Wouxun KG-UV9G WARNING! - Belt clip screws are TOO LONG!

MozartMan

So, I received my Wouxun KG-UV9G LITE today. It is very nice radio.  I decided to mount belt clip. Screw went in half of the length and stopped. I decided to take bigger screw driver and to force screw in. And screw snapped. And half of the screw is now inside the hole. And if you look at attached picture you will see that left screw is all the way in and how long it is.

Does anybody have suggestion how to take broken piece of the screw out?

TIA

screw.jpg.decfbe31593f6e478ae7c8bf8858ec68.jpg

27 minutes ago, JLeikhim said:

1) Use a Dremel tool with small radius to carefully carve a slot in the end of the screw shank, then back it out with a flat bladed screwdriver.

2) Drill a small hole into the screw shank and use an "easy-out" to back it out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screw_extractor

Thank you. 

Thank you. 

The community benefits from this info. I would certainly take the issue up with the supplier. The issue could be a simple as too long of screws being shipped or it could be the metal inserts in the case are flawed or there is plastic flash in the screw holes.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

2 minutes ago, mbrun said:

The community benefits from this info. I would certainly take the issue up with the supplier. The issue could be a simple as too long of screws being shipped or it could be the metal inserts in the case are flawed or there is plastic flash in the screw holes.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Thanks Michael. I will contact BSR.

2 hours ago, mbrun said:

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

So true Michael...  A good USA dealer should be able to get manufacture to do the right things.  

Jack

I also snapped off a screw on one of my ext batteries, tried to drill it out, but that was not working for me, so just drove out the the brass nut insert with a punch and replaced it with a new one. Grabed a new screw and all is good.

After I did this, BSR sent out a notice about a problem with the screw inserts, and a guide to help solve the issue, apparently Wouxun is aware of the problem and is working to fix it

2 minutes ago, Landshark said:

I also snapped off a screw on one of my ext batteries, tried to drill it out, but that was not working for me, so just drove out the the brass nut insert with a punch and replaced it with a new one. Grabed a new screw and all is good.

After I did this, BSR sent out a notice about a problem with the screw inserts, and a guide to help solve the issue, apparently Wouxun is aware of the problem and is working to fix it

Thanks for the info, Landshark.

Now, the question is: where did you get new brass nut insert and a guide to solve the problem?

I bought some from Amazon. I thought who knows might prove useful on other projects in the future, the metric 2.5 x 5 worked well. To be honest at first I thought it was just my mistake, so that is why I did my own repair. I later found out there is a problem with the original threads have some glue or paint in them.

Also normally it would not have been an issue since I rarely used belt clips, but the holder in the vehicles needs it.

5 minutes ago, Landshark said:

I bought some from Amazon. I thought who knows might prove useful on other projects in the future, the metric 2.5 x 5 worked well. To be honest at first I thought it was just my mistake, so that is why I did my own repair. I later found out there is a problem with the original threads have some glue or paint in them.

Also normally it would not have been an issue since I rarely used belt clips, but the holder in the vehicles needs it.

Thank  you!

You may want to find a reverse drill bit, instead of using a normal one. Often, especially in a low torque fastener like this, once you begin drilling the screw out, using the reverse drill bit, the screw will back out, without the need of an easy out. 

5 minutes ago, PRadio said:

You may want to find a reverse drill bit, instead of using a normal one. Often, especially in a low torque fastener like this, once you begin drilling the screw out, using the reverse drill bit, the screw will back out, without the need of an easy out. 

Thanks for suggestion. 

But the problem is that other good insert is not good and screw is too long. So, I ordered two kits from Amazon and will replace both inserts like Landshark did.

Metric Female Thread Knurled Brass Threaded Insert Embedded Nuts Assortment Kit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GLJ7KCJ

Laptop Notebook Computer Replacement Screws Kit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HC3LQYS

did you get this email from Mark at BSF

a3c6d947-db2f-46cb-b7db-138c4dd454c6.png

Email QST

UV9G/UV9P 3200mAh Battery Belt Clip Tip

A helpful tip to avoid damaging your BLO-012 battery due to a recent Wouxun manufacturing issue.

Greetings!

