AT-779UV Mode choice

slapshot2213

Question

7 answers to this question

6 hours ago, Sshannon said:

Thanks!  Looking at the page for it on Amazon, it appeared to be an amateur radio, but reading the reviews make it clear that it's GMRS.  

https://www.amazon.com/AnyTone-Mobile-AT-779UV-Transceiver-Scanning-Receiver/dp/B08PF9QTLH

You are correct: the Amazon page and reviews are full of misleading and outdated information. 

I purchased mine for $99 from Let'sGetReady with free shipping and a $20 dual band mag-mount antenna for my car (plus a $25 cup-holder mount from Amazon).

I now have a 2nd unit in my shack connected to my rooftop Comet tribander and it outperforms my Yaesu FT-857d on both 2 meters and 70 cms. 

2C168AD7-4354-43B9-80AC-0AA351E5F79D.jpeg

ED3946CF-CD4F-452F-8151-B7BF1D0D96BC.jpeg

FCB51971-0EEB-4745-9DEF-9A1CD6963A67.jpeg

no dumb questions; only dumb answers!

I’m on my iPhone right now, but look to my comments on how to open it up to transmit on 2 meters/70 cms, probably listed in a thread entitled “Radioddity DB20-G” the exact clone. 

Let me know if you can’t find them

The upper end of coverage on the UHF band for the AT-779UV is 450 MHz, which is too low for use on the GMRS band.  Some radios can be hacked to allow greater coverage.  That's technically against the rules/regulations of the FCC, but you can easily find references to a lot of people who do it.  

GMRS channels are centered around 462 and 467 MHz.

Edit:  After staring at the description of this radio longer, I'm not sure whether it's a dual band amateur radio that can be opened up to be a GMRS transciever or a GMRS transciever that can be opened up to operate as a ham radio.

1 hour ago, slapshot2213 said:

Probably a dumb question, but....  I have both a Ham license and GMRS license. Can I use the AT-779UV for both? What mode do I set the radio to?  Thanks.

The radio will work for both bands. I believe you can select the mode by holding down the V/M button as you power on the radio.

Keep in mind, however, the Part 95e certification of the radio is for its use on the GMRS band. When you change the mode, and alter the configuration of the radio to allow it to transmit outside of the GMRS band, you negate the Part 95e certification. Some people operate the radio in the mode that allows it to transmit on both the ham and GMRS bands so they don't need to have two different radios.

16 minutes ago, Sshannon said:

The upper end of coverage on the UHF band for the AT-779UV is 450 MHz, which is too low for use on the GMRS band.  Some radios can be hacked to allow greater coverage.  That's technically against the rules/regulations of the FCC, but you can easily find references to a lot of people who do it.  

GMRS channels are centered around 462 and 467 MHz.

It comes as an GMRS radio out of the box; at least here in the US. 

Update: It is a Part 95e certified GMRS radio, right out of the box. 

11 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

It comes as an GMRS radio out of the box; at least here in the US. 

Thanks!  Looking at the page for it on Amazon, it appeared to be an amateur radio, but reading the reviews make it clear that it's GMRS.  

https://www.amazon.com/AnyTone-Mobile-AT-779UV-Transceiver-Scanning-Receiver/dp/B08PF9QTLH