myGMRS National Net System (California)

New guy here.

Welp, I got a little excited when I read a little on the myGMRS National Net System, that is until I looked at the map. Looks like California is pretty much out of luck. I'm going to assume its that pesky little Sierra Nevada Mountain range that's causing an issue or just not enough participating repeaters?

35 minutes ago, danno02 said:

New guy here.

Welp, I got a little excited when I read a little on the myGMRS National Net System, that is until I looked at the map. Looks like California is pretty much out of luck. I'm going to assume its that pesky little Sierra Nevada Mountain range that's causing an issue or just not enough participating repeaters?

More the latter. I want to say there's one node in the greater LA area that may have started participating for the national net, but that's about it.

Alternately, there are some sites that join the net that also have availability via zello.

19 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

More the latter. I want to say there's one node in the greater LA area that may have started participating for the national net, but that's about it.

Alternately, there are some sites that join the net that also have availability via zello.

Which repeater in LA?

8 hours ago, wayoverthere said:

I want to say i saw Crestline (I want to say 575 or 675) as linked up when I was looking the other day

Pretty sure Crestline .575 is not linked.. If it was you would be seeing everyone complaining about the non-english long-talkers on it all day with out ever ID'ing with a callsign.

• 1 year later...

I was driving South through Ventura, Ca. today (~5:30 pm) and caught what sounded to be a weekly GMRS net on 21. People were checking in with call-sign, but some were from New York, Florida and Long Beach, online/internet. Any ideas what this was? WDWR237 - Jeff

2 hours ago, WRWD237 said:

I was driving South through Ventura, Ca. today (~5:30 pm) and caught what sounded to be a weekly GMRS net on 21. People were checking in with call-sign, but some were from New York, Florida and Long Beach, online/internet. Any ideas what this was? WDWR237 - Jeff

From what I see active on the map, Verdugo looks like the most likely suspect; it's a bit of a reach to ventura, but the description does indicate it being linked. The out of state activity coming via Zello is a definite possibility; I've dropped into a couple out of state repeaters that way before (when I still had access).

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2023 at 2:46 PM, WRXT271 said:

MichaelLAX: Are there any GMRS user groups or GMRS clubs in the San. Fernando Valley?

Michael’s not been logged in since May 1, you might try sending him a personal message and he may get that. I don’t know if there are but I think he would know. 

• 5 weeks later...

I now have an outside antenna. I hear repeater traffic but I do not know how to find out exactly what repeaters they are. I've looked here on myGMRS it it is difficult to figure it out. I'm in Burbank, CA. I went to a high location and I did activate a repeater in Ventura County. I have put many requests in for repeater use and I have received absolutely no replies. I'm kind of disappointed. I put a few "open" repeaters in my radio and I cannot access any of them even from 1350 ft at a park. Any help would be greatly appreciated. RJ

• 7 months later...
I now have an outside antenna. I hear repeater traffic but I do not know how to find out exactly what repeaters they are. I've looked here on myGMRS it it is difficult to figure it out. I'm in Burbank, CA. I went to a high location and I did activate a repeater in Ventura County. I have put many requests in for repeater use and I have received absolutely no replies. I'm kind of disappointed. I put a few "open" repeaters in my radio and I cannot access any of them even from 1350 ft at a park. Any help would be greatly appreciated. RJ

I’m in the SFV and have had the same issues. I still only hear some stuff but for some reason can never make the contact. Repeater or simplex. I mean on am on an HT though in a fairly busy area buildings interference etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk