GMRS talking to FRS...and other GMRS--Ch 15-22 bandwidth selection

fremont

Question

In programming both my KG935G and mobile (TK-8180), I'm trying to decide between narrow or wide--specifically with Ch 15-22.  A lot of this revolves around outdoor recreation situations wherein a few of us have GMRS but most have FRS.  We tend to set all radios within Ch 15-22 so our GMRS mobiles can be used full power to talk to FRS.  So, 1-14 is set on narrow (just in case).  Repeater channels are always wide.  But, what is best within  Ch 15-22 where our GMRS (both HT and mobile) are used to communicate with both FRS and GMRS?  Between the two types of radios, it's most critical that we can hear and be heard from the FRS (for example, a situation where a FRS user is lost)--does that mean a narrow setting is best for Ch 15-22?  THANKS

9 answers to this question

44 minutes ago, fremont said:

it's most critical that we can hear and be heard from the FRS

In this case answer is clear: narrow band. Look from this angle, FRS radios will still hear your high-power mobiles, narrow or wide, but your mobile will hear FRS better when you program it to narrow band.

5 hours ago, fremont said:

In programming both my KG935G and mobile (TK-8180), I'm trying to decide between narrow or wide--specifically with Ch 15-22.  A lot of this revolves around outdoor recreation situations wherein a few of us have GMRS but most have FRS.  We tend to set all radios within Ch 15-22 so our GMRS mobiles can be used full power to talk to FRS.  So, 1-14 is set on narrow (just in case).  Repeater channels are always wide.  But, what is best within  Ch 15-22 where our GMRS (both HT and mobile) are used to communicate with both FRS and GMRS?  Between the two types of radios, it's most critical that we can hear and be heard from the FRS (for example, a situation where a FRS user is lost)--does that mean a narrow setting is best for Ch 15-22?  THANKS

This is why with my Kenwood commercial radios I have two zones, banks, one where all the channels are wide band for GMRS and the other for narrow band for FRS. That was the simple solution for me. If you can’t do this with the popular 805’s, 905’s or 935’s and various GMRS specific mobiles maybe it’s time to look at a good clean commercial radio from Motorola, Kenwood, Icom etc. that has the ability to do it.

The radio I frequently carry around for Ham and GMRS/FRS is the TK-3170. I have 6 to 7 zones of channels programmed in it depending on what service I’m operating under and bandwidth.

https://pdfs.kenwoodproducts.com/9/TK-2170&3170Brochure.pdf

On the 8180, does it program with "zones"? If so, why not have a normal set of wideband channels, then do another zone of narrowband channels?

On the 935, couldn't you do another set of narrow channels in addition to the wide channels, and perhaps exclude them from your normal scanning?

Edit: looks like @Lscottand I were thinking along the same line at the same time.

Edited by wayoverthere

4 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

On the 8180, does it program with "zones"? If so, why not have a normal set of wideband channels, then do another zone of narrowband channels?

On the 935, couldn't you do another set of narrow channels in addition to the wide channels, and perhaps exclude them from your normal scanning?

Edit: looks like @Lscottand I were thinking along the same line at the same time.

I think he’s stuck with the 8180. I just looked for the specifications.

https://pdfs.kenwoodproducts.com/28/TK-7180&8180MPTBrochure.pdf

15 minutes ago, Lscott said:

I think he’s stuck with the 8180. I just looked for the specifications.

https://pdfs.kenwoodproducts.com/28/TK-7180&8180MPTBrochure.pdf

I wonder how it defines a "network", given it mentions capacity for 8 networks, and let's you define the wide/narrow on a per-network basis

25 minutes ago, fremont said:

Great suggestion on the zones (N and W).  I simply hadn't thought of that.  Same goes for my HT.

The listed specs are for the TK-8180H which I don't have; I have the standard 8180.  Power maxs out at 30w.  Specs are here.

Looks like you have the non MPT model. MTP is a trunking format. The specifications you linked to mentions zones so you might be in luck after all.

@fremont on your 935 you can readily create separate memory channels that hold narrow-band versions of all frequencies. If you name the channels FRS-01 through FRS-22 that should be clearly identifiable for you. Your channels named with GMRS prefix would be wide-band, FRS prefix would be narrow-band. As far as your mobile unit, I would image you could do the same, but I am leaving that to those familiar with your particular model.

Michael
WRHS965
KE8PLM