounting bracket.  Set out on a trip where I knew what signal would do w just an HT with 771 antenna in place of rubber duck. 

The results are double the coms distance.  And actually wasn't really at its signal lost so who knows.  But continuing down that highway wouldnt really test much because it's a slow down hill. 

And sprayed bed liner on my bracket so it will blend in. 

I hit our local repeater and line of sight was 30 km. So I the last picture shows terrain. 

20210530_131053.jpg

20210530_140505.jpg

20210530_135926.jpg

20210530_143054.jpg

Antenna mount is complete. Going to wait on length and location of coax until I diced on radio configuration. 

Couldn't be happier at the moment. 

Bracket came out nice and with a dab of black on screw heads and it will disappear. To compensate for x threading antenna base to browning nmo mount.  I altered the mount bracket angulation to bring antenna back straight and sealed up w an elastomeric polyvinyl filler then several rounds coax seal.  

Wife asked me if I might get a shorter antenna.... Hahaha

20210530_180550.thumb.jpg.543d20d4240fcedb7985695ceb8e98b7.jpg

20210530_180606.jpg

• 1 month later...