TIDRadio BL-1 Bluetooth Wireless CPS Programmer

mrgmrs

Randy of YouTube channel NotaRubicon released the following video (link below) recently.  It discusses a new product: the TIDRadio BL-1 Bluetooth Wireless CPS Programmer.  It's a dongle which supports programming certain radios without the need for a PC or programming cable.  For the small list of radios it supports currently, you plug the dongle in the radio and using an app on your smartphone you program the radio.

I assume the list of supported radios might grow over time.  Also, though it appears to support the Baofeng UV-5R, that might be for the base model and not all variants currently.  Also, I have no idea how good this device is at this point (e.g., are there significant bugs?).  If interested, do your own homework.

If anyone has obtained this device and used it, please give us your feedback.

It was an easy "impulse" buy for me at $22 and my desire to see the existing limits of this technology.

The list of current models that it supports is woefully short; missing my two desired models: my Anytone AT-779UV in my car and my recently purchased for $28 Pofung P15UV (a/k/a Radioddity GM-30) for use in wargmrs'ing to detect repeater tones with its tone scanning feature.

But it does support the Baofeng UV-5R for which I currently have 3 variants: UV-5RHP (8 watt), the UV-5x3 (tri-band) and RD-5R (DMR).

So far I have only used it successfully with my UV-5RHP and unsuccessfully with my Pofung P15UV.

I have yet to read the supporting User Sheet and it is relatively intuitive and easy to install (after first charging it with its included USB to USB Micro cable):

Plug the device into the K-1 speaker/earphone jacks, turn on its power switch and turn on the UV-5R's power switch.

Download the ODMaster App on my iPhone, click Program, then Connect Bluetooth, Turn on the Bluetooth connection to "TIDRADIO KIT, Select Model: BaoFeng UV-5R, click Read and as the transceiver blinks red, the BL-1 blinks green and the status bar moves from left to right on the ODMaster App.

It then goes to Program & Setting with a choice of Channel or Function and all of the normal "Chirp-style" options are available as downloaded and easily modified and then click WRITE to upload the changes, with the blinking lights now both green as it uploads.

I have not yet been able to get the SAVE feature to work: it presents me with a box that says Save to RX/TX List and I can give the file a name and then Confirm it. But I do not know where these files are stored and how to retrieve them.  

If I try to "experiment" with a model that is not the same as my HT, such as trying to experiment with my Pofung P15UV, it freezes up and I have to shut the dongle down and restart.

I am somewhat optimistic that they will soon support the P15UV as TID Radio sells their clone, the TD-H5.

I am not very optimistic about my RD-5R which is manufactured by Radioddity based upon their GD-77 DMR HT in the Baofeng format. Not even Chirp tends to support DMR radios which require more complicated database programming.

And my Anytone has a R45 microphone/USB cable connector, so I am not too optimistic about this one either (although I would be willing to make a K-1 to R45 adapter if the ODMaster software ever supports it or one of its clones (Radioddity DB-20G)).

Later today, I will pull out the User Sheet and see what I am missing.

So next to confirm it works with my Baofeng Tri-bander, as well; which I suspect it easily will.

All in all, it does what it claims to do but with a very limited list of supported radios at this time.

And with new radios added to the list, presumably only the ODMaster software has to be Updated and still work with the BL-1 hardware.

MichaelLAX, thanks for your detailed comments.  Somewhere (review on Amazon? comments on NotaRubicon's video?), somebody also mentioned a question about where the save feature stores files.

I wonder if the files are saved in a default app/folder on the phone.  For example, iPhone has a "Files" app/folder.  I assume there is an equivalent on other phones.

2 hours ago, mrgmrs said:

MichaelLAX, thanks for your detailed comments.  Somewhere (review on Amazon? comments on NotaRubicon's video?), somebody also mentioned a question about where the save feature stores files...

That was probably my comment/question to Randy's video; currently unanswered.

The Users Guide does not help much above what I already knew, unfortunately!

What is really missing is the Open File button, it seems to me!

The Save feature would be handy, but not indispensable; especially if there is no way to convert it to a Chirp file.  

I will inquire more deeply if/when TID updates the models to include the TD-H5 (Pofung P15UV).

• 2 months later...

I have a pair of UV-5X(G) GMRS radios. I ordered a TID bluetooth programmer from Amazon in September 2021.

At first it was not supported and I e-mailed TID. The responded that they were working on it.  Within a few weeks, the App was updated and included the radio. 

It is a little clumsy to use, but for in the field I could see were this would be helpful.  I like using CHIRP for most of my programming. 

I have e-mailed them again because I purchased a KG-UV8D Plus which is not supported. Let's see if they respond. As a mater of fact they actually do not have any Wouxun radios listed.  

On 12/13/2021 at 2:26 PM, Weasleyoc said:

As a mater of fact they actually do not have any Wouxun radios listed.  

There are even some models of TID radios that are not listed. The TD-H5 GMRS radio is one such model.

I think they'd generally want to support their own products before adding other products to their application.

