Central Florida Nets

Piorano

Unable to connect to any GMRS nets in my area. Seems the only one is in Fort Pierce, FL. Is that the only 

one I can connect to? Very new to the GMRS hobby. 

I am licenced on GMRS and would like to participate in some of these weekly and monthly nets.

Not much simplex here in Central Florida area - Winter Garden, FL, 34787

Thanks.

Pio Romano

WRMG448 

GMRS.JPG

Welcome!

You do not mention the model of your radio.

If portable, drive closer to one of your local repeaters and see if that works.

Once you can hit one repeater, helpful repeater users will tip you off to other operating opportunities.

Be sure you are entering the proper CTCSS or DCS transmitting tone as required and noted in the detail of your repeater map.

Osceola 700 and Wedgefield 725 appear to be down according to the notes on their repeater pages here on myGMRS.om

Be sure to check for the proper tone, for example 141.3 on Pasco 550 (I only set the tone for my transmissions and not for my reception, as I like to be sure to hear everything available, especially when I am traveling to use distant repeaters):

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 10.18.35 AM.png

• 5 months later...
On 9/23/2021 at 12:58 PM, Piorano said:

Unable to connect to any GMRS nets in my area. Seems the only one is in Fort Pierce, FL. Is that the only 

one I can connect to? Very new to the GMRS hobby. 

I am licenced on GMRS and would like to participate in some of these weekly and monthly nets.

Not much simplex here in Central Florida area - Winter Garden, FL, 34787

Thanks.

Pio Romano

WRMG448 

I know it's been a while since you posted this. There is still no net in central FL that i know of at least not in GMRS. But on good news there's a bunch of new repeaters that have gone online since you made this comment. I am actually the owner of one of those repeaters and a node connected to the mygmrs network.
If you are interested why don't you get a node deployed in your home? All you need is a radio with a sound card, an antenna and cable, a raspberry Pi and internet access and you have a node in your house connected to the network that you can move around to other nodes to participate in any net's.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...

"alexd51 : All you need is a radio with a sound card, an antenna and cable, a raspberry Pi and internet access and you have a node in your house connected to the network that you can move around to other nodes to participate in any net's."

Being mostly located in Central FL near UCF, I am actually one looking into this.  I understand that MyGMRS is using Asterisk for this purpose... and with that I would be able to use my HT around my home and neighborhood on my own Node and hear the Nets, etc as it would be connected to the MyGMRS National Network.  That said, I see there are others such as the Lone Wolf Network which I think is also connected to the MyGMRS network albeit that is were it gets a bit confusing as to what Node and system would better serve my needs.

If I am understanding this right, the MyGMRS network is building a network such as like the amateur radio East Coast Reflector *dotcom with many ways to enter the system, which I would think is the way to go as GMRS gets more popular and as it does I would bet apps like Echolink could be modified for GMRS use, etc.

Any advice on what worked for others regarding personal nodes?  Equipment *Radio w sound card* used and so forth would greatly be appreciated and surely helpful to others over here.

Thanks guys and 73