Baofeng programming cable is compatible with Wouxun KG-935G

CombatVet

Question

Hello, fellow GMRS'ers...

Out of curiosity I wanted to test if my Baofeng UV-5R programming cable was compatible with my new KG-935G. I am very happy to report that indeed it is compatible with the KG-935G. I have confirmed that it communicates flawlessly with the KG935 and the horrid Wouxun software.  I am not sure if this has already been discussed here, but I wanted to help others save some $$ on buying an expensive programming cable from BTWR. $50 is a bit steep for a simple USB cable! An $11 cable works as good as a $50 cable. Sorry, not sorry, BTWR. 

Here is the link to the cable that I am using: 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FS8SSPS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I simply plugged it into a USB port. Set the COM Port to COM1. Ran the Wouxun programming software (Yuck!). Connected the radio to cable. And, viola! No special sorcery or VooDoo magic to get this thing to work. If anyone has any issues getting their radio to connect to their PC let me know. I'll be happy to help you out.

73's

John (WRON425)

10 answers to this question

What cable were you looking at that was $50?

The Wouxon one is $15.99:

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-pco-001.html

My experience is that this cable is MUCH better than the typical Baofeng one, and I use it for all my radios that require that type of cable now.  No driver games, and I have one radio that would transmit when you plugged in a cheap cable; no such issues with the Wouxun one.

Interestingly enough, on the KG-935G page it says that cable is $14.99.

But I think I know where the $50 came from.  You were looking at the RT Systems cable and software, which IS $49.

RT Systems software requires that you use the corresponding RT Systems cable.  The item on the BTWR site is a bundle with both cable and software.  But the cable can be used with multiple different radios that use the Kenwood interface, so you buy the cable once and then just buy the software if you want to program other radios that use the same cable.

Their software packages are great.  Often easier to use than the manufacturer's software (if there IS any) and Just Works.  When you get right down to it, analog radio programming software looks like a spreadsheet with another page where you can set options on the radio.  So there is nothing fancy about their software; it just works and isn't full of bugs.

But if the Wouxun software meets your needs, then no reason to buy the RT Systems bundle.  I would still recommend paying the couple extra bucks to get their programming cable.

I dont know what cables you are talking about, but I got my programming cable from BTWR for $15 - anyone can, right here: https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-pco-001.html

FWIW, i have also had about 5 of those $11 amazon cables and they either didnt work at all, or stopped working after a few months... The extra $5 for a cable that is virtually guaranteed to work from BTWR is well worth it..  No voodoo or anything required on Windows or Mac.. just plug it in and it works.. Unlike your $11 junk cables.

2 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

I dont know what cables you are talking about, but I got my programming cable from BTWR for $15 - anyone can, right here: https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-pco-001.html

FWIW, i have also had about 5 of those $11 amazon cables and they either didnt work at all, or stopped working after a few months... The extra $5 for a cable that is virtually guaranteed to work from BTWR is well worth it..  No voodoo or anything required on Windows or Mac.. just plug it in and it works.. Unlike your $11 junk cables.

Here is the link of the cable I mentioned earlier...https://www.buytwowayradios.com/rt-systems-rps-kg935g.html

I don't see why BTWR is charging $50 for a cable that was probably made at the same place the $11 was manufactured and charging extra $$ for software that they offer as a FREE download on their own site.

My junk cable was plug and play and no trouble to use at all. I've been using my one and only programming cable for over over a year without any trouble. I'll keep my junk cable, which works perfectly fine for it's intended purpose, and my extra cash in my wallet for future GMRS radio and equipment purchases.

Just my opinion and mine only. I shared my knowledge about the cable compatibility so that others that are on tight budgets can save some coin. No harm in that at all...

50 minutes ago, wrci350 said:

What cable were you looking at that was $50?

The Wouxon one is $15.99:

https://www.buytwowayradios.com/wouxun-pco-001.html

My experience is that this cable is MUCH better than the typical Baofeng one, and I use it for all my radios that require that type of cable now.  No driver games, and I have one radio that would transmit when you plugged in a cheap cable; no such issues with the Wouxun one.

Interestingly enough, on the KG-935G page it says that cable is $14.99.

But I think I know where the $50 came from.  You were looking at the RT Systems cable and software, which IS $49.

RT Systems software requires that you use the corresponding RT Systems cable.  The item on the BTWR site is a bundle with both cable and software.  But the cable can be used with multiple different radios that use the Kenwood interface, so you buy the cable once and then just buy the software if you want to program other radios that use the same cable.