Certain Baofeng models may be the exception to this rule by virtue of the sheer number of radios sold, which would have a significant impact on the potential audience for this product.

• 8 months later...

Good day everyone.  My new Tidradio TD-BL-1 Bluetooth interface an Odmaster software just incapacitated 2 on my UV-5R radios. Neither can receive on any frequency unless the mon button is pressed.

Anyone else see this happen?  Is there a way out?  I tried reset on both radios.

2 hours ago, Wrue597 said:

Anyone else see this happen?  Is there a way out?  I tried reset on both radios.

Do you have access to a programming cable and computer?

With what you describe, my first thought would be to look at whether it did something wonky with the Rx tone settings (are the tone and type what you thought they should be?), or the squelch levels.

I absolutely agree with Wayoverthere.  Look at the configuration in whatever CPS you’re using to see if you can see what the problem is.  

Sorry to be Captain Obvious, but for future reference, try programming one first and make sure it still works before programming the second.

Also, read from the radio and save that configuration before ever programming something new so you have that to get back to.

Since it works when you press Moni, the first two things I would look at at changing from TSQL to TONE and I would also decrease the Squelch level.  Either one of those could cause you to miss hearing transmissions.  

3 hours ago, Wrue597 said:

Good day everyone.  My new Tidradio TD-BL-1 Bluetooth interface an Odmaster software just incapacitated 2 on my UV-5R radios. Neither can receive on any frequency unless the mon button is pressed.

"Reset" of everything? (IE: clear all memories, or only reset processor keeping memories).

You've stated you have two of the units. If you just set both to the same simplex channel, with NO TONE SETTINGS, will one receive the other?

Do the radios/programmer have anything like:

image.thumb.png.1410dd4608925b0e5556d6a15aa730d1.png

If it does, check the values -- those control the relative squelch setting for each of the 10 (counting #0) squelch levels one can select. The higher the number, the stronger a signal needs to be to open squelch; the defaults on the BTech rigs ran fairly high so even a single level step was a major change (max is 123 on this rig).

Or could the programmer have written different Tx bands into the radio. Based upon what I've read, the UV-5R is nominally an Amateur (2m/70cm) radio -- default transmit range would be 144-148, and something in the range of 420/430-450. Outside of those it would be receive-only (and if you don't have anything transmitting on those bands there would be nothing to hear)..

I was surprised to see new activity on this thread.

BTW, some person, "some person" ?, released a newer Youtube video seven months ago about the updated 2.0 version of this device.  You ? (dramatic pause) are our favorite GMRS Youtuber.

On another note, @Wrue597, hope you are able to restore your radios.

• 6 months later...

Don't know if anybody still reads this forum. I just bought the TD-BL1 unit to use with my two BF-F8HP radios. In the Odmaster, there is an entry for a F8 radio, which will not work. There is no entry for BF-F8HP. Support suggested I use "AlterVer" which worked but hosed my CTCSS tones changing all of them to "q53.5HZ" and would not allow the tones to be changed manually after that... they would not save. So I had to reset the radio and reload my list with Chirp. 

I have to say the price is right for the TD-BL1 and the hardware seems nice but Odmaster is the crappiest software I have ever seen and the fact they require you to sign in and deal with all this social garbage is inexcusable. Really disappointed. No matter what you hear, the support for the hardware and software by two different entities is crap also. I recommend sticking with Chirp.

• 9 months later...
On 8/29/2022 at 1:25 AM, mrgmrs said:

BTW Randy, in case there's a resolution issue with the emoji in my post above, that's an *index finger* pointing to the word 'you.'

Here’s how it appears.  Perhaps not just a resolution issue:

05BCB6B5-6F20-4FFA-8C30-6B34182C263F.thumb.png.b99853f31fb39180965fb8901d6c89a2.png

• 1 month later...

Hi Folks,

So I used it successfully to program two GM-30 (beta).   Programmed one, saved the settings, and then cloned it onto another. However, I don’t seem to be able now re-read those new setting, or write the setting file that I saved (and wrote successfully one time to a GM-30 (beta).   This sucks, because i had a lot of good frequencies and had took some time.   

If I try to re-read, it either hangs or gives and error.  Also, if I try to write the old file, it gives and error, or hangs…However, if I write and earlier file (no problems) wait…I think i have to turn sync off….crap…let me try that.

13 hours ago, TRRP said:

Hi Folks,

So I used it successfully to program two GM-30 (beta).   Programmed one, saved the settings, and then cloned it onto another. However, I don’t seem to be able now re-read those new setting, or write the setting file that I saved (and wrote successfully one time to a GM-30 (beta).   This sucks, because i had a lot of good frequencies and had took some time.   

If I try to re-read, it either hangs or gives and error.  Also, if I try to write the old file, it gives and error, or hangs…However, if I write and earlier file (no problems) wait…I think i have to turn sync off….crap…let me try that.

Do a factory reset and then see if you can read it. 
Reading from one radio and writing to another can be really bad if they’re on different firmware levels.