Today we are learning about Vertex Standard EVX-R70 repeater!

JeremiahBarlow

Question

Ok I have this Vertex Standard EVX-R70 repeater.   The ebay seller tuned the duplexer perfect for me for an extra fee.   It took me a minute to find the correct software for programming it with wideband. (I attached that software for the next fellow that needs it)  You will need a programming cable also.  I purchased mine off ebay, and it works fine.

First Question: I need to know next is what is the setting called .... that keeps the repeater transmitting a few seconds after the HTs have stopped transmitting?   What is this setting called?  Is it called "Group Call Hang Time", or "Private Call Hang Time" ?

Next Question:  Do these repeaters have the ability to automatically repeat on any or all of the GMRS channels if all are in the Zone1 list?

Last Question: (for today at least):  How does this Ethernet port work on these Vertex Standard EVX-R70 repeaters?   I understand networking computers, but this doesn't make sense to me.

1629921591_vertex_build_34_emeaintlwidebandversionforR70.zip

21 answers to this question

The EVX repeater wants to connect as an IP device - even through your USB cable.  You may have some type of conflict with internal addresses vs. the IP address of the repeater itself. Since you cannot change the repeater IP until you actually can read/write the repeater, you are left guessing what address might be conflicting.

The standard IP CPS connection address for an EVX repeater would be: 192.168.10.1

You also need to have open Ports in the 50000 range, with no funking forwarding or firewall blocks on your PC.

There's a guy named Wayne Holmes over in the EU who works for Motorola and has his own personal blog hat dives into Motorola and IP addresses/networking/port issues. He's worth bookmarking, and he has more information, patience and details than you would ever get out of me:

https://cwh050.blogspot.com/2012/10/mototrbo-and-ip.html

https://cwh050.blogspot.com/2013/08/ip-repeater-programming-repeaters.html

Check if the radio's IP address is detected. Launch a command window by selecting Windows -> Start -> Run... and type "cmd" in the dialog box. Then, type "ipconfg" in the command window.

Verify that the connection for the LAN connection associated with your MOTOTRBO device appears in the list.

Verify that this connection has valid values for IP Address and Default Gateway. By default this will be 192.168.10.2 and 192.168.10.1.  In the command prompt, try to ping the device IP Address. For example, type “ping 192.168.10.1”.

First Question: I need to know next is what is the setting called .... that keeps the repeater transmitting a few seconds after the HTs have stopped transmitting?   What is this setting called?  Is it called "Group Call Hang Time", or "Private Call Hang Time" ?

Its none of those.
in General settings call hang time , the last one on the bottom. default is 3 seconds

Next Question:  Do these repeaters have the ability to automatically repeat on any or all of the GMRS channels if all are in the Zone1 list?

yes and no
yes it can repeat on any channel it is programed for but it will only do so if it is in the number 1 slot meaning it can only be on 1 channel at a time. In order to change it it must be reprogrammed.

Last Question: (for today at least):  How does this Ethernet port work on these Vertex Standard EVX-R70 repeaters?   I understand networking computers, but this doesn't make sense to me.

this will not work in analog mode. it is built off the M trbo software and was designed to link DMR machines as a network.

JE

my professional and personal machines are mostly set to 2 seconds in real time depending on brand and if there is an "over" beep. I never saw a reason for a 6 or 7 second hang time. Most leave it at the default setting.

You may also want to look at the time out timer. Default is 60 second IIRC. Again most of mine are set to 3 minutes.

Jeremiah, Thanks for asking these questions as I found this thread while searching for info on the EVX-R70. Thanks JohnE for your supportive answers.  I just purchased a brand new(old stock) unit. My current repeater is a Desktop VXR-7000 that I also purchased last year as brand new(old stock)and I wanted to have a back up ready to go if needed. I wonder if the EVX-R70 is actually a "better" repeater as purpose built....? I have found the VCE 5.5 Wideband software to download. I assume I can just start out by reading the factory codeplug data and then changing to my freqs, PL tone, hang time etc like I did on my VXR-7000?

The EVX-R70 has better specs for the receiver, it has a bigger (better) cooling fan than the 7000, and it also has an added heat sink on the transmitter. It will also do DMR Digital or work as conventional analog. As JohnE alluded to, it's really just a re-badged Motorola XPR8400 machine - but uses different CPS software. (make sure to toggle the software setting to 'expert' mode if you want to see all the parameters available.)

