Superheterodyne vs wattage

WRPH745

I am new to GMRS and looking to get my next radio. I started with a pair of UV-5Gs to see if I like the hobby. I can connect fine to our local repeater. I can receive fine in or out of the house. I have to be outside to transmit 

I want to upgrade my system

I am looking to get an Ed Fong antenna and a better radio.

I am looking to spend about $200 for the radio. 

I keep hearing that transceiver with Superheterodyne receiver is the way to go. At my price point there are radios that are 5 watts with a Superheterodyne receiver or I can get a nice radio with higher wattage but a without a Superheterodyne receiver. 

Any suggestions on which way to go?

Thanks in advance

I would assume an EdFong antenna means some sort of base radio.

Superheterodyne can be poorly designed too, just be aware of that.

My recommendation for radio goes for the Vertex Standard VX-4207, which will not intermod, nor desense, and its part 95. @wayovertherehas experience using that radio. 

For antenna I would go with this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/133810193897?epid=1941709490&hash=item1f27b585e9:g:Y5EAAOSwLCdgUyaI, which you can later upgrade to a 2-bay or 4-bay configuration for increased gain.

G.

Welcome to the forum!  But watch out for "some people" that will try to grossly over-complicate things when answering even the most simple of questions in sad attempts to show you how smart they think they are.

Superhet receivers are generally "better" than cheap SOC type radios - but most people would not notice any difference.. I would worry more about features/what the radio can do more than the receiver type, but thats just me.

On wattage, unless you are looking at a huge difference like 25W vs 5W, you aren't going to see much difference in range - for example, the only thing you would notice on an 8W radio vs a 5W radio, is that the battery will go dead faster on the 8W.

For the antenna, almost anything will work better than the rubber ducky on your 5Gs.

You didnt say if you wanted to upgrade to another HT or a base/mobile type radio - if you post what you're considering we can give some feedback on the exact model.

Here is my idea.

I want a good radio for the money that can fit multiple roles till I get dedicated radios.

My thought is if I get a ht. I would get a model that supports a battery eliminator, external mic, and antenna. With the idea that if I am in the house I would plug in the battery eliminator, external mic, and external antenna. I would use the same idea with the car. Each situation would have a dedicated antenna.

If I get a mobile, I  will install it in a way that I could  swap it between the car and the house. If I need a portable, I would use a battery pack.

Radios I have been looking at 

BTECH Mobile GMRS-50X1 50 Watt GMRS.  

KG-XS20G 

Wouxun KG-UV9G PRO 

KG-916 GMRS 

Thanks

3 hours ago, WRPH745 said:

I am new to GMRS and looking to get my next radio. I started with a pair of UV-5Gs to see if I like the hobby. I can connect fine to our local repeater. I can receive fine in or out of the house. I have to be outside to transmit 

I want to upgrade my system

I am looking to get an Ed Fong antenna and a better radio.

I am looking to spend about $200 for the radio. 

I keep hearing that transceiver with Superheterodyne receiver is the way to go. At my price point there are radios that are 5 watts with a Superheterodyne receiver or I can get a nice radio with higher wattage but a without a Superheterodyne receiver. 

Any suggestions on which way to go?

Thanks in advance

FOR A HT THE KG-9355G AND MOBILE/BASE DB-20G OR DB-RG  WITTH ANTENA PRETUNED FOR GMRS ON A MAG MOUNT

18 minutes ago, WRPH745 said:

Radios I have been looking at 

BTECH Mobile GMRS-50X1 50 Watt GMRS.  

KG-XS20G 

Wouxun KG-UV9G PRO 

KG-916 GMRS 

I own and have used every one of those radios... All are great radios - Except for the 50X1 - Scratch that one off your list. Its overpriced and VERY limited in its features and in my OPINION, it is not worth the price - and you will never actually get 50W out of it.

The XS20G is a great (very) little radio.

The UV9G Pro is a great radio - but also very complicated.. Same with the 916 (I have one, it will be a long time before you can get one)- But if all the pre-programmed SHTF stuff is what you want/need, then either is a great choice..

I would recommend also considering the KG-905G OR the KG-935G.  The 905G is SUPER simple.. the 935G is a little more complex/does a little more, but IMO, still easier than the UV9G or 916.

If you are comfortable using a Windows PC then I'd consider a used Kenwood tk-880 or tk-8180. They can be found on ebay and often on sites like used-radios.com. They can program your radio with the GMRS standard channels so you can get started right away. The programming software (CPS) is available free online. You can buy the cable on ebay from bluemax49ers. The radios are built like a tank, so moving them from car-to-car-to-house would present less of an issue. You can buy multiple brackets and power cables so you unhook power and antenna, unscrew the mount and off you go.

