Channel 22 emitting morse code on PC 0 every 15 minutes

TheDeacon

Question

I'm a newbie to GMRS in South Texas.   I have a BAOFENG UV-5X, and have noticed that channel 22 in my area is emitting Morse code every 15 minutes on privacy code '0'.  I decoded it to "WBE744", and when I looked this call sign up on FCC website it shows ownership by "CAPSTAR TX LLC" with it canceled in 2020.  Looking at the details this shows as having been owned by IHeart Radio in Tulsa OK, with radio service type: AS - Aural Studio Transmitter Link.  I have several questions related to this:

Assuming I decoded the Morse code correctly, would callsigns be re-issued across different radio service types?  Assuming I decoded it incorrectly, are GMRS call signs ever 6 characters long (e.g. my callsign is 7).

Finally, assuming this is a valid repeater, are they supposed to identify on privacy code '0' every 15 minutes even when not normally transmitting? This gets annoying when monitoring the channel over long time periods.

If anyone knows what this is, and can eliminate my guess work I would appreciate it!

6 answers to this question

I am guessing you missread the DTMF. I say this as the call you listed is for 948.00MHZ. 

Being your on a not so good radio it could be interfearance/intermod or some other off frequency channel. If your receiving on frequency I'd verify the call again.

As for code 0. Thats Carrier Squelch. Most repeaters ID with no PL so they dont bother users who use PL. 

Not sure where in Texas you are but many repeaters on the 725 frequency.

https://mygmrs.com/browse?name=&location=&state=TX&frequency=725&output_tone=&input_tone=&type=&ori=&travel=&sort=State&step=25

I'm a newbie to GMRS in South Texas.   I have a BAOFENG UV-5X, and have noticed that channel 22 in my area is emitting Morse code every 15 minutes on privacy code '0'.  I decoded it to "WBE744", and when I looked this call sign up on FCC website it shows ownership by "CAPSTAR TX LLC" with it canceled in 2020.  Looking at the details this shows as having been owned by IHeart Radio in Tulsa OK, with radio service type: AS - Aural Studio Transmitter Link.  I have several questions related to this:
Assuming I decoded the Morse code correctly, would callsigns be re-issued across different radio service types?  Assuming I decoded it incorrectly, are GMRS call signs ever 6 characters long (e.g. my callsign is 7).
Finally, assuming this is a valid repeater, are they supposed to identify on privacy code '0' every 15 minutes even when not normally transmitting? This gets annoying when monitoring the channel over long time periods.
If anyone knows what this is, and can eliminate my guess work I would appreciate it!

In the GMRS service, when in use, repeaters are required to ID every 15 minutes when used by any party(s) other than the license holder. If they are sitting idle, they are not required to ID, but many do so every 15 minutes 24 hours a day.

It is not at all uncommon for repeaters to ID without sending a CTCSS or DCS code. One benefit of this is that persons who choose to use a a CTCSS or DCS Rx code on their radios is that they do not have to listen to the ID every 15 minutes.

Callsigns do get recycled. The pattern for callsigns has evolved over the years for various radio services. If a old callsign does not fit the current pattern for a service, it is my understanding it would be recycled only within the service for it follows the current pattern.

I cannot answer the question on whether GMRS every had 6 characters only. I do believe you have identified that the service for which it was previously assigned was “AS”. This is a service I am not presently familiar with.

Also, the rules for repeater identification do vary with service. For example, the amateur radio service requires a 10 minute interval when the repeater is in use.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

Currently all GMRS calls are 4x3, that is four letters followed by three numbers. They are all sequentially generated. An example would be mine: WQWU626.

Legacy GMRS calls were 3x4, that is three letters followed by four numbers, just as were the 11m CB calls from the past. That is of course because at that time our current GMRS frequencies were Class A CB and issued for business and/or personal use. An example of a legacy Class A call might be: KAE8142 while a Class D call would be KQI2403 (my old CB call).

While all Class D licenses are now non-existent, Class A licenses are still valid as long as they are kept renewed every 10 years.