New to GMRS

AK

Do you know anyone in your area you can test it with? If not, do you have a repeater nearby that you can listen into and then test transmission? We have multiple GMRS radios and testing wasn't an issue with the radios for us. Testing repeater config is a different step, our nearest IP linked repeater (to form a large area) is about an hour's drive away. But we are rural Colorado. 

What part of the country do you live in? Often, there may be a repeater, or repeater systems, near you and setting up wouldn't be that hard. In Colorado, I just had to reach out to a gentleman that managed repeaters to get the current information. On the other side of the state, I needed to join a group (just an online setup, no $, to help control access to their repeaters) to get the information. 

7 hours ago, AK said:

Hello I am new to GMRS 

I received my license, and purchased the btech gmrs-v1.

How do I test this unit ?

Thanks for you help.

AK,

Welcome to the forum and to GMRS. What do you want to test on your radio?

From the other replies on the thread, it looks like you don't have anyone to talk to that is near you.

Do you know anyone near you that has any FRS "bubble pack" radios (the ones from Walmart, Big-5, etc.)?

If so, you should be able to talk to them using simplex (radio to radio) communication. This would allow you to test the functionality of your radio.

If you're looking to test repeater operation, you'll first need to figure out what repeater you will use, and unless it's an open repeater, you'll need to get the owner's permission to use it.

Anyhow, we can give better advice once we understand what you want to test on your radio.

Once again, welcome to the forum.

this request for help setting up a radio and what if anything is nearby points up the problem of buying online. There is no local help available. My suggestion is to search for a local ham club and ask for help. Hams generally happy to offer assistance and can also offer a path toward getting an amateur license with more power and options. While I had radio experience so programming the radio wasn't difficult for me, I know how daunting a task it appears to someone with no knowledge 

OK: Always helps to let us know your city and state (Midwest is a large area!); from research it seems you are near or in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Go to your Channel 25, which should be labeled Rptr-17 (462.600)

Go to Page 49 of your manual and follow these instruction to go to Menu-12 and enter the Transmit DCS frequency of 464; Do NOT enter a receiving frequency at this time.

You should now be able to use the MKE 600 repeater. Report back your results:

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 3.17.22 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-24 at 3.21.17 PM.png

When you choose to talk to someone simplex (both transmitting and receiving are on the same frequency), and not through a repeater:

When you need the most High power, use Channels 1-7 and 15 through 22, which are 5 watts on your Handheld; although avoid Channel 17, which shares the same frequency as the output of the MKE 600 repeater.

The other party you are communicating with can use up to 50 watts on Channels 15-22.

When lower power for nearby proximity can work, use Channels 8 through 15, which are limited to only 0.5 watts.

• 1 month later...

Yes, Repeater 17 is Channel 25 on your radio.

Set your radio to transmit with digital tone 464 (as I noted above from instructions in your manual).

optionally you can set your radio to receive for tone 67.0 Hz, but try it without this tone initially to get it up and running 

Your transmit tone of DCL 464 tells the repeater to recognize you as a proper user of the repeater and then retransmits your signal.

A receiving tone can be used to "filter out" others who are transmitting on the same repeater output frequency, but I suggest you ignore this tone for now.