This was my plan until I got my Technician ham license and went to Anytone at-778UV which does 2M, 70CM and GMRS transmit and receive. I bought my tk-8180h (high power) from used-radios.com and had them program it. worked right out of the box.

JG

If you’re open to buying used commercial radios there are some very goods ones to pick from.

My favorite portable is the TK-3170. It will likely do everything you want and some that the cheaper Chinese radios can’t. You can buy them for reasonable prices if you shop around.

https://pdfs.kenwoodproducts.com/9/TK-2170&3170Brochure.pdf

For someone new to GMRS, I always recommend staying away from non-GMRS radios (ie commercial radios), until you've learned the ropes.. Remember the warning on my earlier reply about "some people" ?

But, its good to know all options and then make the choice thats best for you.

On 2/11/2022 at 6:20 PM, OffRoaderX said:

I own and have used every one of those radios... All are great radios - Except for the 50X1 - Scratch that one off your list. Its overpriced and VERY limited in its features and in my OPINION, it is not worth the price - and you will never actually get 50W out of it.

The XS20G is a great (very) little radio.

The UV9G Pro is a great radio - but also very complicated.. Same with the 916 (I have one, it will be a long time before you can get one)- But if all the pre-programmed SHTF stuff is what you want/need, then either is a great choice..

I would recommend also considering the KG-905G OR the KG-935G.  The 905G is SUPER simple.. the 935G is a little more complex/does a little more, but IMO, still easier than the UV9G or 916.

Will second skipping the btech. Cannot program more tx channels in mine, and it's started losing power on high, at around 2 years old and minimal transmit time (maybe 2-3 hours total tx time spread over that timeframe, it mostly just monitors). Starts at 45 watts, and starts dropping almost immediately, and doesn't stabilize till 25 watts...another member mentioned going through 2 with similar issues. It was a good proposition compared to Midland, but the market had grown noticeable since then.

On 2/11/2022 at 7:25 PM, jgillaspy said:

If you are comfortable using a Windows PC then I'd consider a used Kenwood tk-880 or tk-8180. They can be found on ebay and often on sites like used-radios.com. They can program your radio with the GMRS standard channels so you can get started right away. The programming software (CPS) is available free online. You can buy the cable on ebay from bluemax49ers. The radios are built like a tank, so moving them from car-to-car-to-house would present less of an issue. You can buy multiple brackets and power cables so you unhook power and antenna, unscrew the mount and off you go.

This was my plan until I got my Technician ham license and went to Anytone at-778UV which does 2M, 70CM and GMRS transmit and receive. I bought my tk-8180h (high power) from used-radios.com and had them program it. worked right out of the box.

JG

Will second bluemax49ers, he's had all of my vertex handhelds (vx, vx-p, and evx) covered with no issues, though he was out of stock on the cable for the vx4207 mobile, which antenna farm had (along with the appropriate software).

On 2/11/2022 at 7:41 PM, OffRoaderX said:

For someone new to GMRS, I always recommend staying away from non-GMRS radios (ie commercial radios), until you've learned the ropes.. Remember the warning on my earlier reply about "some people" ?

But, its good to know all options and then make the choice thats best for you.

Imo, a ham coming over to gmrs to get the family involved will probably be fine grabbing something commercial and not being TOO out of their depth. I'm 100% on board with starting with something simpler for someone new to radio, though. Can speak from experience that the wouxun kg805g is dead simple, to where you could hand it to grandma that's never used a radio and she'd be fine.

I'll probably have some thoughts on the anytone 779uv in the future...finally gave in and grabbed one, though I'm in between throwing it in the truck for something gmrs approved with more flexibility than the mxt115, or unlocking it for a cheap ham unit for the beater car/throwing in rentals when traveling. Should be here Saturday.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I am taking the test for my Technician license in 2 weeks. So old 70 cm band radios and dual band radios that go up to 480MHz are ok to recommend. 

When I travel from Indiana to Iowa I hit two repeaters on the same channel but different tones. So it would be nice to have a radio that will let me store different repeater configs in memory.

Thanks again

Now that you mentioned the T-word:

Radioddity DB-20G a/k/a Anytone AT-779UV

$99-$109

20 watts 

GMRS and opens easily to Ham 2 meters and 70cms

cigarette lighter plug

comes with USB programming cable

I have one in my EV with a $20 mag mount and $35 cup-mount and another in the shack as it outperforms my Yaesu FT-857d on 2 meters and 70 cms. 

