Radio purchase suggestions - newbie alert :)

moonpup

Hi all,

I'm new to GMRS, but have been a ham operator for some time. I'm trying to decide between the MXT275 and MXT500/575 (or others) based on my criteria below...

• Primarily only drive within my state and bounce between 3 repeaters and simplex usage
  • Don't necessarily need 50 watts and 15 would be more than adequate for my usage
  • Would prefer to hide the unit as I drive a Jeep Wrangler, but could be convinced to mount it openly.
  • For repeater use, I'd need to send the MXT275 back to Midland for the wide band update
  • I find the price of the MXT500/575 obnoxious for the feature set, but meets all my needs for out of the box readiness, but can't hide it and easily make changes/adjustments
  • Reasons not to go MXT275
  • The MXT575 is also an option but currently sold out.... wait or get 500?

Appreciate any help based on your personal experiences.

At this point in time... I really think the MXT275 with the wide band update would be more than adequate for my needs. I think the 575 is cool, and could be a good alternative... but the price and having no fan, depending on the heat sink for the higher power levels turns me off.

1 hour ago, moonpup said:

At this point in time... I really think the MXT275 with the wide band update would be more than adequate for my needs. I think the 575 is cool, and could be a good alternative... but the price and having no fan, depending on the heat sink for the higher power levels turns me off.

I have the 275. I've only had it a week or so, but I like it. Have a few repeaters programmed on and it's been a good radio. It has  lot of features too, which is nice. Even the stock antenna it comes with has worked well, at least for me....

I had the Wouxun KG-XS20G, It's a 20w GMRS radio that also receives dual band frequencies so you can monitor other local channels. It's essentially their KG-935G in mobile form with 20w. Great little radio for the vehicle, I just wanted something more. I ended up upgrading to a Wouxun KG-UV980p with expanded frequencies. 

@moonpup are any of those repeaters you plan to use on the same channel with different squelch controls on the repeater input? If so, I would not advise getting the Midlands as you'll have to change those setting when going between those repeaters instead of just changing the channel. Also, if I read another members interactions with Midland concerning the MXT275 wide band update correctly, you can order direct from Midland and request the update be flashed before they ship it so that you don't need to send it back in. You being a Ham operator, if you plan to mount the radio in a visible area I would suggest finding one that you can program with software, assuming you've done this as a HAM with other radios, and setting the repeater names to show when on those. 

I'm not sure the other radio (Wouxun KG-1000G) I'm familiar with is a good recommendation either, it's got a lot of features and power, but if you already have a Ham radio a lot of those features are likely redundant to a degree, maybe redundant RX is a good thing though, I like that I can monitor HAM/Comm/Gov with my KG-1000G on one side and the other be active with GMRS on the other. The price is right up there with the MXT575 radios, likely more once you add the antenna, but the features completely shadow the MIdland MXTxxx radios.

I feel like there is a better radio between the MXT275 and the KG-1000G for you, I'm just not familiar enough with other radios to make suggestions in that area. I'd almost say an HT with a mag mount mobile antenna connected to it while in the car/truck, but then you can put the stock antenna on it and be mobile. And you could be in it for under $100. I have really cheap UV-5G HTs ($60 for a pair) that I program using Chirp, these HTs are based very much on the UV-5R amateur radios.

3 hours ago, Screech said:

@moonpup are any of those repeaters you plan to use on the same channel with different squelch controls on the repeater input? If so, I would not advise getting the Midlands as you'll have to change those setting when going between those repeaters instead of just changing the channel. Also, if I read another members interactions with Midland concerning the MXT275 wide band update correctly, you can order direct from Midland and request the update be flashed before they ship it so that you don't need to send it back in. You being a Ham operator, if you plan to mount the radio in a visible area I would suggest finding one that you can program with software, assuming you've done this as a HAM with other radios, and setting the repeater names to show when on those. 

I'm not sure the other radio (Wouxun KG-1000G) I'm familiar with is a good recommendation either, it's got a lot of features and power, but if you already have a Ham radio a lot of those features are likely redundant to a degree, maybe redundant RX is a good thing though, I like that I can monitor HAM/Comm/Gov with my KG-1000G on one side and the other be active with GMRS on the other. The price is right up there with the MXT575 radios, likely more once you add the antenna, but the features completely shadow the MIdland MXTxxx radios.

I feel like there is a better radio between the MXT275 and the KG-1000G for you, I'm just not familiar enough with other radios to make suggestions in that area. I'd almost say an HT with a mag mount mobile antenna connected to it while in the car/truck, but then you can put the stock antenna on it and be mobile. And you could be in it for under $100. I have really cheap UV-5G HTs ($60 for a pair) that I program using Chirp, these HTs are based very much on the UV-5R amateur radios.

The KG-UV980P is the same body and software as the KG-1000g just different tx frequencies. You can expand the frequency with software and it's cheaper than the 1000G. This alone makes it a better choice. I can talk cb fm but listen am/fm, ham, and gmrs. I have 3 different antennas going to a triplexer. 

You can also check out the TYT TH-9800. 

58 minutes ago, Over2U said:

One installation advantage of the Midland MXT275, as I understand it, is that it can simply be plugged into a ‘Power Point’ (cigarette lighter) outlet.

As can the at779uv/db20g (mxt115, as well), but they don't have the remote display that the mxt 275/575 has. I think retevis HAD one in the same form factor (possibly ham only or gmrs) but I don't see it on their site anymore. Replaced by the app programmed one, maybe?

Greeting,

I have been a ham operator for over 20 years and I have had a gmrs license for 30 days.  I found my Retevis RA25, (clone of the Radioddity DB20g) to be a good deal for the money.   It is a micro-mobile with a cigarette lighter plug and in UV mode it can be programmed to TX anywhere on 2m/70cm I wish to operate.  I plan to purchase additional units for each vehicle.  I believe that being able to give memory locations a name rather than just 462.XXX will be a lot more user friendly for my non-ham family members.

9 hours ago, WRQH833 said:

I found my Retevis RA25, (clone of the Radioddity DB20g) to be a good deal for the money...

When programming your Codeplug, be sure to leave gaps between the different categories for later growth (instead of having to rewrite it from scratch).

For example:

GMRS channels

[gap]

GMRS specific repeaters

[gap]

Ham 2 meter repeaters

[gap]

Ham 2 meter simplex

[gap]

Ham 70 cm repeaters

[gap]...

You get the idea!

In operation, it ignores the gaps as if they were programmed successively.

On 5/24/2022 at 3:03 PM, Screech said:

Hi there,

All good comments above :)

At this point, I'm really looking for simple and something I can mount hidden and not worry about it being in the open. I ordered the MXT275 and am willing to live with it's limitations. For my needs I really feel 15 watts is more than adequate. As I get more experience with GMRS, I'll probably get something better... but for now the 275 is good for testing the waters.

Thanks everyone!