Their software packages are great.  Often easier to use than the manufacturer's software (if there IS any) and Just Works.  When you get right down to it, analog radio programming software looks like a spreadsheet with another page where you can set options on the radio.  So there is nothing fancy about their software; it just works and isn't full of bugs.

But if the Wouxun software meets your needs, then no reason to buy the RT Systems bundle.  I would still recommend paying the couple extra bucks to get their programming cable.

Roger that. I'm a complete novice when it comes to GMRS. Being not aware that the software and cable bundle can be used for other radios was my misunderstanding. But, still trying to help others save cash if all they have are 1 or 2 radios. 

Thanks for the heads up. It's appreciated. 

73's

35 minutes ago, CombatVet said:

Here is the link of the cable I mentioned earlier...https://www.buytwowayradios.com/rt-systems-rps-kg935g.html

I don't see why BTWR is charging $50 for a cable that was probably made at the same place the $11 was manufactured and charging extra $$ for software that they offer as a FREE download on their own site.

Yah, that is a 3rd-party cable and software package - the 3rd party charges more, thats why BTWR charges more for this option. Most people buy the $15 cable from BTWR, use the free software that comes with the radio, and call it a day..

Those of us that have programmed hundreds of radios have learned (the hard way) to stay far away from those cheap $11 cables...

1 hour ago, OffRoaderX said:

Yah, that is a 3rd-party cable and software package - the 3rd party charges more, thats why BTWR charges more for this option. Most people buy the $15 cable from BTWR, use the free software that comes with the radio, and call it a day..

Those of us that have programmed hundreds of radios have learned (the hard way) to stay far away from those cheap $11 cables...

Roger that! Note taken and your advice is appreciated. Time will tell how long this cable will hold up. I will order the $15 cable tomorrow and keep it in my "Go Kit" as a fail safe backup. I have lots to learn :)

PS: I guess I got lucky with a functional, trouble-free China made programming cable. I didn't have to install any obscure/outdated drivers either. It just worked for me out of the gate. Who knows! 

73's

John (WRON425)

Chiming in on the cables. I purchased the RT Systems cables when I purchased their software. I am able to use their cables with the Wouxun software and the RT Systems software. I have cables with the Kenwood-compatible connector for the HTs, and one with the RJ45 for use with the KG-1000G. So now the Wouxun cable stay in storage and I am only using the RT Systems cables.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM

I originally had 3 distinct K-1 cables:

1) an FTDI-chip $22 cable that I purchased on Amazon for my original Baofeng UV-5R, UV-5RHP, and tri-bander UV-5Rx3; *

2) a chipless cable that came with my Radioddity RD-5R DMR HT; and

3) a RJ-45 cable that came with my Anytone AT-779UV mobile radio

All of them work fine on my Mac when using CHIRP and in Windows XP inside Parallels on my Mac for the RD-5R and 779UV.

*This same cable works find with my subsequent additions of the Pofung P15UV (a Radioddity GM-30 clone) and the ham radio version, the TYT-UV88 (both using Windows software the UV88 can also work in CHIRP)

I am contemplating getting the BlueMax49ers FTDI chip cable for $25 for my Yaesu FT-857d, which I was told will work with CHIRP.

1 hour ago, MichaelLAX said:

I am contemplating getting the BlueMax49ers FTDI chip cable for $25 for my Yaesu FT-857d, which I was told will work with CHIRP.

I use only FTDI chip cables from BlueMax49ers. They are guaranteed to work or the owner will work with you to get one working. That's premier service!

The point about these cables that hasn't been made clear is:  there are a lot of different cables for different radios with different programming or mic/speaker sockets.  The most common is the two-pin "Kenwood K-1" style used by most Baofeng (not all) and many other brands.  Yes, a good FTDI K-1 cable is about $15.

The price you are quoting is for the proprietary (but outstanding) software produced by RT Systems, AND their software, in a bundle.  Their cables supposedly had some sort of special wiring or chip inside that was required to use with their software (a form of piracy protection).  However, once you buy a bundle, you can use that same cable with another compatible radio and just buy their software for less money.  They are a small, USA-based company that writes and supports their software, unlike the terrible software that comes with CCRs.

So, a legitimate comparison is between a good, reliable, non-RT Systems K-1 cable (~$15) vs. your $11 cable.  It's a small difference to pay for avoiding reliability or compatibility issues later.