With my rooftop Comet tri-bander, I can hit repeaters up to 90 miles away (Double Mt) and simplex 45 miles away, sometimes more  

5D200B2F-635A-4C34-B869-90B27B3A59F2.jpeg

Nobody has asked the area where you live or where you plan to use the radio.

A properly designed and functioning Superheterodyne receiver circuit will out-perform a Direct Conversion (the typical inexpensive Radio on a Chip design) receiver in areas of high RF and competing signals. If you live out in the sticks, you would probably never notice the difference. A Direct Conversion receiver does tend to be a bit more sensitive - but isn't nearly as selective.

I'm a fan of using surplus Commercial Radios, but then again, I'm not spending your money. I've also got most of the software, and plenty of experience programming my own stuff. Most of the radios I use for GMRS cost me less than $50 - used.

Is Ed Fong still selling his antennas?  I haven't seen his stuff on Ebay since Covid hit.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.  It is greatly appreciated.

Yes, I live in South Bend, IN in the middle of town so I am in an urban area.  I use Elkhart 550 as a repeater.  Elkhart 550 is part of the Nationwide hub.  Currently, going through that hub is almost all my GMRS use.

I am a Linux user so programming either has to be done through Chirp or on the radio. I know that rules out several good options. Most of the radios discussed do not have Chirp support yet so I want a radio that has a keypad for programming. I found the Baofeng UV-5G fairly intuitive to program just time consuming.  So a radio that can be programmed via the keypad on the radio is a plus.  Yes, I am both a Geek and a Nerd, so all that messy keypad programming that people find difficult I think is fun.

So, I am currently leaning towards the KG-935G or the KG-XS20G. It looks like everyone thought both radios were good radios, so I don't think I can go wrong with either.  I just need to decide between a handheld or a mobile.

If anyone has any input which would be better feel free to chime in. 

Again with my UV-5G I have great reception anywhere in the house and around town.  The problem is transmission, I can only transmit outside and be heard.  Everything I heard about the Baofengs is that they just don't work well with other antennas. The receivers get overloaded.  One of the main reasons I am looking for a different radio.  I want to be able to transmit from inside the house using an external antenna.

Thanks again.

50 minutes ago, WRPH745 said:

I am a Linux user so programming either has to be done through Chirp or on the radio. I know that rules out several good options. Most of the radios discussed do not have Chirp support yet so I want a radio that has a keypad for programming. I found the Baofeng UV-5G fairly intuitive to program just time consuming.

The Baofeng UV-5G can be programmed with Chirp, using the UV-5G/UV-5X GMRS profile under the Radioddity brand, not the Baofeng brand.

43 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

I think @WyoJoesuccessfully runs Windows in his Linux machine, so maybe he will “chirp” in on helping you with that option, too.  

I run Linux Mint 20.3 Mate 64 bit edition. I have successfully used the CPS software for a variety of radios running on Linux using WINE. The biggest issue to sort out was the COM port designation, but once resolved, the programs have mostly worked. There are a couple of CPS applications that have not worked for me, however. There are a few small issues (mostly pertaining to fonts) that I've encountered but most things have worked reasonably well.

As for mobile radios, I will also recommend the Anytone AT-779UV, just as MichaelLAX recommended. It's a decent 20W mobile GMRS radio, but can be opened up for use on 2M and 70cm ham bands, too. It cannot be programmed with Chirp yet (but hopefully will be supported one day), but can be programmed with the factory CPS software, even running in WINE on Linux. It's sometimes a little glitchy, and overwrites some of the frequency data I've entered, but as long as I double check before uploading to the radio, I can fix it if necessary.

For about $100, you get a very compact (5"w x 1.5"h x 4"d), 500 channel radio with a small but very readable display. This radio is also sold as the Radioddity DB20-G and Retevis RA-25. It costs around $100, though it can be found as cheap as about $94 from Retevis (as of today), or up to $120 from Radioddity.

20 minutes ago, wayoverthere said:

Don't know about the other versions of wouxun's software, but I've used the CPS for the 805g in Linux mint mate via Wine successfully.

I don't remember how much I've used either of them, since it's been a while for either one, but the KG-1000G and KG-UV9G applications have worked for me in Linux.

I've also had success with CPS applications from Radioddity, Anytone, Ailunce (Retevis), and Vertex running in Linux.