Retevis RB75 Programming

WRPU949

Question

Does anyone know how to program the Retevis RB75 radios. I purchased 2 of these, the programming cable, and FCC GRMS license and all I have is a glorified (expensive) handheld radio without repeater capability. I have downloaded and installed the software and driver from Retevis website on Windows 8 and even tried Windows 11. Manufacturer stated not compatible with anything above Windows 10 but tried anyway. The software opens but will not connect to radio (COMM3). I get a message that states: "radio connect failed". I have ensured the cable connection is tight. Not sure what to do from here, except maybe request a refund. Any help would be very appreciated. Thank you.

5 answers to this question

This is almost certainly a "Windows Driver issue". You might try deleting the cable driver and letting Windows install its own.. If that doesnt work you're in for a bag of hurt - some people end up buying different cables just so they can get it to work.. Some people never get Windows to work with their cable.

i just purchased two RB75's also and having the same issue.....i will keep trying and follow up here

i have installed 4 different drivers fort the programming cable, i have tried using Chirp as well as the Retevis program software, i have tried Ubuntu and Windows 10 with Chirp, i have tried installing the driver in compatibility mode....i contacted Revetis and followed instructions exactly...both radios are saying Radio Connect Fail...they are sending me a new cable in case it is a faulty cable

OK.  I have good news and bad news.  The good news - I was able to program my RB75's.  The bad - It took 6 months of working with Retevis Support.  Even then I had to BUY a new cable and have them send me a new device driver.  With the new cable and the new driver the radio was programmable from both the Retevis software and chirp.  I tried all the combinations (old cable / new driver, new cable / old driver).  Nothing worked.  I had to use the new cable and the new driver.  Then everything worked as advertised.

All I can say is - don't let them off the hook.  Stick with them even if they take a long time to reply.  

BTW - I have a set of RB19P's.  They work great but don't believe the hype.  I have tried to program them with a normal USB C cable.  No way.  Have to use their cable.  

Not sure Retevis is worth the hassle. 

2 hours ago, WRQT757 said:

Not sure Retevis is worth the hassle. 

It’s not. Retivis is not worth it AT ALL.  I know many people that have had them and they are worse junk than a uv-5r.  I mean really.  I’ve never once had one issue even remotely like this with cheap Chinese radios.  If I were you I would have returned then the same day I got them. 

On 4/7/2024 at 6:02 PM, WRXP381 said:

It’s not. Retivis is not worth it AT ALL.  I know many people that have had them and they are worse junk than a uv-5r.  I mean really.  I’ve never once had one issue even remotely like this with cheap Chinese radios.  If I were you I would have returned then the same day I got them. 

Not sure what your experience is.  I have two Retevis radios within a meter of me right now, and while the RT76P shipped with a fairly serious firmware bug, they fixed that.  My experience with Retevis has been somewhere between generally and overwhelmingly positive…