Kenwood TK-8180 K software confusion

WRMS528

Question

I have previously posted as a guest on this forum, but now have my license , so I joined. 

I have searched through a lot of threads on this forum, as well as many other resources on the internet.  Including Kenwood field service manuals & other PDFs from Kenwood & info on official dealer sites, & sites selling Kenwood software.  I keep getting incomplete information.  Everything seems to list TK-8180 & no "letter" suffix and other variants of the 8180 such as "H".   But can't find for the TK-8180 K.   Some sources have said KPG-89D , but when I open the software  & go to pick a model at the top tab.  It gives me a drop down (pic attached) with several specific 8180 models, but not for the "K" model.  Some people have told me to just use the option with 8180 & no letter, but that sounds like a long shot to me.   I saw somewhere that the is a KPG-89DK software, but I could not confirm which models this is used for. 

Is there a dependable & complete list of which software goes with which Kenwood somewhere?  As, I have 3 different Kenwood mobile models (8180,8102,8160)s which I eventually want to program.  Also when I figure out which software I need.  Is there a good source / site to be able to download from safely.  Also do I need to check / update the firmware in the radio before programming?  I have Windows 10.  I have read the TK-8180s can be programed on Windows 10. 

Thanks,  WRMS528

IMG_9171xx.JPG

8 answers to this question

I'm sure 8180 owners and experts will chime in, but for now:

The "H" means high power, 45W in case of 8180. From programming standpoint 8180H and 8180 should be identical.
"K" - I have no clue, but with my Kenwood 3170 "K" is a regular one, and "K4" is with 12-key keypad. I would follow the advice and chose 8180H if your radio on hand is 8180H-K.
Safe download - now this is a longshot these days! hamfiles.co.uk considered to be reliable. I just download from the radiosoftware.ru, I like to live dangerously.
Kenwood software for Windows works in Win10. I personally have KPG-49D and KPG-101D working fine.
Firmware update does not seem to be required (with my 880 and 3170).

I have a few 8180s in the 30W  version and it worked fine for all.  axorlov is correct, the 'H' is high power and K1/K2 is the firmware edition probably. The manual for all the 7180/8180 series is the same and software is shared.  I've had no issues using 49D software on any of mine and once one is done I simply upload from that one then download configuration to a new one so they're identical.

Run with it and don't sweat.

OK, thanks guys, I will try the KGP-89D software using the TK-8180 (no suffix) dropdown option. 

Since I first posted this question, I read that the "K" suffix models are narrow band only.  Hopefully this is not the case or is reprogramable.  As I want to use on repeater frequencies , which if I understand correctly need to be wide band . ?

Thanks, WRMS528

5 hours ago, WRMS528 said:

OK, thanks guys, I will try the KGP-89D software using the TK-8180 (no suffix) dropdown option. 

Since I first posted this question, I read that the "K" suffix models are narrow band only.  Hopefully this is not the case or is reprogramable.  As I want to use on repeater frequencies , which if I understand correctly need to be wide band . ?

Thanks, WRMS528

What you really want to know is which type is it.

TK-8180-K1 (FCC ID's K4437313210 and K4437313110)

TK-8180-K2 (FCC ID's K4437313220 and K4437313120)

You can check the detailed FCC certifications by typing in the above FCC ID's into the following website, then click on search.

https://fccid.io/

The difference is the "band split", the frequency range over which the radio is specified to work. The -K1 type is either a 450 MHz to 512 MHz or a 450 MHz to 520 MHz model depending on if its the lower or higher power model. Both are FCC Part 95 certified, legal to use for GMRS. The -K2 types are only certified as Part 90 radios.

Both types will do wide or narrow band FM.

Before buying a radio I normally do a search for the manufacture's sales brochure. They are a good source to see what the general features and the technical specifications are for the radio in question. In your case look here. This saves a lot of time asking for info.

http://www.swscomm.com/kenwood/TK-7180_8180.pdf

When buying a used radio make absolutely sure you look at a photo of the radio's name plate, which shows the exact model type, FCC ID and serial number. It's not uncommon for sellers to screw up the description, in at least one case for me a deliberate case of misrepresentation, the seller shipped a radio that did not match the name plate on the one in the ad photos, different band split which was totally useless for my needs, I did get a full refund through eBay. In another case the radio was not FCC certified, no FCC ID, it was an European type that required a different version of the software to program it, which was hard to find. That radio works fine but is an odd ball in my collection. The code plugs from the US and European types of the same base model are not interchangeable so I have to maintain two versions for this one.

One more thing about buying used radios, passwords. Almost, if not all, commercial radios can be password lock preventing the radio contents from being read out, which almost nobody really cares about, and the second prevent the radio from being reprogrammed with a new code plug. If you get a radio with a write password, and you don't have a version of the programming software with an "Engineer's" level install key, you can't load a new code plug in the radio. Your only options is find somebody who has the software to bypass the password or take it to a radio shop, or Kenwood service, pay a ridiculously high bench fee for the tech to do 5 minutes of work clearing out the old passwords. I've had a few radios like this that where I have the software to bypass the passwords for those models. The seller may not even know if the radio is password locked or not. You can ask before purchasing and see if they know for sure or not.

IMG_9172.thumb.JPG.20d44268bf97008dc5f5c8436a972e35.JPGLscott,  Thanks for the detailed explanation. 

According to the FCC ID on the radio, it looks like part 95 as you said .

So is the type 1 or 2 from the specifications on Kenwood manual, as my radio doesn't state TK-8180 K 1 or 2.

saadad.JPG

It looks like a type 1 radio. I verified that by looking up the FCC ID to be sure. The certification shows what power levels, bandwidth and frequencies the radio got the certification for and the relevant FCC Part code section.

https://fccid.io/K4437313110

I think this radio would be just fine, this is the 30 watt model and FCC certified for Part 95. Now all you need is the software, programming cable and hopefully the radio comes with a usable microphone.

I'll throw a note of caution on totally trusting that fccid.io site, as i've noticed a few glitches in the data (they list a couple of my radios as 'part 9', when FCC lists them as part 90).

it takes a little more doing (breaking up the id correctly), but you can search fcc's database from this page:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm?calledFromFrame=N

here is the listing for that TK8180 a couple posts up:

https://apps.fcc.gov/tcb/GetTcb731Report.do?applicationId=mQJdXuk4NgS25wdTS%2BjTOA%3D%3D&fcc_id=K4437313110