Repeater tones ?

Tazman777

Question

Hello all

Just got my license and im trying to connect to this repeater near me I have permission but im confused on the tone thing. I entered in the tone in to the t-ctcs but once the enter the r-ctcs I can't hear anymore. idk if im entering it in wrong or the wrong place im using a baofeng UV-9G and the tones for the repeater say there  input 271dpl output 073dpl. Any help would be much appreciated.

13 answers to this question

Those tones sound familiar...

My guess is that you have the tones backwards, OR it's actually working the way it is supposed to.. Be sure to enter the 271 on your radio's TX and 073 on your radio's RX.. Note that these are DCS/DPL tones, not CTCSS tones so make sure you are putting them in the right place (consult the manual).

Leave the RX (73) out for troubleshooting.. If you enter the TX (271) and can hit the repeater, then you should be good. When you enter the RX (73) then you should then ONLY hear transmissions from that repeater and nothing else - this is optional.

8 hours ago, OffRoaderX said:

Those tones sound familiar...

My guess is that you have the tones backwards, OR it's actually working the way it is supposed to.. Be sure to enter the 271 on your radio's TX and 073 on your radio's RX.. Note that these are DCS/DPL tones, not CTCSS tones so make sure you are putting them in the right place (consult the manual).

Leave the RX (73) out for troubleshooting.. If you enter the TX (271) and can hit the repeater, then you should be good. When you enter the RX (73) then you should then ONLY hear transmissions from that repeater and nothing else - this is optional.

Yeah I was confused on the whole dpl thing. I got it figured out last last night and am now able to hit the repeater thanks for your help and having the repeater more manual time is definitely needed. 

I’ve the owners manual an it don’t say anything about this.  Now I’m not that familiar with the different items of the 35 or so things while going through them but ever time I try an scan a repeater channel it goes to the frequency’s an I can’t get out without resetting it.  Thanks anyway Tom. 
bob

I'm also new to GMRS and can not get any repeater programmed in chirp to work.  I know its me but I don't know what ToneSQL to set it to.  If the input tone and output tone are the same do I use (TONE) OR (TSQL)?

If someone could help me out that would be great. Below is what I have in chirp and under that are the settings.

Thank you in advance

236482018_ScreenShot2022-03-06at1_29_38PM.thumb.png.c78296c03c8f210f70746fc4796bee12.png

775996479_ScreenShot2022-03-06at1_28_04PM.thumb.png.63c9cd3c42f99088e8afbbd7dd4933ce.png

14 minutes ago, WRPC662 said:

I'm also new to GMRS and can not get any repeater programmed in chirp to work.  I know its me but I don't know what ToneSQL to set it to.  If the input tone and output tone are the same do I use (TONE) OR (TSQL)?

If someone could help me out that would be great. Below is what I have in chirp and under that are the settings.

Thank you in advance

236482018_ScreenShot2022-03-06at1_29_38PM.thumb.png.c78296c03c8f210f70746fc4796bee12.png

775996479_ScreenShot2022-03-06at1_28_04PM.thumb.png.63c9cd3c42f99088e8afbbd7dd4933ce.png

Tsql sets the same time for both tx and rx, based on the tonesql column... Not sure which column you have the tone in with the way that screenshot is cropped (if you have the tx or rx tone input).

Alternately, you could set it to "tone" and just use a tx tone, and see if that gets better results.

2 hours ago, WRPC662 said:

This is what I have now, I just need to know what is the best way to set it up.

Again, thank you so much for all your help.894697642_ScreenShot2022-03-06at2_10_58PM.thumb.png.be889fb2e03cbaf616ec07b315a7e953.png

Glad to help. And yeah, the way it's set SHOULD (from how chirp describes it) send the same tone (141.3) for tx that it uses for tone squelch.

Realistically, a receive tone isnt necessary, whether the repeater uses one or not...think of it as a filter on what signals are allowed in...no tone is no filter, so you hear everything on the channel.

I would start with the tone setting, and set your tx tone (141.3), and confirm it's working that way first. If not, either the settings aren't matching the listing, or it's a range issue.