Out of the few hundred UV9G GMRS & UV9P HAM radios that I've shipped since March 2021, a handful of owners have reported some problems with the belt clip screws on their BLO-012 3200mAh batteries that come with the radios, or spare batteries that they've ordered since around early March 2021. This doesn't appear to be unique to stock that was sent to BSR.

The problem is that the belt clip screws aren't going into the BLO-012 3200 mAh battery far enough to secure the belt clip, and are sometimes shearing the screw heads off when too much force is applied, leaving a broken screw inside the battery's threaded hole, rendering it unable to ever have a belt clip attached.

I've been working on this problem for a while now, and while it initially seemed like a problem with some of the belt clip screws being too long, after some trial and error and working with a couple customers on the issue, and now having been confirmed by Wouxun and their parts supplier, we've concluded that there is a problem with the threads inside the screw holes on the BLO-012 battery itself whereby there is some residue from the manufacturing process that is "gumming up" the threads. The problem does not exist with the optional BLO-010 2000mAh batteries because they use a slightly different moulding process.

While Wouxun and their parts supplier retool to fix this problem for the production of new batteries, if you want to install your battery belt clip(s), please do not force the screws in. The screws should go in with minimal force, until the last turn against the clip mounting plate. If they get stiff before they even reach the belt clip mounting plate (when held flush against the battery), don't continue to torque them or they may break off inside your battery, rendering it forever unusable with a belt clip.

Installation Tip:
Instead, as soon as the screw gets a little stiff, back the screw out slightly and then screw it in until it starts to get stiff again. Repeat this process over and over, driving the screw in ever so slightly more as you go, until it goes in enough to make contact with the belt clip mounting plate. You may want to do this initially without the clip in place, to prepare the threads for the installation. It only take a handful seconds to do this and when done properly, will thoroughly "clean" the threads and avoid breaking the screws. When you do affix the belt clip, avoid using too much torque on the final turn against the clip mounting plate, as it's just not necessary to hold it in place securely.

If your screws are still not "cleaning" up enough the threads enough to go in far enough before getting to stiff, then you should wait until I can send you new steel screws that Wouxun is sending me, or try the following washer method below.

Alternate Solution:
Another solution is to use a 1mm or slightly thicker washer with the screw (between the clip plate and the screw head, not under the clip plate) to help bridge the gap. This works and will be fairly secure, but not quite as good as using the "thread cleaning" method above. I will publish the recommended washer size as soon as I can find time to figure it out myself.

If you have already accidentally broken off a screw in a new BLO-012, I am offering a battery replacement discount (email me from the BSR contact page with your order # for details).

I'm sorry if this issue has caused you any inconvenience. It's been hard to track down, but we at least know what the problem is now and should have a formal solution soon. In the meantime, use care if you do attempt to install your belt clip.

Cheers and thanks, and please keep the amazing UV9G & UV9P reviews and reports coming as I continue to ship them out as fast as I possibly can!

-Mark

7 minutes ago, Landshark said:

did you get this email from Mark at BSF

a3c6d947-db2f-46cb-b7db-138c4dd454c6.png

Email QST

UV9G/UV9P 3200mAh Battery Belt Clip Tip

A helpful tip to avoid damaging your BLO-012 battery due to a recent Wouxun manufacturing issue.

-Mark

No, I did not.

Good video... Yes the screws are to long... I just do not use the belt clip. The Dealer and MFG should make good for this problem...

Agreed. For an issue like this, I believe Wouxun should provide a replacement battery to each user that received a defective one. That is the right thing to do and the kind of customer service that endears a manufacturer/vendor to a customer.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

• 10 months later...
4 hours ago, CMG1012 said:

Reviving this old thread to see if someone can give me a precise measurement of the distance between the screw holes. I’m working on a mounting solution for this same radio while I wait for mine to arrive. Thanks. 

It is 30 millimeters.

I see you’ve fixed it but just for future reference on broken screws, try a scratch awl and a hammer. Doesn’t work every time but I always start with this method first. Make sure the tip of the awl is at a sharp point, and lightly tap the sheared bolt trying to reverse it out. Once it starts turning you got it. This only works maybe 50% of the time but it’s worth a shot.