Can someone help me with this?

GMRSRADIO865

Question

I have recently bought this cigarette lighter power plug for my new Wouxun KG1000 radio. I was told, using the car battery is a better option, but do not know where I want to mount it,

and I want to be able to remove it quickly or be able to use it in another vehicle. I have provided a link, to the cigarette lighter.

My question is: Once you put the wires in from the radio to the cigarette lighter... are you supposed to solder them... or do you simply crimp the down with pliers?

Obviously, I am not electronics minded, so I thought I would ask for help. I have never seen a cigarette lighter plug like this. I don't want too inadvertently damage my new radio.

Thank-you, to all of you. Any and all responses are appreciated.

Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094V6VS7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

8 answers to this question

2 hours ago, WRPE865 said:

I have recently bought this cigarette lighter power plug for my new Wouxun KG1000 radio. I was told, using the car battery is a better option, but do not know where I want to mount it,

and I want to be able to remove it quickly or be able to use it in another vehicle. I have provided a link, to the cigarette lighter.

My question is: Once you put the wires in from the radio to the cigarette lighter... are you supposed to solder them... or do you simply crimp the down with pliers?

Obviously, I am not electronics minded, so I thought I would ask for help. I have never seen a cigarette lighter plug like this. I don't want too inadvertently damage my new radio.

Thank-you, to all of you. Any and all responses are appreciated.

Here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094V6VS7C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

According to the Amazon listing, those plugs are terminated with female bullet connectors.

If you want to use those connectors, you'll need male bullet connectors appropriate for the size of the conductors in the power cable for the radio. You would then need to crimp the male bullet connectors to the stripped ends of the power cable leads.

Here is a link to sets of bullet connectors. This listing has a video showing how they work.

Shown below is a picture of what they look like when separated, partially inserted, and fully inserted:

image.thumb.png.9ccf715a394da682b804e04601a0af4e.png

An automotive store near you may have the connectors to match with the ends on the cigarette lighter plug you bought.  They’re a friction fit.

Or, just a little lower on the Amazon page you referenced was a similar power plug that came with the matching crimp connectors: https://www.amazon.com/Pack-Fused-Replacement-Cigarette-Lighter/dp/B097HV2G6T/ref=pd_sbs_2/132-2187296-8026262?pd_rd_w=JsZGS&pf_rd_p=23e9c531-a4f3-4198-b456-2bff73f4055a&pf_rd_r=N3WY1JRK24AQBSRVAVKM&pd_rd_r=6af19e81-d41b-4444-ad85-7bd9ad854f76&pd_rd_wg=vnbyX&pd_rd_i=B097HV2G6T&psc=1

Of course you would need a crimper.  

Just FYI, in case you were not already aware -IF you are already aware, then disregard:

Transmitting on the KG1000G at high power while connected through a lighter-plug will likely pop the lighter fuse AND/OR melt the lighter plug.   I'm not just playing internet-expert and regurgitating internet lore I have seen both occur with my own two eyeballs and the KG1000G user-manual also says pretty much the same thing.

Keep it at low/medium, and this will likely not occur.

source: my eyeballs and the product user manual

Great advice given for different types of splice connectors. My only input is to buy a tool that will give you a better crimp than a standard pair of pliers. 

The cheap version, available at Home Depot (where you can also get the butt style and male/female splices in the electrical section) is at this link https://www.homedepot.com/p/Commercial-Electric-9-3-4-in-Crimping-Tool-and-Cutter-CE180409/300715141

However, if you think you will be doing more of this, connecting a new car stereo, adding more GMRS gear to your shack, I would recommend the Klein Tools version of the tool, often copied but usually not to the same quality standards at this link https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-Crimping-and-Cutting-Tool-for-Connectors-1005SEN/100352095

CE crimper.JPG

Klein crimper.JPG

Boy, am I glad that I asked for help. I went to O'Reilly Auto Parts store this morning. I purchased a small box of DORMAN 5/32" Male Bullet Terminals 16 Gauge-14CAL.

Product #85433. I put them on at the store counter. The clerk let me use their crimper, because I didn't yet want to buy one. I had to cut a bit of the exposed wire off

since they were a bit too long. Anyway, I was able to put the terminals on, and it looks good, and seemed to fit in the cigarette lighter wires fine.

Now, I am afraid to try it. I thought, I would ask you fine folks, if I bought the right Male Bullet Terminals?

I called, a Car Toys business here in town to ask what they would charge me to install it... he quoted me ~$300.00- but I would have to bring all the pieces down for him to

give me an exact quote. Since I am not sure where I want to install this radio, I am not sure what to do now. I do want to be able to take it in and out of my Tacoma easily

mainly for theft reasons.

Thank-you, all for your time and effort and tremendously great responses. All of you were VERY helpful. I really do appreciate it!   I can't wait to use this new radio, but

I don't want to fry anything. Cigarette lighter plug or radio.

I am afraid it might be back, to the old drawing board again.

There are reasons using the cigarette light socket for radio power is not recommended, especially higher power radios.

1.) A lighter socket connection is pretty poor under the best conditions.
2.) In many late model vehicles, the lighter socket may (may) not have enough current capacity to operate that radio at full power.

There are a lot of quick disconnect solutions that would allow you to remove the radio quickly. Anderson 'Power Poles" come to mind and a lot of power supplies these days now come with them by default.

Ironically, crimping a connector (assuming it's done properly), is supposedly now the preferred method over soldering, especially on connectors that are going to be routinely connected and disconnected and, they are (in theory) idiot proof. 

The explanations for crimping I have seen suggest that, where a wire and connector are soldered, the wire loses flexibility and will eventually break,  So again, the (apparent) suggested method is to crimp.

There is no method cast in stone, any of what has already been suggested should work.  Just be aware that on high power that radio is going to want some current.

Nice choice of radio BTW, enjoy!

4 hours ago, WRPE865 said:

Now, I am afraid to try it. I thought, I would ask you fine folks, if I bought the right Male Bullet Terminals?

Try plugging the male end into the female end - black wire to black wire, and red wire to red wire.

If the plug seats fully and the bare metal on the connector is shrouded by the insulation, then you should be fine.

As others have said, it is not advisable to transmit on high power if you're using the lighter socket. You should be fine if transmitting on the low or (either) medium setting.

This should allow you to at least try out the radio in your vehicle, and even move it around if needed to find the "sweet spot" where it will work best for you. You can consider more permanent wiring options once you determine where you want the radio to end up.