High Frequency battery charger.

WRPF281

Question

I have a problem with a neighbors Harbor Freight High Frequency battery charger. It is transmitting a signal of interference to my radio. I have removed my antenna and AC power supply. I used an external power supply and still am getting interference. I put 4 mix 31 snap ferrite beads on my power cord next to the radio and still getting interference. I have talked to my neighbor about the problem, it went on deaf ears. Any suggestions on how I should proceed? Thank you.

3 answers to this question

Get the make and model of the Harbor Freight charger noting if it reports it meets FCC approval. Report this information, including photos of the packaging listing FCC certification to the FCC. Pictures of the charger assembly showing a label listing the model information and any certification logos including the country of manufacture. This is the type of report the FCC will investigate. It may end with a citation to Harbor Freight but little else for existing equipment.

Putting ferrite beads on your power cable won't do much in this case (as you've observed). Ask your neighbor if s/he will allow you to put some ferrite toroids on the power cord for their charger.  Start with the AC line close to the charger, and if that's not enough, try on the DC side, too.  It is likely that those cables are acting as antennas.

Also, you may have eliminated your power supply as the cause, but how have you confirmed that this unit is the cause of the problem?