help identify this antenna

dhardin53

Question

12 inch tall, top of the mag mount to top of antenna, RG59 to a TNC connector. The logo at the base looks like a whale. I'm guessing I got this when I did some work for the guy that gave it to me. I help changed out his business band system?

Just not sure, like to know what frequency it is designed for. 

Thanks in advances. 

20211231_131829.jpg

20211231_131909.jpg

7 answers to this question

That looks a lot like the many "cellular" style antennas, that often work well around 806-896MHz, or a harmonic of that 403-448MHz....however, measure that antenna and do the math, and use a wattmeter to check SWR before transmitting too long with it, you do not want to damage a radio by guessing and being off too much with high SWR.

I have a box of those that came with many different emblems molded into the bottom, but none with that particular branding. Larsen and Laird look the closest though, you might be able to browse Tessco's website and find a match. They were a combination of UHF (450MHz) and cellular (800MHz) antennas or use with Wilson cellular amplifiers around 2005, before the regulations changed on cell phone amplifier usage. 

Be sure to update us if you find out for sure what that is.

Thank you, yes my web search looked a lot like the Wilson cell boosters. What little I know the communication componiee that he was working with had several issues and guess this antenna was something close but in all his service and radio work performance was poor. I think the guy used what ever he had to keep the acount. This is at least 10 to 12 years old. I can't see the guy i got i from was using Wilson cell boosters at the time.  The TNC connector leads me think Cell booster.  

Definately a Cell Phone antenna. Converted many in the past to VHF and UHF. There were 2 models. One had a 6/32 thread on the whip/stud and the other was 1/4-20. It would allow a standard ASP stud to screw on and then an ASP whip. By the time you replace the TNC and find the whip and stud its probably cheaper to buy a new NMO Mag mount. 

Looks like mystery solved then. It could still be used if you wish to monitor 800MHz public safety radio. I still keep and use some old cellular band antennas for that purpose, but now often using a USB stick receiver, or one of my Realistic Pro-2004/5/6 scanners. However, I also tend to use a lot of NMO antennas, as they get thrown out often at work, once a forklift driver bends one too far, or parts get corroded. It has been deemed too expensive to repair (hourly rate of technician pay vs. replacement), and replaced with a new antenna more often than I like. Glad you found out what it went to. 

I have plenty of PL259 connectors around, the coax is good the rubber on the bottom of the mag mount is a bit crack and ages.  Liquid rubber sealant might fix that. Then cut me up some old stainless antenna for a whip and tuned. Then fabricate some brass 1/4 20 bolt and drill a hole for the steel and braze them together. I have a better than 80% change of repurpose this.  I just got a Browning 3db mag mount for the wife's car. (Not real happy with the first test run with it), hoping to get the KG935G with a roof top. This little Cell-booster might work for other road trips use.

I need some winter project's to keep busy, The wife just got out of hospital so I need to be close to home for a good while.