Roadside assistance/Day hikes

Guest Edward

I came across your website while I was search for information about using GMRS radios for emergency situations related to road trips/day hikes where there is no cell phone service. Could you share your experience/thoughts about relying on a GMRS radio to ask for assistance in those kind of situations. For example; needing a tow truck. 

Locations:  California/Nevada/Arizona/Utah/Colorado 

Places: National Parks/ Forest service roads.

I am not overlanding. 

Any information is appreciated, thank you.

Edward

30 minutes ago, Guest Edward said:

I came across your website while I was search for information about using GMRS radios for emergency situations related to road trips/day hikes where there is no cell phone service. Could you share your experience/thoughts about relying on a GMRS radio to ask for assistance in those kind of situations. For example; needing a tow truck. 

Locations:  California/Nevada/Arizona/Utah/Colorado 

Places: National Parks/ Forest service roads.

I am not overlanding. 

Any information is appreciated, thank you.

Edward

Cliff notes: unless youre thinking communicating with another member of your group, I would put gmrs lower on the list of what I'd depend on. PLB with 2 way messaging may be a better option (here is a list of some I found on Google, no endorsement of the site or a specific product https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-personal-locator-beacon)

While having options is good, I would rank gmrs down the list for a few reasons. First, and foremost, getting help is dependent on there being someone else around to hear the need for help. If you're with a group and that's who you plan to communicate with, them it's not a bad choice. However, many users on gmrs are primarily there to communicate only with their group,  and run "privacy tones" to not hear users outside their group. The "someone out there to hear" also applies to repeaters; many don't see much activity, and there are many out there not listed because they're intended for family use only. While there is definitely some good areas of enthusiasts out there (arizona/NM and the great lakes areas and their networks come to mind), it isn't like that everywhere.

On the functional side, UHF is pretty line of sight, and attenuated by brush and foliage, limiting your range; this is compounded with a handheld, because even in the clear you run into horizon issues due to the curve of the earth, also limiting range, though being on a high spot helps. Finding a repeater would be the highest odds of getting any good range to be heard.

On some specific areas, I do know of some good coverage in Arizona and into New Mexico, I don't know of any coverage in sequoia/kings canyon, nor any with good coverage of Yosemite, though there might be some spots that can reach one. I don't know of any IN the parks. As I understand it, even the ham side is spotty into Yosemite, though kings canyon is said to have some coverage.

Hope this helps. Not trying to be negative about it, just realistic.

Getting help in those situations relying on low power FRS/GMRS units will be spotty at best. While more people are installing and using these radios, they are not widespread. Portable, hand-held radios have a radiated signal of 5 watts power, just like the vast majority of radios used by others. Mobile or in-car units can have up to 50 watts of power on some frequencies. The primary issue is having another station in range which is why it would be hit-or-miss. The other radio services available to most people, CB and amateur have many more users and a greater chance of being able to reach another party. CB has 40 channels with a more structured use in that there are some channels used primarily for travel. The problem with a hand-held walkie-talkie is the antenna length needed for its lower frequencies. FRS/GMRS operates at a much higher frequency band so the hand-held antennas range from 6 inches to about 19 inches. This is off-set by the fact two stations have to be virtually in a straight line from each other or in line-of-sight. GMRS radios can use repeaters which will allow a signal to be retransmitted from another location to cover more distance. Repeaters are not real common, but there are a lot of them in-service.

Amateur, or ham radio is another option. The portable, hand-held units have roughly the same power as the others but have many more frequencies or channels on which to operate and a very robust repeater infrastructure. Both GMRS and amateur require FCC granted licenses to operate. GMRS doesn't require any more than the license and equipment while amateur requires some knowledge of both radio and the regulations proven through a 35 question test. Amateur equipment is generally more expensive than GMRS, but that's off-set by its flexibility and greater infrastructure.

In use, ham and CB share in the fact they both are used for talking between stations without the language found on CB. FRS, limited to very low power is often used by families and children with some business thrown in. You won't find much in the way of  general conversational use on GMRS due to the low overall number of users. My recommendation is to get licensed for both amateur (Technician) and GMRS. Use both on the road but amateur on the trail.

I will not repeat what was said above. My experience in Central and North California coast and foothills is the same. There is some activity on FRS around big campgrounds, there is none on the trail. I usually keep my radio on scan when I'm hiking. So, for me, GMRS is strictly to communicate with my family and camping buddies.

Thank you to every one for replying to my question. I do appreciate your experiences and insight. I was just hoping to not spend as much on a satellite communicator, and thinking it might just be a little over kill for my needs. 

Thanks again.

Edward 

Guest Roverbill

If you DO decide to go with a satellite communicator (for which no license is required) it is my understanding that the “Spot” system actually offers a ‘roadside assistance’ program. For emergency use only, the Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) units would be the best value in satellite devices, as there are no monthly fees.