Retevis RT97S - BYO Raspberry PI/Interface? -- Repeater Link Bundle "Sold Out"

Skinnerfam95

Question

Hi, I'm sorry if I haven't found these details if they are out there.  I'm guessing that the "Sold Out" status of the link bundle has to do with PI shortages.

I would like to buy the RT97S and start using the repeater.  The Link Bundle/DIY option is less important-- but I do want to get it as soon a practical.

I already have my own PI and I can buy a URIxB direct from the vendor. 

Is there a way to download or purchase and SD Card with the PI image?  If not, is there any documentation on the required installation/configuration for Asterisk and whatever else is required?

Thanks,

Matt

7 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, Skinnerfam95 said:

Hi, I'm sorry if I haven't found these details if they are out there.  I'm guessing that the "Sold Out" status of the link bundle has to do with PI shortages.

I would like to buy the RT97S and start using the repeater.  The Link Bundle/DIY option is less important-- but I do want to get it as soon a practical.

I already have my own PI and I can buy a URIxB direct from the vendor. 

Is there a way to download or purchase and SD Card with the PI image?  If not, is there any documentation on the required installation/configuration for Asterisk and whatever else is required?

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

No knowledge on the configuration side, but I was able to find this in the mygmrs store, which may be what you're after.

https://shop.mygmrs.com/collections/repeater-accessories/products/sandisk-32gb-high-endurance-microsd-card-mygmrs-network

The out of stock on the linking bundle is likely due to the global shortage of Raspberry Pi's - most places are out of stock on those for months. I normally keep a stack of them at home for linking projects on the southwest network, but I've had no luck getting them either short of buying the overpriced canakit starter kits.

If you have one laying around and get the USB interface direct; as wayoverthere mentioned, you can grab the myGMRS SD card preconfigured and ready to go from the store.

Of course you can spin it up on other hardware too - but that requires you're well versed in the workings of Asterisk and app_rpt. Switching AllStar or HamVoIP over to use myGMRS registration server and node list isn't terribly difficult but does need you to know what you're doing.

Edited by JeepCrawler98

We do carry the URIxB's separately on our store:  https://shop.mygmrs.com/products/dmk-engineering-urixb?_pos=1&_sid=9be424275&_ss=r

You're right, the supply of the Raspberry Pi 3B+'s is really slim right now. There's lots of price gouging going on from any vendors who still have stock of them. 

For anyone who has the Pi 3, you can get the software configured for you by purchasing an SD Card from us, or you can download the image and run the configuration script yourself if you know your way around Linux.

21 hours ago, rdunajewski said:

You're right, the supply of the Raspberry Pi 3B+'s is really slim right now. There's lots of price gouging going on from any vendors who still have stock of them. 

Just curious:

"Price Gouging" is a rather pejorative term.  

Do you perhaps mean "over-pricing" as in the shortage of resupply has artificially caused the retail price to increase?

Let's say for example, that your online store had a limited inventory of Raspberry Pi 3Bs.

You know that the cost to replace them will be higher than what you paid to originally acquire them (if you can even find a supply of replacements), so do you sell them at their previous lower prices, or do you sell them for their new higher market price?

Remember, we are not talking about the price of milk or even insulin; we are talking about Raspberry Pi 3Bs.

19 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

Just curious:

Do you perhaps mean "over-pricing" as in the shortage of resupply has artificially caused the retail price to increase?

Let's say for example, that your online store had a limited inventory of Raspberry Pi 3Bs.

You know that the cost to replace them will be higher than what you paid to originally acquire them (if you can even find a supply of replacements), so do you sell them at their previous lower prices, or do you sell them for their new higher market price?

Remember, we are not talking about the price of milk or even insulin; we are talking about Raspberry Pi 3Bs.

Raspberry pi’s are like milk to me

2 hours ago, MichaelLAX said:

Just curious:

Over pricing is a politically correct way of stating price gouging. While demand and supply are factors in setting prices for merchandise inflating the selling price on items in stock by significant amounts due to availability fits into the realm of price gouging better than over pricing such as adding a premium to the established purchase prices.

Price is a signal to the marketplace which indicates opportunity for those who are best able to meet the demand.  If you're a consumer, you always have the choice to walk away from an over-priced product. If you claim that you "NEED" this product - then why did you not purchase more of it while the supply was available at a price that you could afford? After all, that's what the Warehouse did - and that's why they actually have a supply. If you wish to punish those with foresight to purchase products in advance of need - then you deserve to end up in a country full of empty shelves.

If you don't like the price, don't buy it. That's what sensible people do. People in a panic will always pay $50 for a snow shovel that they could have bought for $10 the week before the storm hit. Then they'll try to blame someone else for their lack of planning.