Handheld recommendations….

WRQE264

I’ll apologize, I’m super new. I’ve been lurking for a few months and pulled the trigger on my license. I’d like to humbly ask for a handheld recommendation that may allow me to do the following. 

TX/RX GMRS

RX vhf for monitoring public safety around me/on vacation. I work in Fire/LE and enjoy being nosy to the places we go. My home agency simulcasts some fire and ems on 151 vhf. It would be nice to monitor both.

id like to be able to program groups/banks/zones with the capabilities to scan. That way I can select those specific areas I travel to.

TYT 380 looks like I can do it and keep it in analog mode. Wouxon possibly too.

thanks for your time!

john 

First, welcome to the fun!

Wouxun KG935g is probably the most flexible choice on the list, and according to the comparison chart on BTWR, appears to be the only one of their 3 GMRS HTs that does vhf, and I want to say I've seen something about the ability to do the zones as well

will have to dig a little more on retevis and radioddity to offer suggestions there.

Edited by wayoverthere
clarified & corrected

28 minutes ago, MichaelLAX said:

Does what? Scan?

I cut that sentence off a little too soon....should have said only one that does vhf; according to the chart (and experience with the 805) the 805 and 905 are UHF only. Also missed the zones thing...rushing to complete the post before I needed to clock in for the day.