Midland MXT275 power cable?

dhardin53

Question

MXT275 running a direct line to battery in the SUV. any one know if there is a Molex type connector to match the power cord connection pig tail for this radio?

One can see one connector is round the the other is square. The square pin is 4.09 mm wide. Looking on line have found nothing to work, It appears i will have to change out all the ends so if i can use the micomoble with the stock 12v plug (for times if I transfer to another vehicle), and use my direct 12v feed from my battery when in my SUV using the direct power feed line. 

I can get 5 sets Molex 2 pin from amazon (cheaper than butchering a Midland cord for just the end plug) . change all then ends for a servable working platform. But would be nice to have other standard connectors for any easy changeout  in the future.

20211204_174027.jpg

9 answers to this question

WoW, thanks so much. countless hours in the past 3 days with no luck. This looks very darn closes.  Now i will try to get some dimensions of this Tamiya (mini) plug with a 14awg pig-tail wire. eather way I will get several. 

Just hated to morphydite the ends, now i can run power and use factory ends so to use other Midland radios. 

My SUV cigarette lighter output was effecting radio out-put. SUV Antenna out put was around 10 watts. I wires car it was closer to 14 wats. So it had to be under wire size within the SUV. 

Truth be told this plug (if it works) is rated for use on a 7.2 v 3600 mAh battery. It is under rated to the MXT 275.

Thanks again. wayoverthere and  I love MyGMRS.com

Amazon.com- 4Pairs Tamiya Mini Tamiya Plug Male Female Connector Adapter Cable 14awg 15cm for RC Car Lipo Battery Airsoft Gun.url

47 minutes ago, dhardin53 said:

What your opinion of a real antenna?

Just for info - I have tested and used dozens of antennas, and the one I now use on my Jeep is the Midland MXT26A GMRS antenna.  It has 6db gain, and right out of the bag it had a near-perfect 1.1:1 SWR so no cutting was required.

And, oh yah, it transmits just fine

54 minutes ago, dhardin53 said:

What your opinion of a real antenna?

I think he just means something other than the one it comes with.  Midland's 6db antenna isn't a bad choice, though i've seen a few recent reports of bad ones from amazon, either out of tune or cut, though those may have been returns that were resold.

realistically, pretty much any antenna tuned to cover 460-470 mhz, or 450-470mhz (more common), single band or dual band is going to be solid.  i ran a browning 5/8 over 5/8 for awhile (tuned for 410-490), and it was pretty much perfect (1.1:1 through the band) on a mag mount on my truck.  the beauty of nmo mounts is there's a ton of options for antennas and you can swap at will.

You mean like the one I am using? 

Sorry i don't mean to deceive anyone.

One buy one am going through my installation for a set up that is optimal performance and longevity. I say do it right once and save the frustration to do it over later. Two install guidelines. 1, this will more than likely not be the last/only radio for this my primary mode of transportation. 2. As well this SUV will be upgraded in 3  or 4 more years.

I know 3 watts might not make that much difference in the big picture. But it cant hurt and one will not know unless you try. As I said 3 watts difference in my wires Toyota to my SUV both using 12v dash lights plug. Good chance going direct i could get close to the radios advertised output of 15 watts. Now it's out-put is 10.1 watts. I will update later and see any increase. 

20211205_123324.jpg

17 minutes ago, dhardin53 said:

You mean like the one I am using? 

Sorry i don't mean to deceive anyone.

One buy one am going through my installation for a set up that is optimal performance and longevity. I say do it right once and save the frustration to do it over later. Two install guidelines. 1, this will more than likely not be the last/only radio for this my primary mode of transportation. 2. As well this SUV will be upgraded in 3  or 4 more years..

There you go ? sometimes we'll just cover basic upgrades without knowing what you've already covered...if you're already ahead of the suggestions, even better.

4 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

There you go ? sometimes we'll just cover basic upgrades without knowing what you've already covered...if you're already ahead of the suggestions, even better.

I know this form a communication is fraught with miss communication and understandings. Too many time putting good people at odds. Sill the benefits can and should out way the issues that come up. 

Thaks all. we are all in the boat together.