KG-UV9P?

WRPT916

I recently bought a Wouxon KG-UV9P. A review:

First, I like this radio, but I had intended to purchase the KG-UV8H. I wanted the KG-UV8H because it is so like the KG-935G that I already have for GMRS. I was impressed with the build quality of the 935G. I wanted to be able to share batteries and chargers, etc. They are not compatible with the UV9P.

The KG-UV9P is just not up to the quality of the 935G. Some examples: 1) The TINY screw that attaches the belt clip snapped off when I tried to fasten the clip. Also, the clip attaches to the battery, not the radio. 2) The cover for the computer cord (on the side) is flimsy and does not seem like it will be as protective as the one on the 935G. To make it worse, the TINY screw that holds it down is not 'captured'. So any time you need to remove the cover, there is a good chance of losing the screw. 3) The screen is difficult to see even impossible it you are outside. There is not provision for a back-light when in standby mode. It just goes black.

I still like this radio. A big plus is that it is CHIRP compatible. Even though the build quality is not what I expected, it is still solid. Keep in mind that I was looking for a radio similar to the KG-935G. I really intended to get the UV9P, but that was a shopping error on my part. If in doubt, go ahead and spend the extra $10.00 for the KG-UV8H, I wish I had.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/24/2022 at 6:13 PM, WRUC860 said:

How do I expand the Tx and Rx to accommodate GMRS?  I am legit on both.

Does the software specific to the UV9PX allow this expansion?

Thanks ahead

I don't think that most of the Wouxuns have the ability to be "opened" to transmit on alternative frequencies; I've only owned one of them over the years, a Ham tri-bander; long before I discovered GMRS and sold it on eBay after acquiring a Baofeng tri-bander that used my other Baofeng UV-5R accessories.

Which is too bad, because Wouxun makes a quality product.

I did ultimately acquire a Ham HT that opens to GMRS: the TYV-UV88, which appears to look like a Radioddity GM-30 clone, although I think it predated the GM-30's release.

On 9/24/2022 at 6:13 PM, WRUC860 said:

How do I expand the Tx and Rx to accommodate GMRS?  I am legit on both.

Does the software specific to the UV9PX allow this expansion?

Thanks ahead

Go to hamfiles.co.uk then on the left side, about midway down you'll see the file for the KG-UV9D programming & limit software. You'll need to sign in to download, it's free, but all donations are welcomed to keep the site running. Good luck, it worked great for my UV9P.