That said, for all it's good qualities, it's still really just 2 XPR mobile radios inside a box. I've been happy with the EVX-R70's I've set up. It's also nice that you can buy the EVX-R70 used for 10 to 25% less than the same thing with a Motorola label. The EVX-R70 is good and reliable for "regular" service - but they're really not 100% duty cycle 24/7 machines. I would never run one over 25 watts if I wanted it to live for years.

It's even simpler. Just start up the software - and in the top level menu items - select "view"  choices should be something like basic / expert.  Select expert.  Now you see all the options for rear accessory connector & CWID.

The built in Help files in the CPS are worthwhile - even if they are somewhat cryptic.

HI, I am trying to run this software, and getting an error when I try to lauch it..  I am running Win 11, but even trying to run in Win 7 compatibility mode and running as administrator don't help... 

Any advice.. don't have a bunch of old windows boxes laying around unfortunately? 

Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 10.23.56 AM.jpeg

Ok, one crisis addressed.. I did have an older PC, and was able to run this software.. but now, the repeater won't connect...  I have two different cables I purchased, and neither of them seem to work. I don't see the COM Port setting usually seen with Vertex software, and in device manager - I don't see any com ports registering when I plug in the USB cable... thoughts? 

... the repeater was indeed connected with power on, and running for several minutes In case there was some boot up procedure.. also restarted software after repeater was connected and running to see if it had to be connected at boot.. didnt make a difference. 

Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 11.07.59 AM.png

4 minutes ago, zargnut said:

Ok, one crisis addressed.. I did have an older PC, and was able to run this software.. but now, the repeater won't connect...  I have two different cables I purchased, and neither of them seem to work. I don't see the COM Port setting usually seen with Vertex software, and in device manager - I don't see any com ports registering when I plug in the USB cable... thoughts? 

... the repeater was indeed connected with power on, and running for several minutes In case there was some boot up procedure.. also restarted software after repeater was connected and running to see if it had to be connected at boot.. didnt make a difference. 

Screenshot 2023-05-05 at 11.07.59 AM.png

Look in Device Manager for any issues.

You'll need the EVX-R70 5.5 Build 34 US Version Narrowband CPS, not the International version. Also, you need the appropriate driver. I'll have to check my other computer for thd correct driver. Also, the computer needs to be the 64 bit Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 operating system for the CPS to work with the Codeplug. I doubt that Windows 10 will work but, I know that Windows 11 won't work.

10 hours ago, Radioguy7268 said:

The EVX repeater wants to connect as an IP device - even through your USB cable.  You may have some type of conflict with internal addresses vs. the IP address of the repeater itself. Since you cannot change the repeater IP until you actually can read/write the repeater, you are left guessing what address might be conflicting.

The standard IP CPS connection address for an EVX repeater would be: 192.168.10.1

You also need to have open Ports in the 50000 range, with no funking forwarding or firewall blocks on your PC.

There's a guy named Wayne Holmes over in the EU who works for Motorola and has his own personal blog hat dives into Motorola and IP addresses/networking/port issues. He's worth bookmarking, and he has more information, patience and details than you would ever get out of me:

https://cwh050.blogspot.com/2012/10/mototrbo-and-ip.html

https://cwh050.blogspot.com/2013/08/ip-repeater-programming-repeaters.html

Thank you . This was the solution.. It has a weird USB Network adapter, and required a fixed IP which I could not alter, and which conflicted with a fixed IP device on my network.  I unplugged the network cable from my computer, and it allowed me to connect to the repeater ? I programmed a single mixed mode channel. 

thanks

dan

4 hours ago, SherSlick said:

Wanted to note: Windows 10 does work, you just need to open the application with "Run as administrator"

I couldn't get the CPS working on Windows 10 or 11. I believe I was using CPS version 34 or something like that and to my understanding was the last version put out by Motorola. I downloaded the last version from their software archive which ceased to operate as of a couple weeks ago. No more software archives.

I did try to run as an administrator on both of my latest operating system. I ended up buying a Windows 8.1 laptop just for the EVX R70 CPS so I can program the repeater. The CPS is also finicky with the 8.1 and the only way I can launch the CPS is run it as an administrator.