GMRS chirp repeater programming

TNRonin

Question

I don't live near a GMRS repeater so I have no way to get this sorted locally. I'm wanting to program repeaters along a route to my brother's place. If for any reason to teach myself how.

I'm wanting to use chirp so I can populate this with my other radios the family might use. Could someone please let me know if I've got it wrong and advise me. I've watched notarubicon and his vid. I think I'm good but can't check. TIA

ETA this is for my fengs until I get the kg-uv9gx.
5e435777c94fcd714122dd87f5dec5c8.jpg2922e2c67168d4da6903bd17798d4404.jpg

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

13 answers to this question

I'd turn ToneSql to Off for now so that you can receive anything and everything.
That looks correct, but I agree with MichaelLAX that setting the downlink tone off is something to resort to in case you don’t hear anything. 
I don't have an option to turn it off in chirp. What you see in this drop are my options. f2bad1f94a892e8eb51fcbe1bbdac0a9.jpg

1 hour ago, TNRonin said:

I don't have an option to turn it off in chirp. What you see in this drop are my options. f2bad1f94a892e8eb51fcbe1bbdac0a9.jpg

Actually you do. If you set Tone Mode to TONE, like MichaelLax said, it’s the same as turning off the receiver tone in CTCSS. 
If you set it to Tone SQL or Tsql or however your radio shows it, then you’re requiring a tone before your radio will unsquelch. 
And you really cannot have it set to DTCS. That is a different kind of tone. 

Actually you do. If you set Tone Mode to TONE, like MichaelLax said, it’s the same as turning off the receiver tone in CTCSS. 

Knowing = power

Now I know this. Here are the current settings. The offset value is automatic on the uv-82hp so it shows 000.000 no matter what. 3b250b67ad0498f87c0e9ed9265dbd07.jpg

Are you using a current version of CHIRP? I'm running CHIRP daily-20220604 and when I select a Tone Mode of "Tone", the Cross Mode column blanks out. While the above will likely work, [mention=5516]MichaelLAX[/mention]'s advice was to remove the ToneSQL code altogether since on rare occasions a repeater may have a different or no tone on the output side.
I do have the latest version of chirp. I'm taking the laptop with me so I can adjust on the fly. Ugh

21 minutes ago, yogurttragedy said:

Are you using a current version of CHIRP? I'm running CHIRP daily-20220604 and when I select a Tone Mode of "Tone", the Cross Mode column blanks out. While the above will likely work, @MichaelLAX's advice was to remove the ToneSQL code altogether since on rare occasions a repeater may have a different or no tone on the output side.

When tone mode is set to Tone, that’s equivalent to having the receive tone left blank.